SOTUS - Trump's first - will it be his last

SOTUS Poll Questions  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

You know what hits me the most about Trump's tweet - it isn't the brag/lie that it was the biggest - that is expected from Trump.  However, his ringing endorsement/bragging on Fox News should send shivers down every free press loving patriot out there.  While we known it to be true for some time that Fox is 'all in' on Trump for ratings - this just reconfirms that Fox will play the role of the propaganda agency on behalf of Trump - they will scratch each other's back.  Trump gets his version of reality shown and Fox gets ratings fueled by non critical thinking Trump bots.  

Is it normal for a President to brag on one network? - I think not. Very dangerous when a president only 'trusts' and supports one news source.  Ok - another inadvertent Hitler comparison that I just thought of:  One of the main reasons, among many, Hitler lost WW 2 was that he refused to listen to his generals - the ones that  had other ideas than his.  Hitler thought of himself as a brilliant military strategist (sound familiar) - which he wasn't.  Generals who opposed his ideas soon found out it wasn't a good career move to do so.  Thus, Hitler became surrounded by yes men who supported his poor strategies.  Trump does something similar - he doesn't value opposing views, esp strong opposing views. He cuts them down.  In so doing he violates the wisdom found through the book of Proverbs in the Bible.  He surrounds himself with media that supports him (Fox - the yes men) and cuts down others.  The wise listen to the correction of others - what does that tell you about Trump.

Agreed.  This is dangerous, and exceedingly unpresidential behavior.

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Agreed.  This is dangerous, and exceedingly unpresidential behavior.

Let's pretend for a moment that I'm a Trump supporter (don't cut and paste a portion of that statement!!) - pretending is still a scary thought but I digress -- and that I agreed with him 100%. If I was a thinking person (now thinking person and agreeing 100% is first clue there would be an internal conflict) and I saw Trump's manipulation of the media and I also watch nightly news and see dictators around the world manipulation of the their media - it would scare the crap out of me by what I see Trump doing.  So this is beyond policy - we can discus the give and take and merits of policy all day long but the manipulation of the Co-First Right (Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Press) strike at the core of who we are as a people and a nation.  It is not patriotic to stand up for the president as fox news does when in so doing they are re-enforcing forces that mean to destroy our most sacred of rights - freedom of the press.  Does that mean the press is pure as the driven snow - no - but that isn't the issue.  Allow the press to be the press and it will eventually be 'self balancing' esp in this age of multiple media sources.  But prop up one voice as the president does, and we risk exposure to being "unbalance and unfair" (yes intended pun on Fox's slogan).  The result - a misinformed electorate that will vote itself into danger.  (you know many dictators were firstly voted into power by a misinformed electorate who didn't know what they were getting themselves into)

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, 45timesbetterthanemptysuit said:

Ive been watching the media and the administrations lie for years. 

Its not even close to the same. Right now is an unprecedented time for WH and media relations and to deny that is nothing short of ignorance to the facts

• Plus1 4

7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Let's pretend for a moment that I'm a Trump supporter (don't cut and paste a portion of that statement!!) - pretending is still a scary thought but I digress -- and that I agreed with him 100%. If I was a thinking person (now thinking person and agreeing 100% is first clue there would be an internal conflict) and I saw Trump's manipulation of the media and I also watch nightly news and see dictators around the world manipulation of the their media - it would scare the crap out of me by what I see Trump doing.  So this is beyond policy - we can discus the give and take and merits of policy all day long but the manipulation of the Co-First Right (Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Press) strike at the core of who we are as a people and a nation.  It is not patriotic to stand up for the president as fox news does when in so doing they are re-enforcing forces that mean to destroy our most sacred of rights - freedom of the press.  Does that mean the press is pure as the driven snow - no - but that isn't the issue.  Allow the press to be the press and it will eventually be 'self balancing' esp in this age of multiple media sources.  But prop up one voice as the president does, and we risk exposure to being "unbalance and unfair" (yes intended pun on Fox's slogan).  The result - a misinformed electorate that will vote itself into danger.  (you know many dictators were firstly voted into power by a misinformed electorate who didn't know what they were getting themselves into)

Exactly. What people who support Trump fail to see is that the power they're OK with Trump having is going to be given to the next president, and the next, and what happens when that president is ideologically opposed to their politics?

The lack of foresight from Trump supporters is astounding.  Whether you like the guy currently in power or not, it is in your best interest to check the power of the presidency no matter who is in charge.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Trumps behavior and attitude towards the media is gravely concerning 

What's even more concerning are the faction of Americans who are OK with it. We have a few of those apologists here on this site, and their obtuseness is on full display.

• Plus1 2

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Exactly. What people who support Trump fail to see is that the power they're OK with Trump having is going to be given to the next president, and the next, and what happens when that president is ideologically opposed to their politics?

The lack of foresight from Trump supporters is astounding.  Whether you like the guy currently in power or not, it is in your best interest to check the power of the presidency no matter who is in charge.

RIGHT ON AND WELL STATED.  But not just foresight - looking backwards is equally important.  Let me explain.  As you know, I enjoy reading history - American history in general and presidential history in particular (Great men/women move/make history and history revolves around them).  My wife wonders why I like history so much (boring), she loves novels. I just tell  her that well written history is like a novel but true.  So when you understand history, you understand the cycles of history, you can gain wisdom to understand what is going on today.  I loved reading the book American Lion about Andrew Jackson - not because I liked him but it gave a lot of good insight into him.  When I first heard others and Trump himself comparing himself to Jackson, I began to get pretty nervous about it - in fact I believe I made a post about those comparisons shortly after reading the book. 

Trump doesn't read much at least not in the areas he needs too.  I suspect his deepest followers have little real knowledge of history as well.   That is why they can so easily ignore actions that dishonor the OFFICE and they don't understand the forces at work.   Human nature as a collective, doesn't change much and therefore human action as a collective can be somewhat predictive - if we have ears to hear and eyes to see and not get blinded by our biases. 

• Plus1 4

+1 Knapp. As a very smart man said, “History is cyclical, not linear.”  If we sont understand the past we will repeat it.  

Im learning a lot I didnt know about Watergate from the podcast Slow Burn.  Like right now theyre talking about how Nixon and his ilk changed the words in the tape transcripts to try and make it sound less indecent.  

And the amount of focus on the “crooked” press and how they should be chasing the leakers and let the poor POTUS just do his job is spooky.  

• Plus1 1