Russia

8 hours ago, commando said:

i've also read reports that the belarus railway system has been sabotaged by the rail workers to stop russian resupply by rail from belarus.   i wonder if the stooge putin put in power in belarus might be facing a revolution at home for his support of putin?

Lukashenko was in power in Belarus before Putin led Russia. He was democratically elected in 1994 after the collapse of the Soviet Union and then... never left. He's been a dictator there for almost 30 years. He's considered the "last dictator in Europe." They still call their SS the KGB and the cell phone networks are owned by the government.

They had more protests than ever at the last election and he's likely very unpopular. He was offered and would have accepted military assistance from Putin to stop the protests if was necessary.

Anyhow, their army isn't scary other than #s. They'd have even s#!ttier equipment than Russia.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I didn't plus one because, well...war

But I was curious and looked it up. The KIA number is roughly the same amount of Russian casualties suffered in the Afghan War, and that lasted 10 years. Total KIA, MIA, injured were +/- 53k so even getting close to that number, in 4 weeks. 

Hopefully someone sees the folly and calls this thing off. 

Like TGH said, Putin's death may be what stops this.

Russian introduces a resolution in the UN security counsel to declare a humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Duh. They caused it. What was the angle here? ……Russia  gets to send in troops to help alleviate the humanitarian crisis they created by bombing the crap out of cities? Balls.

“China was the only country to join Russia in the UN Security Council, voting for a Russian draft resolution declaring a humanitarian crisis in Ukraine.

Russia and China were the only two countries to vote in favor of the Russian-led effort, with the 13 other countries abstaining from the vote.

The draft resolution faced criticism because it did not mention Russia's involvement in the humanitarian situation in Ukraine.”

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Thought you'd like to see good news in the fight for the Ukraine:

The farming town of Voznesensk, a town not unlike one you'd see in central Nebraska, banded together to repel a Russian convoy of tanks, heavy armor, and supply trucks, blowing them *all* up in the process after trapping them and blowing up the bridge to the nuclear facility outside town. 

I mean, it sucks they're having to rally around each other among such dire circumstances, but it does warm the heart that it's happening and a group of farmers and townsfolk were able to repel the Russian Army. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/ukrainians-repel-russia-in-battle-for-voznesensk/#x

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60840081

NOTE: I'm trying to find the BBC video, because it had footage from security cameras and the citizens of Voznesensk they took during the actual fight blowing up armor and touring homes where the Russians hid/regrouped in. Wouldn't be shocked if Ukraine asked for it to be pulled because it showed the citizens' faces...

I was wondering if average farmers with tractors could destroy the supply roads.  Maybe it's so flat that the invaders could loop around any depression or obstruction.

17 hours ago, Scarlet said:

How long can Putin just keep throwing his troops into the fire?  

7 hours ago, nic said:

Russia didn’t do so well in Finland during WWII.

I was going to say the Soviets took a million casualties in WWII and still outnumbered the Nazis 3:1.   But I was off by a factor of 8

Historically the Russians don't do well fighting outside of Russia.  They won against Finland but performed so poorly that Hitler thought they would be easy pickings.  And of course they won their one front war against a German army split among 3 fronts.  Before that we have WWI, Russo-Japan War, the Crimean War.  

• Plus1 2