Blackshirts: More than a Slogan

TGHusker

Those stating that the tradition is the starting defense is the blackshirts, regardless of performance, and the the name is more marketing now, are both correct.

I wonder if some of the "luster" thats lost is simply just 'changed times'. It used to be that 11 was the number of starting defenders. It used to be that there were more players (scholly/walk-on) that filled scout/freshman/jv teams (150 players?). It used to be that 99.9% of players stayed at one school and played for a full fpur years, thus requiring a player to wait longer to become a starter, if the opportunity actually ever came (especially considering there were only 12 games tops). And finally, NU used to be one of those few places that could sell a cool tradition like the Blackshirts.

All of this to state that it used to be "harder" to get a blackshirt. Now with smaller rosters, more games, more 'starters' and more attrition opportunity, its not quite as exclusive as it used to be. Plus, other schools have come up with marketing/gimmicks, some even in the last few years, that are considered cool. 

Just another perspective.

• Plus1 1

On 2/10/2018 at 3:39 AM, Landlord said:

How much of Nebraska history has the Blackshirts been more than a slogan? Were we known for aggressive, dominant defense in the 60's, 70's, and 80's?

For sure there were times in those 3 decades that we did not have the stifling D we became known for in the 90's but I feel pretty safe in saying we weren't giving up 40+ points on a regular basis as we have of late. I realize offenses and the game has evolved to make scoring more common but (I can't really speak to the 60's) the defenses of the 70's and 80's had a lot more in common with the 90's than they have with anything since.

As TheSker pointed out, one of the biggest differences is that there were always 2-3 guys behind the starter pushing to make the field. If a player let up at all in practice or a game they could and would be replaced. It made the starters better and made everyone work harder. Under Pelini and Riley we saw all too often that was not the case at all. The starters thought they had received the golden ticket and there was no reward for hard work. Getting rid of that lackadaisical attitude is going to be one of the biggest benefits of this staff.

Edited by Comfortably Numb

I blame Callahan for all confusion and dilution of Nebraska traditions, including the Blackshirts. 

I am glad Chinander thinks its the "greatest tradition in all of college football," but I personally never liked the Pelini-era practice of individual players earning and losing blackshirts, and it sounds like that might be what Chinander is planning to do this year.

As others have said, if the new coaches do a better job coaching up a full roster so that starters feel the pressure coming up the depth chart, then the problem of lackluster play will largely fix itself.  If you equate being a blackshirt with being a defensive starter (like the original tradition), then being a blackshirt is the same as earning your spot as a starter.  If you lose one, you lose the other.  

I personally like that Nebraska always seemed more about the team's effort as a whole rather than stars and standouts.  All defensive starters were blackshirts, no little helmet stickers like the buckeyes, seminoles, etc., and so I hope the blackshirt isn't turned into some sort of individually earned status symbol or whatever.  

On 2/9/2018 at 12:19 PM, TGHusker said:

Excellent article and even better attitude.  This is making me hopeful for the future and please pass me a lot of :koolaid2:

Some points from the article. 

1. Blackshirts have to be earned 

2. Blackshirts can be taken away - so must keep earning them

3. Won't judge the D players by last year's results. Won't look at film (except the Wisc game).  

4. There are no starters - everyone gets a fresh start and will be evaluated based on today and not last year

5. Blackshirts is a tradition that has to be protected

6. Best of all: Blackshirts will be a privilege it will be an honor once again.  :bonez:throwdabones1:

https://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/Scott-Frost-impresses-mother-of-Caleb-Tannor-by-helping-out-at-her-school-114928418

Refreshing comments from Chinander.  The Blackshirts is one of the best brands in college football but has lost its way over last several years with poor defensive play.  Other teams have gimmicks like the turnover chain or slam dunk in a trash can (weird, but ok...haha) but the Blackshirts embody an entire defensive unit's style of play.  I hope it motivates the team and how we play defense going forward.  :throwdabones1:

Edited by chamrocck
23 hours ago, Landlord said:

Callahan didn't do anything differently with the Blackshirts than we've ever done with them.

I think I have to disagree. Callahan may have managed the distribution of blackshirts in the traditional manner but I think it's safe to say he had no respect for our traditions and very likely put no emphasis on this tradition behind the scenes.

I think to some extent we may be splitting hairs talking about "earning" them as opposed to just giving them to the starters. I would posit that yes, traditionally they were awarded to the starters but that they were also earned. I don't believe earning them was ever in question until Callahan took over and then the whole deal just lost it's way under Pelini and Riley. If these guys practice and work like I think this new staff is going to assure, it's kind of a moot point whether they are earned or given to starters because it will be one in the same as it historically was.

On 2/10/2018 at 5:04 PM, Landlord said:

Callahan didn't do anything differently with the Blackshirts than we've ever done with them.

I wish I could find the article, but a while after Bo was hired, supposedly one of the players actually asked "Coach, what's a Blackshirt?"

2 hours ago, Toe said:

I wish I could find the article, but a while after Bo was hired, supposedly one of the players actually asked "Coach, what's a Blackshirt?"

If that happened it must have been a freshman who hadn't yet learned of the tradition or seen them passed out because of Bo's practice.

The Blackshirts were a thing, the normal way they've always been a thing, under Callahan. Remember when Zack Bowman turned his in after one of the blowout losses saying he didn't feel like he deserved it?

That's hard to believe. It's not like the university stopped branding all kinds of memorabilia and marketing with the Blackshirts trademark, it's not like fans and players weren't still throwing the bones, it's not like all the defensive highlight videos on the big screen in North stadium didn't have references to the Blackshirts, etc.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Refreshing comments from Chinander.  The Blackshirts is one of the best brands in college football but has lost its way over last several years with poor defensive play.  Other teams have gimmicks like the turnover chain or slam dunk in a trash can (weird, but ok...haha) but the Blackshirts embody an entire defensive unit's style of play.  I hope it motivates the team and how we play defense going forward.  :throwdabones1:

Agree. I think  Chinander's comments are to send a signal that the D effort should match up to the honor of wearing the shirt.  We may win or lose but the effort is expected.  If the effort is there and the players develop the wins will take care of themselves.

My take on this. The Tradition of the Black shirts was dominating defense. We haven't had one of those in a while. Our base package will be either a 3-4 or 4-3.. Either way its 11 starters.  Those 11 should be the black shirts. They earned their starting spots.  If you are only good enough to earn the Nickle spot, guess what thats not a top 2 CB position there for not a Blackshirt.  Just my opinion.

Now I know thats not good enough in today's world for the everyone gets a trophy award.