Spring Practice Notes

Mavric

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

No matter how many Frost interviews I see, I still can't believe he's really our coach.

No matter how many Frost interviews I see, I still can't believe how much he looks like my brother.  I often have to do a double-take.

Quick aside:  my brother competed against Frost in state meets.  Once my mom thought my brother would do well, and my dad quickly shot her down and said, "Well, that Frost kid's mom was an Olympic athlete, so, no, he (my bro) isn't winning this thing".  

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

No matter how many Frost interviews I see, I still can't believe he's really our coach.

Agreed. Most hope I've had in years.....On a complete random  tangent. One of the partners of the company I work for in Omaha was in Vegas a few weeks ago. He saw Frost playing at a black jack table. Told me that he was so incredibly intense at the table playing cards..... A good sign about the drive he has as a person who wants to win.  I'm hoping this translate into some much needed success coaching at Nebraska. 

10 minutes ago, Norhusker said:

Agreed. Most hope I've had in years.....On a complete random  tangent. One of the partners of the company I work for in Omaha was in Vegas a few weeks ago. He saw Frost playing at a black jack table. Told me that he was so incredibly intense at the table playing cards..... A good sign about the drive he has as a person who wants to win.  I'm hoping this translate into some much needed success coaching at Nebraska. 

Maybe it was Dilly Dilly's brother.

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Norhusker said:

This is fiction. It’s not gambling if you know you’re going to win.

Edited by ScottyIce

1 hour ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Are the subtitles in all the husker produced videos RRRRREEEEEALLLLLY necessary?  (Sorry, huge pet peeve of mine)

Going off on a tangent, I work for a company that does a lot of work on accessibility for websites and media. We've worked with some other universities on getting their various sites and such up to spec. (I don't think I can name names, but some pretty well-known ones - Ivy League, even.) This is an area that's problematic for us: most social media sites don't provide a way to attach a soft subtitle (closed caption) to a video, which allow it to be toggled on & off as needed. So instead, we have to do a hard sub (open caption), which is part of the video itself and thus always visible to all users. Being a state agency, the University almost certainly has some legal requirements to make things it puts out accessible, which might even include videos like this.

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Are the subtitles in all the husker produced videos RRRRREEEEEALLLLLY necessary?  (Sorry, huge pet peeve of mine)

thanks for the tweet just the same, though.

@Toe raises some good points, but part of this also has to do with social media engagement strategy.

A lot of mobile social media users use their phones in places they can't really listen to audio: school, work, a meeting, etc. Placing text on screen (particularly in a fun or creative way) increase the likelihood someone will stick around to watch the clip. Otherwise, if there is no sound, they may just keep scrolling because there's little use trying to lip read.