The Running Back Room

ScottyIce

On thread topic but off topic from what everyone is talking about right now.  Ozigbo is underrated as a receiving threat.  BTN has aired the Purdue game and the NW game right now.  He made some pretty nice grabs and some nifty moves.  He looked kinda slow but he made the plays.  If he has gained a step this year like some have suggested I think everyone will be happy with his play this year 

Just now, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

On thread topic but off topic from what everyone is talking about right now.  Ozigbo is underrated as a receiving threat.  BTN has aired the Purdue game and the NW game right now.  He made some pretty nice grabs and some nifty moves.  He looked kinda slow but he made the plays.  If he has gained a step this year like some have suggested I think everyone will be happy with his play this year 

This is that part that people are missing.  He may have gained a step but you don't go from "kinda slow" to track speed like Bell and Washington by gaining a step.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I have generally overlooked Ozigbo's receiving, but yes he does catch the ball well out of the backfield.  I don't know if he's better than Washington or Bell, but I am sure it's an aspect that Frost and Held like about Oz.

26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is that part that people are missing.  He may have gained a step but you don't go from "kinda slow" to track speed like Bell and Washington by gaining a step.

I will miss having a hammer in the toolbox though but I agree. Frost leans on the side of speed so he wants guys who can take it to the house on any given play. Speed can't be coached which is an area Ozigbo is behind on but here's the thing, physicality can be taught with speedy guys like Bell and Washington. That could be a deadly combo.

4 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

That would leave us with Wilbon, Bell, Bradley and Washington getting the bulk of the snaps with plenty of handoffs going to Spielman and Miles Jones as well. Should be very interesting to see how this all shakes outs. It feels like we have multiple options for multiple roles. Will be interesting if Mazour finds a niche or if Ben Miles finds a role. They have already said they will not be using a true Fullback.

4 hours ago, ScottyIce said:

Looks like he found one...

The niche, yes!   The role? No.  (Unless Ben Miles found a role at Texas A&M.)  :lol:

6 hours ago, brophog said:

The other two players being put on scholarship are pretty predictable. Several linebackers have failed to surpass Weinmaster to the point of leaving the team. Frost's offense uses more two tights than people realize. Mazour being on scholarship is intriguing. A lot of us have liked the glimpses of him we've seen. Apparently the staff does, too. Excited to see what this means.

Member the days when being beat out by a walkon made a guy work that much harder?  I do.

1 hour ago, admo said:

With Tre hanging up the spikes, I am very interested and excited to see what Bell, Wash and Miles Jones can do.  I know what Oz can do, and some of it is good.  Just not as eager to see him get the bulk reps of the first two backs.

Miles Jones has definitely been making some noise lately. I could see any of these three guys lining up in Duck R spot too. Perhaps we see the diamond formation again like we did with Taylor Martinez, Rex Burkhead, and Roy Helu.

It's going to be refreshing to see playmakers on the field. A lot of new faces but I think they're more than capable. They have an awesome staff to develop them throughout this season and beyond.

18 hours ago, FTW said:

I will miss having a hammer in the toolbox though but I agree. Frost leans on the side of speed so he wants guys who can take it to the house on any given play. Speed can't be coached which is an area Ozigbo is behind on but here's the thing, physicality can be taught with speedy guys like Bell and Washington. That could be a deadly combo.

Zig is the only RB with any real experience at this level.........that may come in handy??

4 hours ago, Hunter94 said:

Zig is the only RB with any real experience at this level.........that may come in handy??

I think all the backs will come in handy. He needs to show more consistency this year if he wants more carries. His career thus far it seems he can't find a rhythm. I am attributing that to poor coaching. He may be one who benefits from this new staff.