SOTUS - Trump's first - will it be his last

SOTUS Poll Questions  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 minutes ago, knapplc said:

On the one hand, the press/intelligentsia complains that we focus on non-important things and skim over the issues.

I'd say they're more complicit in focusing on the superficial crap a lot of the time. Always rushing off to report about the latest feud or tweet from our so called leader.

+1 to the rest of it, though. Substantively, I thought Kennedy was good. In terms of policy, he made it hard for progressives worried he was too moderate to complain.

So, do any of you think Kennedy will be a 2020 presidential candidate or at min a VP choice?  I don't know what kind of depth he has within the party but it must be solid if he was selected to give the response.  The Dem party was smart in having a 'young gun' give the response versus one of the old folks.  I think he would be 39 or 40 then. 

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So, do any of you think Kennedy will be a 2020 presidential candidate or at min a VP choice?  I don't know what kind of depth he has within the party but it must be solid if he was selected to give the response.  The Dem party was smart in having a 'young gun' give the response versus one of the old folks.  I think he would be 39 or 40 then. 

I don't know if Kennedy is going to relate to younger voters well, to be honest. He did a great job last night (the correlation between how well a Democrat does and the veracity of ad hominem attacks against said Democrat by so-called Republicans isn't just a coincidence) but I don't know if he's who younger voters want to see. He also doesn't have the best track record on some key issues.  

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I hope so. Joe seems like an inspiring guy with a lot of sensible ideas that have broad appeal.

One hypothetical ticket I heard somebody toss out was Biden/Kennedy.  I think that would work in terms of appealing to working class voters if a younger Dem cannot win the nomination. I think they'd definitely be able to cut into Trump's advantage with whites & in the Midwest.

What do you think? Could you vote for that ticket?

47 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

VP at best. Right now I see Kamala Harris at the top of the democrats ticket

9 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

I hope so. Joe seems like an inspiring guy with a lot of sensible ideas that have broad appeal.

One hypothetical ticket I heard somebody toss out was Biden/Kennedy.  I think that would work in terms of appealing to working class voters if a younger Dem cannot win the nomination. I think they'd definitely be able to cut into Trump's advantage with whites & in the Midwest.

What do you think? Could you vote for that ticket?

Not wt Biden at the top of the ticket.  Yes, he has the most experience of all but it is time for a new generation.  I think Harris, Booker are more realistic choices for the Dems. 

Before I vote for the Dem party in a national election, I have to consider many policy issues - must be more moderate than Bernie. Biden may be more moderate but do we want old guy vs old guy again - before long we'll be like the Soviet Premiers of the 1980s - they kept dying off and Reagan didn't know who he could negotiate with.

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Before I vote for the Dem party in a national election, I have to consider many policy issues

If this is the case, with Trump on the ticket, that's just sad. 

I literally voted for Hillary Clinton instead of Trump. There is no other major-party candidate worse than Trump. It doesn't matter what their policies are. We cannot afford four more years of Trump.

• Plus1 4
34 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If this is the case, with Trump on the ticket, that's just sad. 

I literally voted for Hillary Clinton instead of Trump. There is no other major-party candidate worse than Trump. It doesn't matter what their policies are. We cannot afford four more years of Trump.

Well - now that you bring up Trump - it is a different story.    In the back of my mind I'm thinking - I don't expect trump to be viable by that time.  I still think something will happen - that it won't be Trump.  So I'm thinking new face repub vs new face dem. (Actually I hope McMullen runs as Indep if he can't crack the Repub shell)  Yes,  if it is Trump - the  decision will already be made. No way I consider him.  So we are in agreement there.  

And yes, I'm willing to take a risk on the policy side if Trump remains on the ticket.  Besides, we all know, once in office, there normally is a moderating affect as the president becomes the president of the whole nation and not just his/her party or the extremes of the party - Trump notwithstanding

Let me add - if the Rep congress continues to be what it has become (chaotic in governance and  loony tune in so many policy areas) , I may just say -  the heck wt it  - time for change across the board and go Dem - just too early to tell.  I don't have to carry the repub water any more.  We'll see who is running in my district and if they can make any positive changes long term or will just reinforce the craziness that we've seen from this congress.

Edited by TGHusker

If it isn't Trump, and any other Republican, then yeah that's a good point.  I'm not excited to see Biden run, Kamala Harris and/or Booker do nothing for me, I'm not seeing Warren as a real, winning candidate.  The Republicans become a much more attractive ticket if it's not Trump.

• Plus1 1

Donald Trump has survived chaos and scandal that would have brought down any other candidate or office holder in American history.

He's not going anywhere for three years, but it's easy to envision him stepping aside in 2020 -- having already achieved more in one term than any human who has graced the Earth -- and handing the campaign to a more palatable Republican.

I was pretty sure Trump would stay on script last night and be heralded today for looking Presidential. It's a move to marginalize every Democrat as an Obstructionist and a really smart one. Fact checking and actual policy analysis would kill the mood, which is why Republicans and Fox News will avoid it. He'll tweet something stupid tomorrow, and no lesson will be learned.

Change will come from the Democratic grassroots in the mid-terms. Not sure it will be enough. National Democratic leadership needs to be about 100% more compelling. With all due respect to Joe Kennedy, we need a fresh face more than we need a brand name dynasty. 

• Plus1 2

yeah...he will have at least 1 more unless something unforseen happens.   only the republican controlled congress can get rid of him and they are not inclined to do so.  he could shoot someone  on live tv and his supporters wouldn't be offended in the least.

15 hours ago, dudeguyy said:

Remember the time that guy yelled "You LIE!" at Obama. Boy, that was something.

Anyway, didn't listen to a lick of this deal, but I see Trump is busy spreading misinformation about immigrants again. The scapegoating of the immigrant looking to come to America is truly one of the saddest aspects of the Trump presidency. I didn't realize how fully the GOP would buy in to his hardline rhetoric.

Remember, Trump & people like him (looking at you, Scott Walker...) cannot pass their agendas unless they cloak them in massive ignorance & hope people don't notice while they sneak them by.

Published last year including research teams in South Texas: https://search.proquest.com/docview/1925766488?pq-origsite=gscholar

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That link goes to a login, @Huskerzoo

What are the Cliff's Notes version of what you posted?

Sorry, academic setting gives me access. A research group with access to a federal database conducted an analysis (logistic regression) to determine the impact of citizenship on the likelihood of disproportionate arrest for federal drug and violent crimes along the US Mexico border (presumably a location for a high level of non-citizens). In arrests for homicide, assault, robbery, and weapons offenses, US citizens were disproportionately more likely than non-citizens to be arrested. The only area this trend reversed was for marijuana offenses.

If we equate being arrested with guilt, this suggests that Americans are more likely to engage in violent crimes in proportion to the total population they represent. 

The reason I posted this is that many people make statements without showing where the data come from. I like to back up those statements with facts and data. It's a bit of a parallel statement to what was in the tweets, but we just had a whole bunch of hateful rhetoric posted around our campus, so it feels relevant to me.

• Plus1 1

Thanks for the explanation. That's interesting data.  Certainly I think we can all agree that violent gangs cross borders and are undesirable, but to show through data that native-born citizens are more likely to engage in criminal activity is a good counter argument to the hysteria attempting to be drummed up against immigrants. 

• Plus1 1