Parkland, FL High School Shooting

40 minutes ago, Dewiz said:

Had the FBI and Sheriff department acted on the tips and signs that the kid was a deranged wacko could’ve prevented this. Why is this so hard to understand :dunno

This wacko threatened to kill his classmates in the past and place a gun to people’s heads which were all brushed off.

But let’s blame the NRA and push a gun control narrative 

blame them also...but why the f#*k don't we even try to stop the tools that the crazies who get by the checks use?   there used to be a very good fertilizer we could buy that unfortunately was useful for making bombs that some crazy used.  it's illegal now.   but how many assualt weapons have killed how many and we just shrug our shoulders and say thoughts and prayers?

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, zoogs said:

Frankly, if this is what "conservative" functionally means in this country in this moment, maybe you guys should stop considering yourself conservatives.

It's a losing battle for your soul to have to prove your bona fides to these folks.

i don't need to prove myself to them.   i might try to make them realize they are being mushrooms and being fed  bulls#!t from Fox and friends but they will never believe me.   what i have done is registered as independent now.  i will try to judge the person i vote for on his or her own merits rather than paying any attention to whether they have an R or D or I by their name on the ballot.  we should ll do that anyway no matter what party we belong to.  i think alabama might have started to realize that this year.

and i will try to stick to the topic of this thread from here on.  i let wooo boy divert me.    he is like a russian bot spewing junk to divert us from the topic of the thread.

Edited by commando
  • Plus1 4

Every so often I try to imagine that Obama is president. And it turns out his campaign adviser helped get a pro-Russian anti-European president elected in Ukraine and that president's opponent jailed. He then refused to implement sanctions on Russia after they attacked Ukraine. He then gave away classified intel from one of our allies to the top Russian spy.

+ 500 other things.

Then I imagine how the "lock her up" Republicans would be reacting.

Then I wonder how they could be so completely self unaware.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3

We're going to go really off-topic here, but it's true that the deficit is not that big a deal. However, keep in mind:

- There are times where it makes less sense (for example, a healthy economy in recovery versus pulling out of the financial crash)

- What is obtained using deficit spending? A handout the bulk of which is directed at the wealthy and the top corporations, or needed social services that improve access to opportunity?

- The focus is on the inconsistency of the Republican message, which was always a context-less "deficits are always bad, we are fiscal hawks, fiscal conservatives"...line.

There is plenty of argument from the left that the focus should be on the first two and not the third.

Edited by zoogs
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Good Lord. Are you even reading these posts?

He’s not. Because reading something that contradicts his beliefs would leave him triggered. Facts and reason are anathema to Ric, which suggests he’s nothing more than a rudimentary internet troll. 

For example, look where Ric uses a Jesuit Review magazine article as a viable news source. That’s just obtuse and absurd, as it’s an inflamitory and biased news source that already views abortion as something abhorrent...so it’s natural that anyone or anything supporting it would be equally abhorrent. It would be akin to citing the publication American Rifleman as a legitimate source regarding the perils of gun control when it’s a known publication of the NRA. 

It’s like he’s not even trying to prove your points, and is just hoping that flinging enough excrement towards posters obfuscates the fact that he’s completely derailed what was otherwise a rather productive and meaningful discussion on an important topic with willful ignorance and vitriol. 

Honestly, trolls like Ric have to feed off of disruption and the exasperation of mentally stable folks trying to reason with his special brand of crazy. I worry about and for Ric, because it’s obvious he doesn’t have a handle on reality and feels compelled to lash out on a message board.

I just hope Ric eventually gets the help he needs, for his sake. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 3
3 hours ago, Dewiz said:

Had the FBI and Sheriff department acted on the tips and signs that the kid was a deranged wacko could’ve prevented this. Why is this so hard to understand :dunno

This wacko threatened to kill his classmates in the past and place a gun to people’s heads which were all brushed off.

But let’s blame the NRA and push a gun control narrative 

FBI was restricted as to what they could do by law. Has already been covered ad nauseaum. 

Dont forget that the person the shooter was staying with (since his mom and stepdad already passed on) saw zero problems with his ownership of firearms. 

Also, since we’re dispelling regurgitated NRA talking points, is it fair to call the more guns = more safety and “good guy with a gun will stop a bad guy with a gun” rationales proven false since four armed officers arrived on the scene in FL and didn’t go after the shooter? 

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

FBI was restricted as to what they could do by law. Has already been covered ad nauseaum

Dont forget that the person the shooter was staying with (since his mom and stepdad already passed on) saw zero problems with his ownership of firearms. 

Also, since we’re dispelling regurgitated NRA talking points, is it fair to call the more guns = more safety and “good guy with a gun will stop a bad guy with a gun” rationales proven false since four armed officers arrived on the scene in FL and didn’t go after the shooter? 

Agree with the bold . 

I Also have to wonder if Trumps personal vendetta and continued efforts to discredit/smear  the FBI and the Mueller investigation has anything to do with him blaming them ? Hmmm I think so 

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Big Red 40 said:

Agree with the bold . 

I Also have to wonder if Trumps personal vendetta and continued efforts to discredit/smear  the FBI and the Mueller investigation has anything to do with him blaming them ? Hmmm I think so 

Oh the minute you saw that the FBI failed to respond to a report on the gunman, you knew where Trump's Twitter finger was heading. The only question was whether he would allow any period of grieving for the victims and reflection on the complex issue, or just jump right in and make it about his own victimhood. Unfortunately, the President was predictable.  

• Plus1 3

I think the worrying thing is that folks like Ric are not mentally unstable at all, and shouldn’t be regarded as such. These are normal, respectable people in our society who have wholly subscribed to a set of awful beliefs. Energetic activism is not a bad thing, but it can be deployed towards “protect the DREAMERs” as much as it can be towards “crush the libs, fight the GOP-fanned culture war.”

20 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

He’s not. Because reading something that contradicts his beliefs would leave him triggered. Facts and reason are anathema to Ric, which suggests he’s nothing more than a rudimentary internet troll. 

For example, look where Ric uses a Jesuit Review magazine article as a viable news source. That’s just obtuse and absurd, as it’s an inflamitory and biased news source that already views abortion as something abhorrent...so it’s natural that anyone or anything supporting it would be equally abhorrent. It would be akin to citing the publication American Rifleman as a legitimate source regarding the perils of gun control when it’s a known publication of the NRA. 

It’s like he’s not even trying to prove your points, and is just hoping that flinging enough excrement towards posters obfuscates the fact that he’s completely derailed what was otherwise a rather productive and meaningful discussion on an important topic with willful ignorance and vitriol. 

Honestly, trolls like Ric have to feed off of disruption and the exasperation of mentally stable folks trying to reason with his special brand of crazy. I worry about and for Ric, because it’s obvious he doesn’t have a handle on reality and feels compelled to lash out on a message board.

I just hope Ric eventually gets the help he needs, for his sake. 

Yawn. So you try to ignore my point by dismissing my source as one you don't like. Then you assert I'm insane and suggest I need help...because I disagree with you. Predictable nonsense. 

So are Jesuits not allowed to have views now?