Huskers Offense Always in 'Attack Mode'

Mavric

On 12/27/2017 at 1:23 PM, NWHuskerfan said:

Well I'll restate 17 plus.  The spread by Vegas is 10.  So yes an undefeated  team  that gets beat in a highly ranked bowl by 17 plus is a woodshed beat down in my Mindset.

Auburn beat Bama  by 12 and has played 3/4 playoff teams.  Thankfully the playoff selection talking heads had enough sense to understand strength of schedule

and not even consider UCF.

But all Nebraska fans want to believe.  I heard several people state, but Memphis beat 6-6 UCLA.  Anyone see what Iowa State did to UCLA.?

Not to mention the fact that UCF players running their mouths about SEC speed.  Not a good idea to talk trash.  Auburn Defense held most teams under 20 points per game.

I like Frost and wanted him hired 3 years ago. He is a winner and I see him making Nebraska respected again.  Currently nobody fears Nebraska.  

I hope Frost gets the bowl win, but realistically I just don't see it.

If he gets the win then I'll celebrate and be happy.   I'll  be the first to admit I'm wrong.   But SEC is whole different level then AAC UCF.

eating-crow.jpg

• Plus1 6
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I thought this thread would be a good place for this clip.

What I loved about this clip was when Alexander comes through the line to block the safety, the safety looks like he just about lays down on the play.  He is coming through that line fast to make that block with a head of steam....and he was a big boy.

Amazing the change in culture from this team to the Callahan years - wish i could remember the video it was in year 2 and NU fumbled the ball within 3 feet of #75 and he just stands there and hopes the ball will magically bounce up so that he doesn't have to get his jersey dirty....

On 12/22/2017 at 1:04 AM, Landlord said:

If the offense goes through growing pains in year one, I'm calling it now - it's gonna be the Tim Beck criticisms all over again. 'Too multiple!' 'Why do they do that looking to the sideline stuff?' 'Quit getting too cute and going away from what's working', etc.

Of course it's going to be that. RTDB Guy is going to have a coronary the first time Frost lines up in Shotgun/4 wides on 3rd and 2. 

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

This post did not age well.

To the opposite. We saw exactly that happen. Auburn's defensive line played very well. Their individual talent made up for the numerical advantages UCF tries to create in the box. Killans and Anderson combined for 3 ypc, with a long of 12. Milton was held under 50% passing for the only time all year, and only the second time under 60%.

UCF won because, despite how many different defenses Auburn threw at them, they found different ways to be successful. That's a credit to their offensive versatility and play calling, and a credit to their defense for playing well enough. That doesn't mean Auburn's defensive talent wasn't largely disruptive, especially along the defensive front. Instead of UCF doing what they wanted, they spent the entire game reacting to what Auburn was doing. 

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

So it seems like UCF did a pretty good job of overcoming Auburn's superior talent.

The post I originally made that supposedly "didn't age well" didn't say they couldn't overcome it, it said it would be a problem. Auburn altered what UCF did offensively. They completely took away their running backs and rattled Milton. From the very onset of that game UCF had to change what they did to account for Auburn's talent up front.

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yes, Auburn held UCF's RBs in check.  Probably because they were focusing on them so much that they let Milton run for 116 yards and a TD.  Overall UCF ran for 4.7 ypc, more than a yard better than Auburn was giving up on the season.

The fact Milton ran for so many yards on scrambles doesn't disprove this point, it reaffirms it! The first TD, a scramble by Milton, was caused by UCF's left guard getting turnstiled. The long scramble in the 4th, UCF's center got blown up. That's two key runs where Auburn's interior pressure forced UCF to change called passing plays into QB scrambles. It's the very definition of a defensive line causing a problem.

The QB scrambles and 100 plus rush yardage really proves the argument that you need a great athlete with some wheels if you want to win championships in college football.  It is always much harder to defend ANY offense whose QB has great run ability and the willingness to use it.  Some of greatest QBs of all time were not runners admittedly but, all things being equal, it is better to have a QB who can avoid the sacks and buy time to find a receiver or take off and run for the first down or even a TD.   Dam few defensive coordinators are going to wish the opponent has an elusive speedy QB as opposed to the stand in the pocket and be a target type.  It hard to take away the run and make an offense 'one dimentional' (pass happy typically) if the QB can turn an obvious passing situation into a first down by running.  

I believe Frost will favor the small 'scat' back RB over the big powerful grinder.   Ultimately he wants a big strong extremely fast player at every position, of course.  But if he can find one, he will sacrifice size and power to get speed I suspect.   Frost played in Lincoln with teams with superior speed all over the field.  The FB may not be found much in our offense in the future and for me this will be a disappointment, although I will never complain about wins, in whatever way we manage them.   It may be over simplified to say it but it seems to me Frost's offense is going to be 'sandlot' style football as opposed to something like Devaney, Osborner and Solich preferred.   Football has evolved over the past 20 years and let's give this new fangled stuff a real try.   Wins will feel good, although there will be some games sprinkled in when the errors and INTs and etc will come and we may wish we had the good old fashioned 'smashmouth' approach again.