The Trump Economy

It seems to me that eviction prevention would be far better than stimulus checks because it would be more targeted to the people who really need it. It would reach the people who needed it most. There are a lot of people who will receive checks that aren't in danger of eviction.

I think someone on here was saying they don't like the stuff stopping evictions because landlords have to pay their bills but the next stimulus could use government relief to pay the landlords.

Same goes with the unemployment $. Instead of just pulling the rug out why don't they ween people off it by reducing it to $300 extra instead of $600?

• Plus1 1

• 2 months later...

On 7/30/2020 at 12:49 PM, Nebfanatic said:

I thought we reopened to save the economy? 

On 7/30/2020 at 12:41 PM, RedDenver said:

c8a24cebe5838cb1d67d9b58f633c65a84-chart

Maybe we can use Trump's own words  "Its YUGE"   "The GREATEST GDP DROP OF ALL TIME. NO ONE HAS DONE IT BETTER" "THAT IS WHY I WEAR THE SUPERMAN UNDERWEAR TO BED AT NIGHT"

• 3 weeks later...

Trump campaign will jump on these #s as proof that he has fixed everything in the economy.  But the 2 twitter threads below

will tell the story that the trump campaign will leave out. 

https://theweek.com/speedreads/946645/recordbreaking-gdp-growth-leaves-economy-same-place-height-great-recession

America just posted its biggest annualized and single-quarter GDP growth of all time. It isn't that impressive.

The U.S. GDP jumped at a 33.1 percent annualized rate in the third quarter, a growth of 7.4 percent from Q2, Commerce Department records released Thursday reveal. But as Gregory Daco, the chief U.S. economist at Oxford Economics, put it in a tweet, that growth is both "record-breaking and meaningless at the same time."

It's true that the 7.4 percent GDP rise from Q2 to Q3 is a record. But it also comes after a record contraction from Q1 to Q2, and a total loss of 10.3 percent throughout 2020, so it doesn't even come close to making up what was lost amid the pandemic. In fact, the 3.5 percent total GDP shrinkage during 2020 "means we are still down almost as much as we were during the height of the Great Recession," tweets Diane Swonk, chief economist at Grant Thornton.

Economist Justin Wolfers meanwhile debunked the 33.1 percent growth rate the entire Trump family was touting Thursday morning. Looking at annualized growth reveals how much bigger the economy would be if it "grew at this rate for the next three quarters," Wolfers tweeted. "But there's no chance that will happen, so the annualized rate answers a question no one is asking." And if that wasn't convincing enough, Wolfers had another way of looking at it.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...