Mavric

DB Quinton Newsome [Nebraska - Signed LOI]

HuskerBoard Predictor  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Player: Quinton Newsome

Hometown: Suwanee, Georgia

School: North Gwinnett

Position: Safety, Cornerback

Height: 6-2

Weight: 180

40 Time

Offers: Alabama, Auburn, Ball State, California, East Carolina, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Iowa State, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, Stanford, Temple, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, West Virginia

Visits: 7/29/18; 9/29/18 vs. Purdue

O8n7o.png

Twitter

247 Composite: #650 Overall; #47 S; .8683; :star:star:star

Rivals: #59 CB; :star:star:star 
247: #99 S; :star:star:star 
ESPN: #24 CB; :star:star:star:star 

Hudl

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

Just follow suit and release your Top 28 man

That’s where I respect him. He didn’t go releasing a frivolous list with 28 teams. He narrowed it to 27 already. He should just eliminate one each week. He’d have his choice right before the early signing period. 

• Plus1 3

52 minutes ago, MinnwiscowaSker said:

That’s where I respect him. He didn’t go releasing a frivolous list with 28 teams. He narrowed it to 27 already. He should just eliminate one each week. He’d have his choice right before the early signing period. 

That's a pretty great idea actually. Someone should do that, make it a count down. They could even turn it into a playoff bracket.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

.84 with that offer list doesn’t seem right 

Saban's secret is getting the #902 prospect every year.

• Plus1 3

On 5/23/2018 at 7:59 PM, Mavric said:

If we win this recruiting battle can we claim another national championship?

10 hours ago, Moiraine said:

If we win this recruiting battle can we claim another national championship?

Why?  This kid is just another kid 3 star that nobody wants.  

:sarcasm

• Plus1 1

OVing here for the Colorado game.  Also planning to take OVs to Penn State and Alabama.  Doesn't need to use an OV to Georgia because of location.  Oregon a likely OV as well.

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

If I worked at 247 that is what I would say too. If I admitted we looked at how many P5 programs were after them that would take away from the belief we are great at evaluating in our own right. If that kid picks alabama or georgia his rating will go up. If he picks nebraska, oregon or ole miss it will stay the same. 

• Plus1 7

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

If I worked at 247 that is what I would say too. If I admitted we looked at how many P5 programs were after them that would take away from the belief we are great at evaluating in our own right. If that kid picks alabama or georgia his rating will go up. If he picks nebraska, oregon or ole miss it will stay the same. 

I have to believe that they don't consider the offers because if 8 of 14 SEC teams offer a kid and he's at the same school as a bunch of other really good kids, that means the coaches see something the recruiting services aren't

12 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

I guess you have to ask yourself  who is better at evaluations, P5 coaching staffs or recruiting services? /TongueInCheek

I think it's fair to question what a coach sees in a player when they are the only P5 offer to said player or the only "major" P5 offer.  But when a kid has 20+ offers that include a lot of big hitters, I start to wonder where the disconnect is between coaches and services.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, Thanks_Tom RR said:

I guess you have to ask yourself who is better at evaluations, P5 coaching staffs or recruiting services? /TongueInCheek

I side with the coaches 100% of the time. 

Recruiting services evaluators are glorified sports writers. Coaches make millions- who knows what sports writers make- not millions. 

Also i will use 97 as an example. I value the coaches saying Nebraska was national champs that a bunch of dingle berry sports writers picking michigan. Sorry but the opinion of experts in the field means way more to me than sports writers. Those guys went to school for journalism- they are not trained in football.

15 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think it's fair to question what a coach sees in a player when they are the only P5 offer to said player or the only "major" P5 offer.  But when a kid has 20+ offers that include a lot of big hitters, I start to wonder where the disconnect is between coaches and services.

A coaching staff has various motives to offer a prospect as it relates to where that recruit fits on their "Big Board", and since we are not privy to how they fit on that board, it is hard to know how their evaluation lead to the offer. This is obvious but makes it difficult for fans to understand recruiting strategies of a coaching staff.

What if coaches gave a grade or rating with each offer? :sarcasm

25 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I side with the coaches 100% of the time. 

Recruiting services evaluators are glorified sports writers. Coaches make millions- who knows what sports writers make- not millions. 

Also i will use 97 as an example. I value the coaches saying Nebraska was national champs that a bunch of dingle berry sports writers picking michigan. Sorry but the opinion of experts in the field means way more to me than sports writers. Those guys went to school for journalism- they are not trained in football.

Both have blinders. 

Sports writers see the width, but lack the depth.

Coaches see the depth, but with almost no width.

The coaches poll is often done by someone's secretary. :P

It's also worth noting coaches are not scouts. They are two very different jobs with skills that somewhat crossover. See the NFL where many coaches have tried to be GM and failed. Lots of people "know football", including writers and TV personalities, but that doesn't mean they are equipped for every (or perhaps any) job in football.

• Plus1 1

I will say 1 angle I probably over looked. And I think its fair to say we all over look it- including rating services. I would like to know what criteria the rating services are ranking kids. What offensive system are they ranking them based off? Maybe there is a kid who has 5 star value to frost- but to a pro style attack he is a high 3 star. You have spread, option attacks, pro style etc. Many different styles of offense. Its impossible to rate all the kids as they would relate to every style of offense or defense for that matter.

3 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

To add to this discussion, I'm pretty sure coaches have access to more tape of players, and are able to see players up close with personal workouts.

Oh baby ... very excited to see how this one goes!

His 247 profile and ranking gives me a chuckle ... you got Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Penn State, Michigan St. and others ...

He is ranked #99 ... ha ha.  Just too funny.  This kid gets a nice bump into the 4* range some time down the road I would guess.

247: #99 S; :star:star:star  

• Plus1 2

34 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Oh baby ... very excited to see how this one goes!

His 247 profile and ranking gives me a chuckle ... you got Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Tennessee, Penn State, Michigan St. and others ...

He is ranked #99 ... ha ha.  Just too funny.  This kid gets a nice bump into the 4* range some time down the road I would guess.

247: #99 S; :star:star:star  

Offers over stars almost all the time. Most times they go together 

15 hours ago, famoustitles said:

Visiting this weekend 

This is too much for me, I'm already chugging Kool-aid faster than it can be poured. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Warrior10 said:

This is too much for me, I'm already chugging Kool-aid faster than it can be poured. 

If we could pick up another outside pass rusher and a couple corners, I might just OD.

• Plus1 4

That’s not a mid three star offer list or film.  Kid needs to be a 4 Star and possible top 250.

• Plus1 1

Just now, ADS said:

That’s not a mid three star offer list or film.  Kid needs to be a 4 Star and possible top 250.

Agreed that offer list is pretty nuts.

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Gut feel or real info?

Hey ... because this song never gets old and it picks my spirit up!  :-)  Plus I want a :bigredn: ewsom with an E!

• Plus1 3