Under the Radar Things You're Still Salty About

1 hour ago, Making Chimichangas said:

If I recall, the screw job we received during the Texas A&M game

The thing that made this believable to me over other claims that are always made is Texas A&M was the most penalized team in the Big 12 that year, and they had 2 penalties called on them that game. And IIRC, we had a lot more penalties than usual. That's definitely statistically significant.

• Plus1 4

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

You are mis-remembering...

The CB...forgot his name, was supposed to be in man coverage and instead played a short zone.  It was O'Hanlon who ran down and caught the VT receiver, preventing a TD on that play.  Yes the Hokies still ended up scoring on the next set of downs, but that's on the entire defense, not O'Hanlon alone.

So what am I still salty about?  Lots of great things have already been mentioned, however, what still galls me today is just how openly crooked Big 12 referees were.  Steve Usacheck, Greg Burke...those two in particular were some of the most anti-Nebraska, crooked ass, mo-fos.  They, and their crews, would go out of their way to penalize the Huskers.  They'd flag Nebraska for the most ticky-tack things.  The problem was, penalties they called against Nebraska were never called on any other team.  Nebraska was practically guaranteed to get called for pass interference if our DB merely touched the receiver.  If I recall, the screw job we received during the Texas A&M game was because we filed an official complaint against Greg Burke and his crooked crew.

I watched the play 3 times today; O'Hanlon might have chased him down, but it's because let the deep route behind him' there was no seam route drawing him to the middle of the field. Regardless of what West was doing, deep as the deepest. 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I watched the play 3 times today; O'Hanlon might have chased him down, but it's because let the deep route behind him' there was no seam route drawing him to the middle of the field. Regardless of what West was doing, deep as the deepest. 

Not arguing the scheme, just saying it really wasn't O'Hanlon's fault that VT receiver was so wide open...and yet he gets blamed a lot of the time.

• Plus1 2

7 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

Not arguing the scheme, just saying it really wasn't O'Hanlon's fault that VT receiver was so wide open...and yet he gets blamed a lot of the time.

TRIGGER WARNING: 

I don't necessarily want to argue scheme either, but it looks like 2 deep zone; O'Hanlon's got his back completely turned to the outside receiver to watch any middle-passing routes. However, the only route that comes into his area is the Go that the outside receiver runs; the TE cuts an inside route off at 10, and it looks like an Out/Slant combo at the top of the formation. 

Did he catch the guy? Sure. If he would have stayed deep as the deepest, the guy wouldn't have been open in the first place. 

I've always felt a bit bad for O'Hanlon on that play for a variety of reasons. It was certainly a defining moment of that game but Nebraska ran 66 offensive plays and managed only 15 points.

Really, that was the story of that whole season - a championship-caliber defense somewhat pissed away by a below average offense.

• Plus1 6
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I've always felt a bit bad for O'Hanlon on that play for a variety of reasons. It was certainly a defining moment of that game but Nebraska ran 66 offensive plays and managed only 15 points.

Really, that was the story of that whole season - a championship-caliber defense somewhat pissed away by a below average offense.

I probably shouldn't throw him completely under the bus for that one play; he did a yeoman's share of work to seal the OU game that year. 

All we need is a field goal to win the Big Twelve Championship against OU with the best field goal kicker in the country.  Burkhead takes over the offense in the wildcat and pounds the ball to (I think) past mid field.  We need to just keep pounding it for maybe another 10-15 yards to give Henery a chance.  BUT NO......We put a badly injured Martinez back in.....call two drop back passes (not his strong point) and he gets sacked twice to take us completely out of field goal position.......lose the game and the championship.

What a complete failure by the OC with a chance to win a championship.  

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 3
16 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Personal one here:

Not going to enough of the away games with OU, OSU, KSU, and KU while we were still in the Big 8.  Living in Tulsa, so far from Lincoln you only get a few opportunities.

So true!

I took it for granted and now I realize what a mistake that was.  

36 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

TRIGGER WARNING: 

I don't necessarily want to argue scheme either, but it looks like 2 deep zone; O'Hanlon's got his back completely turned to the outside receiver to watch any middle-passing routes. However, the only route that comes into his area is the Go that the outside receiver runs; the TE cuts an inside route off at 10, and it looks like an Out/Slant combo at the top of the formation. 

Did he catch the guy? Sure. If he would have stayed deep as the deepest, the guy wouldn't have been open in the first place. 

If you know anything about football and DB coverage you should know that if you are in 2 deep than the corners should be in man.  A safety should never be coming over to pick up that guy running up the sideline by himself. It is almost impossible for him to get to that outside receiver.  He has deep middle and help up the sideline.  That guy should have been covered with O'Hanlon coming over.  Yes he was too shallow, but it wasn't his fault BP even said as much.  

• Plus1 2