A hilarious example of yellow Journalism

I'm in the same boat as @Comfortably Numb. I think it's fair to say CNN & Fox both spin story framing sometimes to try to get something traction. But comparing the amount they do it (or the general quality of CNN's product to that of Fox News) is laughable, IMO. Fox is an outright propaganda outlet for Trump right now. I don't recall Obama or any other Dem getting that benefit from anyone, unless you say MSNBC, which you shouldn't. The definition Knapp posted hews much, much more closely to Fox & even Breitbart than it does to CNN.

On the behavior of Democrats at the SOTU: What would you have them do? He's been laughably awful for race relations in this country, & the Congressional Black Caucus is a rather major part of the Dems Coalition. If I were them, I'd be insulted by how awful Trump has been for black Americans, and it would only make me more upset with him doing things like claiming to be the driving force behind record black unemployment - that has been steadily declining since 2010. Need we forget he is also the guy who led a years-long crusade to try to delegitimize the first black president as some nefarious secret foreigner? 

In addition, the same guy who's spent the past year trashing their party on Twitter with puerile nicknames like Cryin' Chuck, Crooked Hillary, Pocahontas & Wacky Congressman Wilson (who's leading the party that offered nothing but cynical obstruction for all of Obama's eight years) now wants to extend a hand & ask for bipartisanship like some moderate, fair-minded dealmaker?

It's pathetically obvious that Trump's only doing this out of concern for his own image. I'm not sure how else would be appropriate for the Dems to respond to someone so completely petty & full of disdain for them. Frankly, I believe Trump forfeits his right to respect every day when he hops on Twitter to attack someone new who won't attack back because they're an adult. I respect the office, but not the man.

• Plus1 4

19 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I'm not going to claim either (any) news organization doesn't spin their articles and I sure don't want to leave the impression that I viewed the SOTU speech positively but you may want to use a better example. I watched that thing and the one thing that stuck out more than any other to me were the numerous Democrats with their blank "glum" and pissed off stares and the large sections of people who figuratively did sit on their hands. I wouldn't have applauded 99% of what he said either but the fact is many in attendance literally did not clap. Actually calling it "scant" applause from the dems is being more than generous.

My daughter's comment, "these are the people elected to run this country? and they're behaving like kindergartners".  Don't worry, I explained to her that it just depends who is in the WH and that is how the other side always behaves.

This might be off topic some.  But, the entire "Democrats sitting on their hands" talking point is pretty ridiculous.  That's how these things work.  The party of the President gives him a standing ovation every 30 seconds while the other side rarely, if ever, stands and claps.

I'm puzzled why people find this odd in any way. 

Have people never watched the State of the Union address?

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 3
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

This might be off topic some.  But, the entire "Democrats sitting on their hands" talking point is pretty ridiculous.  That's how these things work.  The party of the President gives him a standing ovation every 30 seconds while the other side rarely, if ever, stands and claps.

I'm puzzled why people find this odd in any way. 

Have people never watched the State of the Union address?

I find it odd in that it's extremely childish behavior but yeah, that's the way it's been for about as long as I can remember. And I'm sure there are new first timers watching every time it occurs. My daughter hadn't watched one before and that was her take away.

The only reason I commented at all is because it was an extremely poor example to say Fox was using yellow journalism in their description of the Dems reaction at the SOTU. They may very well be the king's of yellow journalism so I'm not sticking up for them but just trying to keep it real. Part of the problem in this country is that we've become so vehemently polarized that we treat absolutely everything the other side does as bad. I'm trying to avoid that because I don't see any way we can heal or get better if that continues unabated. There are endless examples to use of yellow journalism so let's not use bad ones.

15 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

it was an extremely poor example to say Fox was using yellow journalism in their description of the Dems reaction at the SOTU

It wasn't. They depicted a caricature of the event, not a basic recitation of the facts.  It wasn't the best example, but it was an example worthy of the tenor of this thread, and at least as indicative of yellow journalism as the one in the OP.  Both were facts, just skewed to a certain audience.

I find it odd that so much time is being expended to defend Fox News, who are, as you describe, the current "king of yellow journalism."

• Plus1 3
15 hours ago, 45timesbetterthanemptysuit said:

Lol! And now its a "Bash Trump" thread!

that's the way it always is.   people complain about their governments...except in countries where the strongman with a fragile ego in charge makes that against the law.   if people bashing trump hurt your feelings i can only tell you to toughen up buttercup..  lol   

• Plus1 4

11 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It wasn't. They depicted a caricature of the event, not a basic recitation of the facts.  It wasn't the best example, but it was an example worthy of the tenor of this thread, and at least as indicative of yellow journalism as the one in the OP.  Both were facts, just skewed to a certain audience.

I find it odd that so much time is being expended to defend Fox News, who are, as you describe, the current "king of yellow journalism."

except fox news is more propaganda than yellow journalism.  only slightly less so than  infowars, brietbart, and russian bots.

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

The only reason I commented at all is because it was an extremely poor example to say Fox was using yellow journalism in their description of the Dems reaction at the SOTU. They may very well be the king's of yellow journalism so I'm not sticking up for them but just trying to keep it real. Part of the problem in this country is that we've become so vehemently polarized that we treat absolutely everything the other side does as bad. I'm trying to avoid that because I don't see any way we can heal or get better if that continues unabated. There are endless examples to use of yellow journalism so let's not use bad ones.

I would agree with that and appreciate your efforts.

54 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Sorry, it is a bad sword to fall on, I know, but I just felt saying that the Democrats at the SOTU speech sat on their hands was an entirely accurate depiction of what transpired. I addressed that one issue at face value, nothing more.

And this is why I go out of my way to avoid P&R anymore. I stated I was not defending Fox News. I didn't defend Fox News. But lo and behold, the response is "I find it odd that so much time is being expended to defend Fox News". Personally I don't have much of any idea what they're doing at Fox or CNN or MSNBC or any major news Network. I avoid the news like the plague and have been for well over 2 years. I'm much happier ignoring the sh#tshow our government has become.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Comfortably Numb said:

Sorry, it is a bad sword to fall on, I know, but I just felt saying that the Democrats at the SOTU speech sat on their hands was an entirely accurate depiction of what transpired. I addressed that one issue at face value, nothing more.

And this is why I go out of my way to avoid P&R anymore. I stated I was not defending Fox News. I didn't defend Fox News. But lo and behold, the response is "I find it odd that so much time is being expended to defend Fox News". Personally I don't have much of any idea what they're doing at Fox or CNN or MSNBC or any major news Network. I avoid the news like the plague and have been for well over 2 years. I'm much happier ignoring the sh#tshow our government has become.

So it's factually accurate, but focused on something specific that will give a specific impression.  Just like the OP. 

So either the first example or the second example could be critiqued, or both. But only the second example was, and continues to be.  It's a valid question to ask why.

• Plus1 1