Frost's Blueprint for success

lo country

2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I don't think we are ready to beat Wisconsin yet either.

I understand Wisconsin has beaten the doors off NU in recent years, but I don't think they are light years ahead of NU.  If the coaching improves, as I expect it to under Frost and his staff, I think NU can go toe to toe with Wisconsin starting next year.

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand Wisconsin has beaten the doors off NU in recent years, but I don't think they are light years ahead of NU.  If the coaching improves, as I expect it to under Frost and his staff, I think NU can go toe to toe with Wisconsin starting next year.

We went toe to toe with Wisconsin in Rileys first two years so yes, I think we can hang with them with Frost at the helm.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

We weren't exactly owning Wisconsin under Pelini either and his teams did far better than Riley's.

I'm not sure if we can go toe to toe with them as soon as this year or not. I think we'll have more of an idea after our season gets going. It would be cool to win the West this year and if we can beat Wisconsin we stand a very good chance.

Talent wise we were and are "better".  They are simply and incredibly sound football team in all 3 phases of the game.  They have a definitive identity that they recruit for and develop talent in.  The fact that they have had several HC changes and DC changes in the past few years and haven't missed a beat is telling.  I agree that the road to win the West goes through Madison.  

I like that Frost talks about development of the players.  I like that Frost talks about culture.  Things, IMHO, that have been missing for a while.  I'm willing to give Frost time.  And he deserves this.  IMO, he was left with a team in complete disarray.  I agree with his assessment we have talent, it might take a few years to develop, learn the scheme, recruit for and change the culture of.....I see no reason why we can't be extremely competitive in a few years.  Wouldn't be supposed to see a big jump year 1 from 2017 results to 2018 results.

Mike Riley's first two teams played Wisconsin nearly straight up. He upset a Top 5 ranked Michigan State that first year. Ohio State got curb stomped by a middling Iowa squad this year.

It's really hard to sustain excellence over a season - or several seasons - that's why we're chasing these programs, but there is no reason to concede a loss to Wisconsin, Ohio State, or anyone else before the game is played.

I expect an immediate turnaround from Frost because we went 4 and frikkin 8 last season. A change of attitude should be enough for three additional wins alone. It's not exactly magical thinking or delusional fandom -- it happens all the time. Most recently at the University of Central Florida.  

• Plus1 1
58 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

We weren't exactly owning Wisconsin under Pelini either and his teams did far better than Riley's.

I'm not sure if we can go toe to toe with them as soon as this year or not. I think we'll have more of an idea after our season gets going. It would be cool to win the West this year and if we can beat Wisconsin we stand a very good chance.

I agree that Wisconsin was a thorn in Pelini's side, too.  I wasn't trying to make it only a Riley thing.  In Riley's first game against Wisconsin, that was a Wisconsin team going through a transition under Chryst (which was his first year) and they didn't have a great season.  The 2nd game against Wisconsin probably turned out to be Riley's biggest game of his NU career.  NU probably played one of its best games under Riley in that game, even if NU didn't win.  Banker's D actually played pretty well, forcing a few key turnovers.  After that game and the subsequent blowout to Ohio State, Riley really lost the team, and we saw what happened in his remaining career at NU.

The reason I think NU can do well against Wisconsin under Frost is the offense that Frost is bringing in.  Wisconsin does have a great D, but they can be exploited by speed and big plays.  Wisconsin's offense shouldn't be a juggernaut for the Blackshirts to face.  I know that it had success against Pelini, but I think that was more of a factor of them exploiting a bust in Pelini's D, and Bo's failure to adjust.

Good interview at the Peach Bowl from Chinander that fits here.

https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/erik-chinander-scott-frost-ucf-nebraska-coach/amp

“One of the reasons I want to work for Coach Frost — whether I coach for him at UCF, Nebraska or the moon — is that we believe the same thing,” Chinander said. “We believe that if you have 105 guys in fall camp — and you might end up with 150 on the team in the end — but if you take 105 guys and make them into really good fathers, really good sons, really good brothers, really good husbands and really good people in the community, you don’t have to talk about winning and losing much because it takes care of itself."

“Taking 18-year-old kids and turning them into grown men is the key to success. As long as we’re doing this, we’ll have good defense, we’ll have good offense, we’ll have good X’s and O’s, you can say whatever you want about that but culture beats scheme 100 out of 100 times. That’s what we believe.”

• Plus1 4
On 12/30/2017 at 8:49 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Mike Riley's first two teams played Wisconsin nearly straight up. He upset a Top 5 ranked Michigan State that first year. Ohio State got curb stomped by a middling Iowa squad this year.

It's really hard to sustain excellence over a season - or several seasons - that's why we're chasing these programs, but there is no reason to concede a loss to Wisconsin, Ohio State, or anyone else before the game is played.

I expect an immediate turnaround from Frost because we went 4 and frikkin 8 last season. A change of attitude should be enough for three additional wins alone. It's not exactly magical thinking or delusional fandom -- it happens all the time. Most recently at the University of Central Florida.  

Spot on

..the OP posed the “blueprint for success”..and a good post for discussion. I try to stand back and look objectively at the program, in response to this specific thread, IMO,  the boosters and fans are actually my biggest concern in the success of Mr Frost as he goes forward. Husker media and fans and I perceive the boosters (in secret) are absolutely smothering at times..

..the best thing all parties I just listed can do to support the “blueprint for success “ is simple leave Mr frost alone..! In the sense of critiquing his every dang play call and decision..this man knows what the heck he is doing. In part, his success at Florida was due to the school official gave him space to organize, lead, and execute his style of leadership..the same needs to happen in Lincoln. I perceive this is a 5 year period me must go through for him to firmly establish his methodologies and then the years to run his players thorough it..

..i don’t think we 5 years away from beating Wisconsin every year, I predict that will happen perhaps year 3.. it will take 5-7 years to put forth a Big 10 championship caliber team..and churn one out every year. I suppose it’s irresponsible to expect Mr Frost to win the big 10 every year, however I think it is fair to expect to field a team that CAN compete against the big 10s best. I mean compete, if the other team beats future Husker teams, they will have to work their tails off to get that win..and they be sore on Sunday morning..

so so I suppose the bottom line of my premise, I hope the fans and everyone else Simply leaves Mr Frost Alone, as in not smothering and hypercritical of him as he purges the cancerous areas of Husker program..

50 minutes ago, 1994 Husker said:

..the OP posed the “blueprint for success”..and a good post for discussion. I try to stand back and look objectively at the program, in response to this specific thread, IMO,  the boosters and fans are actually my biggest concern in the success of Mr Frost as he goes forward. Husker media and fans and I perceive the boosters (in secret) are absolutely smothering at times..

..the best thing all parties I just listed can do to support the “blueprint for success “ is simple leave Mr frost alone..! In the sense of critiquing his every dang play call and decision..this man knows what the heck he is doing. In part, his success at Florida was due to the school official gave him space to organize, lead, and execute his style of leadership..the same needs to happen in Lincoln. I perceive this is a 5 year period me must go through for him to firmly establish his methodologies and then the years to run his players thorough it..

..i don’t think we 5 years away from beating Wisconsin every year, I predict that will happen perhaps year 3.. it will take 5-7 years to put forth a Big 10 championship caliber team..and churn one out every year. I suppose it’s irresponsible to expect Mr Frost to win the big 10 every year, however I think it is fair to expect to field a team that CAN compete against the big 10s best. I mean compete, if the other team beats future Husker teams, they will have to work their tails off to get that win..and they be sore on Sunday morning..

so so I suppose the bottom line of my premise, I hope the fans and everyone else Simply leaves Mr Frost Alone, as in not smothering and hypercritical of him as he purges the cancerous areas of Husker program..

I agree with almost everything you have said, but I want to talk about the bold. Can you elaborate a little more?

On 12/30/2017 at 10:49 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yes, in the several UCF games I watched this year, I saw enthusiasm on the side lines and with the coaches.  Yes, winning does that, but it all starts wt a 'can do' attitude.  That cultural shift of attitude will make the difference in several games.  Instead of a an 'awe shucks' I thought we'd win that game attitude afterwards by the coach, we'll have a fired up coach who expects to win every game.  On the sideline I saw Scott Frost as controlled passion - he wasn't red faced scary like Bo or comma induced calm like MR - but controlled, involved and like Tom he appears to be thinking 3-4 plays forward.  When the team scored he didn't get overly excited like the Minnesota coach seemed to be against us but demonstrated controlled passion. 

Under Bo - it was an emotional roller coaster, under MR - it was flat line. 

Attitude adjustment + improved coaching + player development + best player plays + harder practices and conditioning =  Success

• Plus1 1
On 12/26/2017 at 3:15 PM, Hilltop said:

I have bought in but I wonder how many fans will really understand the patience necessary?  We need to refer to this during the hard times we endure over the next few years.  It's a long road that will have bumps...  we as fans need to stay the course.

..I’m with you Brother...I posted similar premise somewhere on here...the boosters and fans are my biggest concern for impeding, somehow or another the process..

folks just need ro back off Mr Frost and give him space..I hope they do..this won’t happen overnight, over a years, perhaps it’s a 6 year timeframe until we consistently field a team that can compete and has real ability to beat any big 10 team on any given day..

19 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I believe by year 3 we will be kings of the West period. 

Nebraska will be significantly more talented than Wisconsin by that point (with as good, if not better coaching). I will not be surprised if we see some blowouts in our favor a few years down the road.

Edited by Vince R.
18 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I believe by year 3 we will be kings of the West period. 

...I agree Brother..that appears to be the course..I came at the 3 year mark, for one driving reason..linemen..you can’t build one in a year or two years..usually 3 years to make a HS young man into a Big 10 Lineman..

...the biggest thing I watch going forward is development of players...some folks on these forums think that “development” is a abstract thing that can’t be measured..I disagree 1000%...one of the biggest tells in development and it also is a tell in recruiting ability is the year group of starters..to clarify, in recent past, both Riley and Loud mouth,  there are scholarship senior lineman on the pine and sophomores starting..that’s a great revelation and confirmation  of the staffs inability to spot right recruits and then develop them. I’m talking specifically about lineman in all this post..

for those old enough to remember, Coach Osborne teams his last decade had MEN starting..as in seniors and perhaps a junior..there were anomalies like grant wistrom..

when i saw sophomores and RFR starting under Riley and multiple senior lineman on the pine..well, it’s quite revealing 

20 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I agree with almost everything you have said, but I want to talk about the bold. Can you elaborate a little more?

Sure, I will try to clarify. I came at that conclusion (in bold) by careful analysis of the one area that can’t be fixed quickly, and that’s our linemen..we all saw how far behind both side of Husker line..I rewinded so many plays this years and had my dad break down what was happening (he played division 2, Tight end) and he went down list of systemic technique problems, due in larger part to Reilly’s stand up and go back wards in pass protection type offense..that’s what they practiced and emphasized..so naturally in a game, they do what they practice.. 

also, Our linemen are severely lacking in lower body strength and quickness of the ball..the Oline knows snap count..so it’s unacceptable to have the opposing d tackle beat the center and everyone else off the ball to the point of attack..

so so with the premise that it takes years to build big 10 linemen..that’s how I arrived at the 5-7 mark..and without a quality system to churn out those dozers like what MR Meyer had and Wisconsin, NU will never win anything of substance..it ALL hinges on the Lineman..they determine how far a team will go in many aspects..

object example..I think 2002 Ohio State verse Miami..Ohio State had insane, superiority up front and got the win, despite average QB and wide receivers..

• Plus1 1