Husker Power getting a makeover?

According to Bill Moos the rumor of Nebraska's weight room facilities being upgraded is inaccurate and not true.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/bill-moos-says-husker-brand-just-needed-some-dusting-and/article_b8a3b5cd-5fac-558d-a87c-51d6dd6c303a.html

In a separate interview with The World-Herald, Moos said, contrary to some message baord speculation, Nebraska has no immediate plans for an overhaul of its weight room or any other football facilities. Moos said he wanted more of Frost's input on facility issues, but Nebraska generally has good facilities.

• Plus1 1

On 8/7/2018 at 9:26 AM, BigRedBuster said:

One of the biggest frustrations in college sports.  All this money spent on crap that, for the most part, isn't going to make a player better than what they could have been in the old facilities.  Spend millions of dollars for no other reason than to impress 18 year old kids.

If these kids go into the weight room we currently have with the right mind set and right coaching, a new weight room wouldn't make them any better.

What else are they supposed to do with the money? I hate the money in college athletics, but at least most of it is recycled into things for the players, since the players are a huge reason that the money is generated.

1 hour ago, Landlord said:

What else are they supposed to do with the money? I hate the money in college athletics, but at least most of it is recycled into things for the players, since the players are a huge reason that the money is generated.

How about not needing millions in donations to build these for no reason other than to impress an 18 year old kid. 

This is getting deep here, but maybe, just maybe that rich person could donate that money to a charity that benefits someone or possibly for something that benefits all students. 

Just a ghought. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, Landlord said:

Yup and there are numbers to support this. All one has to do is look at the top schools and how much money it spent on their football programs. Most of those schools are top 25 ranked teams in the polls. Alabama is the biggest spender in a lot of different areas. I believe they're #1 in nutrition and we're in the top 3 also. Nebraska is an anomaly compared to the rest.

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

How about not needing millions in donations to build these for no reason other than to impress an 18 year old kid. 

This is getting deep here, but maybe, just maybe that rich person could donate that money to a charity that benefits someone or possibly for something that benefits all students. 

Just a ghought. 

I'd be fine with a reduction in the donation required for season tickets... maybe cut that in half and call it good!?

1 hour ago, FTW said:

Yup and there are numbers to support this. All one has to do is look at the top schools and how much money it spent on their football programs. Most of those schools are top 25 ranked teams in the polls. Alabama is the biggest spender in a lot of different areas. I believe they're #1 in nutrition and we're in the top 3 also. Nebraska is an anomaly compared to the rest.

For the most part, all that does is impress the players to come play for them.  Spending the money on player lounges with cool video games or TVs in the toilet doesn't make someone a better football player.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

For the most part, all that does is impress the players to come play for them.  Spending the money on player lounges with cool video games or TVs in the toilet doesn't make someone a better football player.

With your theory how do you account for the fact players have in general gotten bigger, stronger and faster over time? Does small improvments in equipment over time not attribute to this?

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

But it makes a happier, more entertained football player.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

With your theory how do you account for the fact players have in general gotten bigger, stronger and faster over time? Does small improvments in equipment over time not attribute to this?

I would argue (I cannot prove, so my guess is as good as yours) that most advances in the AVERAGE (not talking about training regimes for each team, I do think these can have an effect, ie Nebraska's training regime in the 90s) player speed, strength, etc. of the last ~20 years are the result of actual on-field equipment, for instance: cleats (allow better agility and acceleration), artificial turf (speed), pads (more flexibility, and better padding would make a player feel able to 'hit' harder, helmet (that now have sun visors, better field of view, etc.), rather than the difference in the equipment that is being placed in the training room. See the following article on how close Usain Bolt and Jesse Owens actually are in terms of speed, when you get rid of Bolt's on-track equipment: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2016/02/18/lets-all-appreciate-how-fast-jesse-owens/80523426/

I think Big Red Buster is mostly correct when he is saying most of the money spent on the actual facilities is done to impress players, rather than otherwise.  Nebraska in the 90s (in my humble opinion) were bigger, faster, and stronger not because they were lifting with better equipment, and in better facilities but because they had a better training program.  Most of the average player growth and strength, would be in regards to the technological advances mentioned above.

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

Sure, spending some money on newer advanced equipment and paying top people to be in the strength training department to study and develop this makes a difference.  

But, the cost of that pails in comparison to the 10s of millions of dollars that is spent crap that does nothing to improve performance on the field....other than impressing recruits.

Is it Clemson that has a mini golf course and lazy river the players can use?  Tell me how that makes a player better.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Sure, spending some money on newer advanced equipment and paying top people to be in the strength training department to study and develop this makes a difference.  

But, the cost of that pails in comparison to the 10s of millions of dollars that is spent crap that does nothing to improve performance on the field....other than impressing recruits.

Is it Clemson that has a mini golf course and lazy river the players can use?  Tell me how that makes a player better.

Those items don't necessarily make the players better, but it gives the players incentives to stick around the athletic facility.  The more they are around the facility, they are bonding with teammates, possibly doing extra film study, doing homework/studying for classes, and generally staying out of trouble.  The coaches want to try and give these kids as much structure as possible.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hyperbole post. What do you expect universities do for their students? No WiFi, no electricity? Welcome to the year 2018, my friend.