Spring Game

3 hours ago, MichiganDad3 said:

Does anyone know how Frost ran the Spring game at UCF? I am tired of Spring games being nothing more than exhibitions for the fans. I want to see 1s vs. 1s and 2s vs 2s in real, hard-hitting football. I want to see players fighting for position on the depth chart. 

Two points:

1. That's all the Spring Game has ever been--an exhibition for the fans.

2. The part in bold, that's literally why spring practice and fall camp exist.

• Plus1 7

36 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Two points:

1. That's all the Spring Game has ever been--an exhibition for the fans.

2. The part in bold, that's literally why spring practice and fall camp exist.

MR ran 1s vs 2s, and Diaco ran some garbage D because supposedly the players didn't fully grasp his D yet. The hitting has been so weak over the past few years we just as well be playing flag football.

Every year we do our "soap" scrimmage (I hate that term) and we have done it different ways.  But my favorite way that we have done is is either with a captains draft or we (the coaches) draft the teams.  We want them as even as possible, I would rather have competition.  I think competition makes you better.  

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Like it or not, the spring game is an open practice scrimmage..  that being said, I would love to see the teams split #1 offense and #2 defense vs. #2 offense and #1 defense and get the position coaches in stripes so they are on the field calling penalties and making adjustments in real time.

That is true but from a coaching standpoint using "live bullets" so to speak is usually the best way to see how things are going.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Every year we do our "soap" scrimmage (I hate that term) and we have done it different ways.  But my favorite way that we have done is is either with a captains draft or we (the coaches) draft the teams.  We want them as even as possible, I would rather have competition.  I think competition makes you better.  

In Ohio HS we have 3 scrimmages against other teams before the first game.  I forgot about the old soap scrimmages.

4 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

In Ohio HS we have 3 scrimmages against other teams before the first game.  I forgot about the old soap scrimmages.

Dang, 3?  That is nice!

Yeah, I never call them soap scrimmages, years ago an old coach on our staff always called it that.  I never heard of that name!

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dang, 3?  That is nice!

Yeah, I never call them soap scrimmages, years ago an old coach on our staff always called it that.  I never heard of that name!

That is what is was called when I was in HS.  You bring a bar of soap to get into the game.  The soap is used in the locker room throughout the season.

In Ohio the first two scrimmages will involve 3 or 4 schools.  You will run 10-12 plays on O and rotate teams.  They will also have a segment that will just be goal line.  Also will have segments for special teams.  The last scrimmage is a real game. 

I wish college football would have where they would bring in 3 or 4 teams and run a scrimmage with certain amount of plays against other schools.  Maybe bring in 2 FCS schools and a D-2 schools.  Have Huskers scrimmage the two FCS schools (or lower tier FBS) and the FCS school can run some series against the D-2 school.  Huskers could also run scout team guys against D-2 school.  I think it would be cool to do, but put it in the category of will never happen.

5 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

That is what is was called when I was in HS.  You bring a bar of soap to get into the game.  The soap is used in the locker room throughout the season.

In Ohio the first two scrimmages will involve 3 or 4 schools.  You will run 10-12 plays on O and rotate teams.  They will also have a segment that will just be goal line.  Also will have segments for special teams.  The last scrimmage is a real game. 

I wish college football would have where they would bring in 3 or 4 teams and run a scrimmage with certain amount of plays against other schools.  Maybe bring in 2 FCS schools and a D-2 schools.  Have Huskers scrimmage the two FCS schools (or lower tier FBS) and the FCS school can run some series against the D-2 school.  Huskers could also run scout team guys against D-2 school.  I think it would be cool to do, but put it in the category of will never happen.

With more and more "secret" scrimmages vs other teams in basketball I think it will just be a matter of time until it happens with football.

My thoughts at NU...scrimmage (like you said) a lower school...charge admission for the "game" 1 dollar per ticket.  During the game at the end of each quarter raffle off 1000 dollars in "husker dollars" or even real money to a lucky fan.  

Make it awesome for the fans

12 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

My hometown changed the name from soap to Gatorade scrimmage years ago 

I wish we changed our to a "Beer Scrimmage"