Post-Practice Presser - August 14

Mavric

1 minute ago, Sker fer life said:

Oregon went for two a lot after touchdowns,  I have to say I don't like this,  seems c$%ky to me.  Kick the extra point,  GET the 7.  There are times when its necessary,  but not after almost every touchdown. Just sayin.

Member that time Oregon lost to Nebraska by three cus Helfrich decided to go for two, four different times?  Pepperidge farm remembers.

That being said, I don't mind going for 2 and going for it on 4th down in the right situations and I have full confidence in these coaches to make the right call majority of the time.

• Plus1 7
1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

Member that time Oregon lost to Nebraska by three cus Helfrich decided to go for two, four different times?  Pepperidge farm remembers.

That being said, I don't mind going for 2 and going for it on 4th down in the right situations and I have full confidence in these coaches to make the right call majority of the time.

image.jpeg.cf1388e1e2cf46653e556edddac7c61a.jpeg

• Plus1 4

4 minutes ago, Sker fer life said:

Oregon went for two a lot after touchdowns,  I have to say I don't like this,  seems c$%ky to me.  Kick the extra point,  GET the 7.  There are times when its necessary,  but not after almost every touchdown. Just sayin.

The going for two on their first TD seems like a mental toughness and attitude lesson for the players and it seemed like it worked.  

The part that I am absolutely giddy about with this staff is that every single thing they do from weight room workouts to warmups before practice to players like Wistrom and Peter coming in...and on and on.....is all about attitude, precision, detail....mental toughness.  It's about accountability and playing for the school and the guy beside you...instead of the NFL or me me me...or "I don't want to".

These next three weeks can't go by fast enough.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Sker fer life said:

Statistics say coaches should go for it on fourth down MUCH more than they do.  Frost said they'll likely go for it on fourth down in plus territory a lot which is great.

Going for two isn't quite the same but I don't mind it when a situation presents itself.  Chip Kelly seemed to go for two after their first score in almost every game I watched.  I don't mind that, especially if we score first.  Then you should probably go for two after your second TD no matter if you make the first or not - if you make the first, you're playing with house money and would really be in a good spot if you get the second.  If you didn't get the first, it's not bad to try again on the second to try to "get back on schedule".  After that, it's kind of a feel thing.  

Oregon was fine to go for two against us the first time (which they got) so the second time was a good call.  The third call was iffy.  And the other two seemed pretty dumb.

• Plus1 5
15 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

"In the right situations"  agreed.