Weird Time for Christians

Tangent from my previous posts.

On Friday at work, my openly gay boss came up to me and told me a joke about pedo priests.

Of course I try to live a Catholic lifestyle, so I just had to tell him "thats not funny, it's dumb", and walk away for a little cool down.

It was basically the end of the day on Friday, so I decided if I'm going to raise hell with HR, I'd do it on Monday in I still feel compelled.

I don't think I will, Lord knows I've told dumb jokes before too. But never a negative gay joke to a gay guy. I seriously doubt that I  would be treated the same afterwards if I were to do that.

#weird time for Christians

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

In no way can (nor should) the Bible be applied to the United States or its politics. 

Oh idk about that Blitz... there's a lot of stuff about Rome and Empire in there that I think could probably be applied pretty soberly to the United States.

1 hour ago, Oade said:

On Friday at work, my openly gay boss came up to me and told me a joke about pedo priests.

Of course I try to live a Catholic lifestyle, so I just had to tell him "thats not funny, it's dumb", and walk away for a little cool down.

I agree it's not funny. The Catholic church is the #1 child f#&%ing organization in the history of mankind. There's nothing funny about that.

But just to be clear that isn't what you mean by living a Catholic lifestyle, right? 

I'm surrounded by Catholics, and I don't know anyone who defends the church anymore. They may get nostalgic about their Catholic upbringing, community, and rituals, and maintain their faith in God, but they are kinda done with the institution as a voice of moral authority. 

I can see the frustration of a Catholic talking with non-Catholics whose only reference point to the religion is pedophilia, but I feel the same way about it as I did with Penn State and Joe Paterno:  given a clear choice between right and wrong, victim and perpetrator, they sided with evil to protect their brand. While still preening moral superiority. The consequences should be big and damning. 

• Plus1 4

On 7/27/2019 at 9:46 PM, BlitzFirst said:

Considering it was written by middle eastern men during times when people used Chariots to get around...I weep for your application if so.  Use it to influence your life, sure.  Using it to influence politics is a bad idea.

I was saying that somewhat tongue in cheek, but you don't think any of Jesus or the apostles' positions on and conversations surrounding Rome and what Rome represented can be extrapolated out to apply to nation states today? 

54 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

It's actually not and the fact that you're arguing something that is known worldwide to all scholars, all institutions of higher learning, and is historically documented...is odd.  I'll strike it up to ignorance on your part or just wishful thinking. 

With this assumption above, I'll give you examples of both documentation and the founding fathers so that you can be informed.  Please keep in mind I'm giving you historical facts and not my opinion and these facts are known to all colleges and institutions worldwide.

• Our constitution makes no mention of God or Jesus...not even once.
  • In The Federalist Papers, 85 essays that spurred support for the ratification of the Constitution, God is mentioned twice...and both were colloquialisms used in no religious way.
  • The FIRST treaty we signed as a nation, The Treaty of Tripoli, stated the following (It was ratified by all of congress and the president): 
  • Ben Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, and John Adams (noted by his personal letters and notes) were all deists.  They believed in a higher power but not Christianity as a whole.
  • In 1802, Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Church in which he said the following:
  • Here is Benjamin Franklin, in a letter, talking about his beliefs...specifically in Christianity:

The bottom line is our founding fathers were KNOWN to not be true Christians and they were KNOWN to not want Christianity to influence American Politics.  There was  a massive effort, specifically on the part of Thomas Jefferson, to make sure there was and would continue to be, a separation of Church and State.  In fact, Thomas Jefferson had his 3 most significant accomplishments put on his tombstone...Author of the Constitution, Founder of the University of Virginia, and the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom...which is where separation of Church and State is constructed out for all.

tl;dr

With the historical facts posted above, there is no possibility that the constitution is a Christian document.  There never will be any case where you will be taken seriously if you claim that and if, in fact, you claim it again, you are 100% unequivocally wrong.

Image result for yes yes gif

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So Liberty U is openly flaunting violations of their (and the attending churches') tax free status?

Seriously, at this point, tax the hell out of the Churches and force their tax returns to be in the public. IF they're going to be this big of a**holes, they can pay in instead of being a drain on society. 

• Plus1 2
On 7/27/2019 at 6:25 PM, Oade said:

You. I didn't say they "wanted" it to be Christian. It is Christian though.

Bulls***. It isn't, and a number of posters have proven you wrong. Pony up some sort of supporting evidence or get out of here with that tripe. 

Edited by VectorVictor
I was too harsh.
  • Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Bulls***. It isn't, and a number of posters have proven you wrong. Pony up some sort of supporting evidence or STFU and GTFO of here with that tripe. 

He hasn't been on the board for 12 days. It looks like maybe he already did STFU and GTFO of here with his tripe!

• Haha 2
56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's unnecessarily harsh.

I disagree--when the user was presented with evidence, he choose not to provide his own evidence to counter or to acknowledge that the other users had a point and maybe he needed to revisit his line of thought.

That lack of action is *way* more uncivil than anything I said, and had the user countered with evidence from the Founding Fathers that supported his point, then he wouldn't have been called out accordingly. Folks are trying to have rational discourse around here, and someone comes in, slams their viewpoint down, and when presented with a significant amount of evidence to the contrary, they can't man up and say 'my bad' or support their position--they instead mock what the other posters wrote.

That poster's actions (or lack thereof) is significantly more harsh and uncivil than what I wrote (which honestly isn't harsh if you think about it--if the poster ponied up evidence, as the second part of the sentence would then be rendered moot). 

51 minutes ago, Ulty said:

He hasn't been on the board for 12 days. It looks like maybe he already did STFU and GTFO of here with his tripe!

Looks like it.

Just pisses me off when you have posters that go through the trouble of bringing facts and valid points to these discussions, only to have them dismissed out of hand because they don't conform with someone's world view, instead of providing evidence to the contrary. Posters have made a concerted effort around here to use facts and document sources--as someone that does this for a living (and did for fun in my youth), putting one's hands over their ears and ignoring facts is not engaging debate--it's trolling. 

• Plus1 3