2018 NFL Combine

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Can someone who knows what happened why Harrison Phillips didn't come to NU private message me (don't want derail this thread)?

I really should start following recruiting more closely.

Look up the post 9 above.  I had posted an article about him form 2015. It alludes to what Mav said.  

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Re:  Griffin.  Kind of a long read, but here's Griffin's letter to NFL GM's.  

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/shaquem-griffin-ucf-nfl-draft-letter-to-general-managers/

What struck me is that when he was 8, an opposing coach tried to keep him off the field because football was for players with TWO hands.  (He eventually was allowed to play and had the game sealing interception).  

also - how sad is it that we are discussing another team's player in the combine, since ours aren't all that?

Wanted to bump this post. A long read, but well worth it.  

On 3/2/2018 at 5:03 PM, lo country said:

I saw nothing in 3 years that led me to believe he was a next level guy.  Throw in rumors and a below average to poor combine and it doesn't look to great.  Hope he gets drafted. Helps to keep the streak alive and always great to see former Huskers at the next level.

I’ve watched bits and pieces of the combine and read some highlights. The best stories are thise of kids like Griffin who have had to overcome so much. Here’s a kid with only one hand absolutely tearing it up. 

Griffin is 227 lbs., has one hand, and put up 20 reps on the bench press. Nick Gates, at a doughy 307 lbs., could only muster 20 reps. 

Imagine how much better Gates could have been if he had anywhere close to the heart and desire of a player like Griffin. Gates is a Husker in name only. Kids who waste talent by not caring, trying, or putting in the work don’t deserve to play for Nebraska.

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I’ve watched bits and pieces of the combine and read some highlights. The best stories are thise of kids like Griffin who have had to overcome so much. Here’s a kid with only one hand absolutely tearing it up. 

Griffin is 227 lbs., has one hand, and put up 20 reps on the bench press. Nick Gates, at a doughy 307 lbs., could only muster 20 reps. 

Imagine how much better Gates could have been if he had anywhere close to the heart and desire of a player like Griffin. Gates is a Husker in name only. Kids who waste talent by not caring, trying, or putting in the work don’t deserve to play for Nebraska.

Get over yourself, seriously 

• Plus1 8

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

Depends on what side you want to believe.

Bo & Co were talking to him but didn't offer until a couple days after Stanford did.  Obviously he chose Stanford.  He said if Nebraska had offered six months earlier perhaps he would not have even visited Stanford.  But it's impossible to know.

There is also some speculation that Bo & Co were thinking they would only take one or the other of Stoltenberg and Phillips.  They went with Stoltenberg first which may be why they were later offering Phillips.  But that's a bit of speculation as well.

This may be the case that Bo and Co only wanted one or the other, but the plain simple fact is that they slow played them both, like they did with a lot of instate kids.  They always wanted to see kids in summer camp before they would offer.  They waited too long Phillips and he went elsewhere.  I know he really wanted a scholarship offer way earlier than they gave him one.  Steve Warren was his trainer and I remember hearing him on one of the Sports talk shows talking up Phillips when he was going into his SR year.  He was very high on the kid. 

I don't think we are going to see the wait and see stuff from our new staff that we got form BP or MR staff on local kids.  

why they would feel the need to see them in camp the summer prior to their senior year is stupid because most nebraska kids are camping at nebraska before they get to their junior year. the pride in playing for NU might not be as strong as it was during osborne's years but it is still there. the coaches should almost be on first name basis with all the lincoln and omaha schools and probably kearney and grand island schools as well. (being an HSH grad that kind of hurt to type that.)