National Popular Vote Interstate Compact

36 minutes ago, Whistlebritches said:

Use the census every ten years to re proportion the electoral college votes and call it a day.

Pretty sure that's how they do it now. The reason it's not directly proportional to population (per person) is that all states are guaranteed 1 house seat and they capped the total at 435 so to reapportion them they are limited to adding or subtracting whole numbers (can't have a portion of a whole person). So some people (me not included) feel that if it's not perfectly proportional then it's not good enough. And many feel states awarding all their EC votes to one person isn't fair. I would not be opposed to awarding EC votes based on the nearest percentage of actual votes. Say Nebraska has 3 and 68% vote for candidate A and 30% for candidate B, then award 2 & 1. 

1 minute ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Pretty sure that's how they do it now. The reason it's not directly proportional to population (per person) is that all states are guaranteed 1 house seat and they capped the total at 435 so to reapportion them they are limited to adding or subtracting whole numbers (can't have a portion of a whole person). So some people (me not included) feel that if it's not perfectly proportional then it's not good enough. And many feel states awarding all their EC votes to one person isn't fair. I would not be opposed to awarding EC votes based on the nearest percentage of actual votes. Say Nebraska has 3 and 68% vote for candidate A and 30% for candidate B, then award 2 & 1. 

It's called the House of Representatives for a reason.

Gerrymandering is a much bigger deal, though.

7 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I pretty much completely agree with this. There are much more pressing issues than the electoral college. For me, it's not a matter of being able to walk and chew gum at the same time. It's that I'm not convinced we need to chew this gum at all. And like you said, we don't know what all the unintended consequences might be. I'm pretty much a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type. I don't see the EC as being broken whereas I do see quite a few related issues that are definitely broke.

The EC gave us W and Trump - the worst Presidents since at least Nixon. That's "broken" in my book, especially since we know that every single other elected official gets elected by popular vote and it works fine.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The EC gave us W and Trump - the worst Presidents since at least Nixon. That's "broken" in my book, especially since we know that every single other elected official gets elected by popular vote and it works fine.

We have different books :dunno

I would say the United States of America gave us Hillary and Trump as candidates, the two worst candidates since Jimmy Carter, possibly ever. Pretty much screwed with or without the EC or a popular vote.

I mean if you want to call it broken I won’t argue with your assessment but we’ve got much bigger problems IMO.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Exactly. And the only reason people don't see this as a problem is, in their mind, their team won.

It would be a problem if the other team had won. That's party over country, and that is actually the biggest problem facing America right now.

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

We have different books :dunno

I would say the United States of America gave us Hillary and Trump as candidates, the two worst candidates since Jimmy Carter, possibly ever. Pretty much screwed with or without the EC or a popular vote.

I mean if you want to call it broken I won’t argue with your assessment but we’ve got much bigger problems IMO.

We're in agreement, but back to what I said before, we can fix the EC while we're fixing bigger problems. We don't have to do them one at a time, and the NPVIC has been around for over 15 years, so it can be a slow process while we're working on other stuff.

On a different note, I like how the NPVIC page has this electoral map view of the US (It looks better on their site):

325px-NPVIC_top.svg.png

• 2 weeks later...

This is kind of sort of, moderately, or not related to the topic - it involves voting in general.

Vote At Home options have shown to increase participation in elections.  It isn't a matter of 'getting out the vote' with VAH or Russian tampering but rather

convenience and privacy.    Garden County, Ne was highlighted in the article.   Bravo Garden County - lead on and GBR.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/23/17383400/vote-by-mail-home-california-alaska-nebraska

Last week, a county in western Nebraska tried something new. With permission from Secretary of State John Gale, Garden County conducted its May 15 primary election entirely by mail. A ballot was mailed to every registered voter, to be returned, either by post or at a drop box, by the day of the election.

That simple change boosted voter turnout in Garden County to 58.7 percent. The average for all other Nebraska counties? 24.3 percent — less than half that. (Oh, and the county’s results were available less than an hour after the polls closed.)

Just now, TGHusker said:

This is kind of sort of, moderately, or not related to the topic - it involves voting in general.

Vote At Home options have shown to increase participation in elections.  It isn't a matter of 'getting out the vote' with VAH or Russian tampering but rather

convenience and privacy.    Garden County, Ne was highlighted in the article.   Bravo Garden County - lead on and GBR.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/5/23/17383400/vote-by-mail-home-california-alaska-nebraska

This is how I've voted every year since I moved to Colorado. It really gives you no excuse not to vote

1 hour ago, GSG said:

This is how I've voted every year since I moved to Colorado. It really gives you no excuse not to vote

Me too. There's also the super convenient vote dropboxes outside polling places so you can even vote without standing in line even on election day.

5 hours ago, GSG said:

But you don't get  a sticker that you can take a picture of and post on Facebook.....:(

I always want to comment on them with a snide remark of "I peed in the toilet today, it's what grown ups do."  But I'm a chicken that hates confrontation...

• Plus1 2

I have said this before and will repeat here: Going to a popular vote for President of the United States is a VERY, VERY BAD idea.

This is where I hate the left.  They bitch, moan, whine, and cry when things don't go their way and they constantly want to change the rules to benefit them.  Where was this talk of getting rid of the Electoral College when Clinton and Obama won their two terms?  Most on the left see. pretty okay with how the system works when they win.  But when they lose, oh...then it has to be changed.

If Democrats, and liberals, want to win the Presidency then they need to do the "unthinkable" and actually come into the red areas and try to appeal to those voters.  Yes it is a tough road, but I don't want a handful of huge urban centers determining who is President.  The Electoral College is not perfect, but it is the only way to ensure people's votes in sparsely populated areas counts.  They go to the "popular vote" model and about 10 major cities in this country will control who becomes President.  

24 minutes ago, Making Chimichangas said:

This is where I hate the left.  They bitch, moan, whine, and cry when things don't go their way and they constantly want to change the rules to benefit them.  Where was this talk of getting rid of the Electoral College when Clinton and Obama won their two terms?  Most on the left see. pretty okay with how the system works when they win. But when they lose, oh...then it has to be changed.

If Democrats, and liberals, want to win the Presidency then they need to do the "unthinkable" and actually come into the red areas and try to appeal to those voters.  Yes it is a tough road, but I don't want a handful of huge urban centers determining who is President.  The Electoral College is not perfect, but it is the only way to ensure people's votes in sparsely populated areas counts.  They go to the "popular vote" model and about 10 major cities in this country will control who becomes President.  

This is not an example of hypocrisy. Just FYI. The Democrats are definitely capable of that, but that's not happening here.

I'm pretty flabbergasted as to why you don't know the answer to this question. The popular vote agreed with the electoral vote when Clinton and Obama won. They won the popular vote. They won the electoral vote. When both elect the same person, there is nothing to discuss.

I guarantee you the Republicans will piss and moan the first time they win the popular vote and lose the election. That probably won't happen though since they've rigged (to use one of Trump's favorite words) the map a lot more successfully than have the Democrats.

The last paragraph's argument is as silly as it always is and always has been. These groups of people don't vote collectively. They are individuals. We have the Senate to do what you're talking about. And right now voters in sparsely populated areas have their votes and/or voices counted for more than anyone else; in the Senate, the House, and in the presidential election. So you must think it's fair that they have the upper hand in all 3.

• Plus1 4