Parkland, FL High School Shooting

2 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Wow...I never thought I'd be able to see someone pack so much incorrect, bulls*** information into one post. That takes talent...

...anyway, since we still obviously have people believing the "teachers don't work" ignorance, let's break it down.

• 365 Days in a year.
    • 173 Days in a school year. 
    • 22 Teacher In-Service (read: Working) days.
    • 105 Weekend Days.
    • 65 Days without school (520 work hours)
      • Teachers are required where I'm at to obtain 36 hours of continuing education credits yearly, which translates into ~55 actual hours (because a three hour credit course typically runs 4-4.5 hours long, a two hour credit course runs 2.5-2.75 hours, etc.)
      • Teachers typically are required to work various school functions gratis. That includes (but is not limited to): dances, parent/teacher conferences, meet the teacher nights, science/math/art nights to the tune of ~20 hours per school year. 
      • Teachers typically work overtime, including going in early, working late, and working on weekends. Most of the teachers I know personally put in at least 10 hours of overtime a week, which averages to two hours of OT/day they're teaching. So for a school day of 173 days, that's ~345 hours. 
      • Accumulating all of the extra work teachers put in comes to ~420 hours. 
      • Subtracting the extra work leaves teachers with ~100 hours during a year, or roughly 2.5 weeks (at 40 hours/week) off per calendar year. 

As for school budgets, that's not a "crazy" amount of money. In fact, that's actually low, and it should be higher, as that level of funding typically means a lack of resources, overcrowded classrooms, and a low technology profile. Schooling children, when done correctly, isn't cheap, and it's something we as a country are not putting nearly enough money into. 

re: Sex Ed, you need to provide proof. That's just a ridiculous, inflammatory claim made to generalize and degrade a group of people you don't agree with by associating them with a known falsehood. 

As for the Florida school, it already has been documented that they had guards. Having more guns doesn't equate into safety--we've seen this since the repeal of the Brady Bill, and it would be documented further if the NRA whores in Congress would allow funding for CDC studies concerning gun violence. 

Also, let's be honest--the GOP has been systematically undercutting public school funding for decades now to the point where they're having to procure their own office and classroom supplies to effectively educate children. What in the holy f*** makes any sane, rational person think they're going to fund teachers getting their CHL and paying for guns, ammo, holsters, cleaning supplies, and a case, when they can't even bother to provide funding for Kleenex, construction paper, or glue?

So wait a second...teachers are required to work some additional time off the clock and pursue some continuing education? Wow. Good thing no other professions require that. They work 8-9 nine months a year and less hours a day than I do. 

As a county we spend around $13,000-15,000 of taxpayer money per kid per year. That’s MORE than sufficient to educate kids. It’s also plenty to make sure kids have pencils, paper, amd kleenex. The problem isn’t a lack of funding, it’s that much of that is wasted. Too many overpaid bureaucrats and too many underpaid teachers. It’s a simple prob;em to solve.

The Florida school had one guard for a large campus with multiple buildings and a couple thousand kids. Is one guard enough? Maybe not. But it’s something to consider.

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I guess you’re not familiar with rhetorical questions? I’ve seen OPS’ budget. i know exactly where and how they waste taxpayer money. As you don’t seem to know (or care), I was simply drawing your attention to it.

You'll understand that this may be less than believable when the source you cite isn't known for veracity.

• Plus1 1

I would agree that a part of our problem in Okla is too many school districts wt too many high paid admin staff.    I wouldn't want mega districts as the best education has local influence but there is no reason why here in this state we can't have country wide administration for the rural counties.   Then you can pay teachers more and create a more secure environment. 

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

OPS is ABSOLUTELY the Venezuela of public school systems.

Repeating this does not make it so, nor does repeating this mean that their sex education program is objectively wrong. It's clear you disagree with it, but none of this discussion on sex ed at OPS has anything to do with this topic. 

It's telling that the conversation got turned to this subject rather than guns, or another school shooting. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

So wait a second...teachers are required to work some additional time off the clock and pursue some continuing education? Wow. Good thing no other professions require that. They work 8-9 nine months a year and less hours a day than I do. 

As a county we spend around $13,000-15,000 of taxpayer money per kid per year. That’s MORE than sufficient to educate kids. It’s also plenty to make sure kids have pencils, paper, amd kleenex. The problem isn’t a lack of funding, it’s that much of that is wasted. Too many overpaid bureaucrats and too many underpaid teachers. It’s a simple prob;em to solve.

The Florida school had one guard for a large campus with multiple buildings and a couple thousand kids. Is one guard enough? Maybe not. But it’s something to consider.

Apparently when presented with hard facts and numbers, your response is to go deeper with the derp instead of actually addressing your ignorance?  :facepalm:

The discussion isn’t about other professions—the discussion is you throwing out slander against teachers by saying they only work eight or nine months, when in actuality they work all but 2.5 weeks out of the year, which is on par with the amount of the vacation some people get in a year. You haven’t addressed your incorrect perception of teachers, which completely undermines any ability you have to speak about education, OPS, or the like without coming off like a crazy partisan hack. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I would agree that a part of our problem in Okla is too many school districts wt too many high paid admin staff.    I wouldn't want mega districts as the best education has local influence but there is no reason why here in this state we can't have country wide administration for the rural counties.   Then you can pay teachers more and create a more secure environment. 

Absolutely. It’s amazing how much we spend on public education. Yet we have teachers making far too little and being asked to buy basic school supplies themselves and horrible educational outcomes. And overpaid and bloated administrative staffs are a huge part of it.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Repeating this does not make it so, nor does repeating this mean that their sex education program is objectively wrong. It's clear you disagree with it, but none of this discussion on sex ed at OPS has anything to do with this topic. 

It's telling that the conversation got turned to this subject rather than guns, or another school shooting. 

Whether OPS is the Venezuela of school distrists is a largely separate question from whether the sex ed curriculum is wrong. The money we waste on that liberal nonsense is only part of the waste that can be found there.

The sex ed curriculum is bizarrely inappropriate. You can make a good argument that schools should teach basic sex ed. In my opinion, that would include teaching about human reproduction, the risks of pregnancy and disease that sex involves, and the means available to mitigate those risks. Period. When a curriculum moves far past that to encourage experimentation with gay relationships, anal and oral sex, masturbation, etc. then we’ve descended far down the rabbit hole.

3 minutes ago, commando said:

the trained and armed security guard at the high school froze and didn't enter the school to confront the killer.   but armed teachers are going to be the answer?

One coward who froze under fire means that arming guards to protect schools wouldn’t work because they would all freeze?

Nice logic there. How did a Political board on a Husker fan site come to resemble a chat section for the Huffington Post? Did the other conservatives simply get tired of this nonsense and leave?

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

One coward who froze under fire means that arming guards to protect schools wouldn’t work because they would all freeze?

Nice logic there. How did a Political board on a Husker fan site come to resemble a chat section for the Huffington Post? Did the other conservatives simply get tired of this nonsense and leave?

fiscal conservatives are wondering where all the money to pay for all these guards, their training, and weapons is going to come from.  you said that there is no money left for everything else so where will the money come from.  and having guards there doesn't mean they will always fail...nor that that will always work.

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

fwiw...i am a conservative.....just not the kind of conservative that the party has changed to.  i can't support what the republican party ahs morphed into.    if that makes me a liberal in your eyes...well....so be it buttercup..

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How did a Political board on a Husker fan site come to resemble a chat section for the Huffington Post? Did the other conservatives simply get tired of this nonsense and leave?

The Husker Fans who post on this board are, in my experience, among the smartest of any Husker message board.  Being quite clever, we respect and expect factually-based discussions on just about every subject. You see that in Husker Football, in P&R, everywhere.  Many other Husker message boards, like most any message board, relies mostly on emotion-based arguments largely devoid of facts.

Here, we have a number of people who demand and respect facts.  We provide them in defense of our arguments and when crazypants arguments are presented, we ask for facts to be supplied to support those arguments. And not just any facts do, either.  We expect - and should expect - reliable, factual data.  It's the best and easiest way to have an honest discussion about any subject.

And here's the funny thing - the facts have led many of us to certain points of view. Not facts that we've gleaned to fit our preconceived notions, but actual basic raw facts. 

When confronted with facts, honest people conform to those facts, and change their opinions.  Dishonest people ignore facts, or find "alternate facts" that fit their preconceived notions. 

Those kinds of people don't tend to last here long.  And that's nobody's fault but theirs.

• Plus1 7
4 minutes ago, commando said:

fwiw...i am a conservative.....just not the kind of conservative that the party has changed to.  i can't support what the republican party ahs morphed into.    if that makes me a liberal in your eyes...well....so be it buttercup..

Yeah, from that Ted Kennedy branch of conservatism. Got it. LOL