We have a serious quarterback depth problem

Hayseed

Given our serious lack of depth at the position, what do you think the coaches should do? Do we start teaching scholarship athletes to play qb? Who do you think would be the most likely candidates?

To me high school experience at quarterback means very little. Out of all these talented guys on the team I don't see why we wouldn't be able to find some suitable backups. I remember the year Colorado was down to their 4th or 5th quarterback....it can happen.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I think what is hurting us now is the limited snaps Bunch got when it became more of a 2 horse race with AM and TB.  The week before Akron TG bounces and really leaves little time to "coach up" Bunch.  It was probably more trying to implement a game plan and less on "teaching" him.  IIRC, Bunch did well in the spring game.  I cant help but think he won't improve as we move forward...

I do think we are getting into the oh crap territory with depth.  If AM is out for the long term we have 2 walk-ons and that's it.  And Masker is a true freshman.....Just watching how bruising the B1G schedule is/can/will be I am pretty confident that the starter won't be 100% for every game. (not saying missing games, but out for a play or two).  I'm hoping Noah gets a waiver....And I think NU didn't press as hard in the fall as TG was still committed.....

• Fire 1

we have some other  players who could step into the role if need be.  Wyatt mazzour (sp?) is one.  he was electric in high school and the spring game shows he has some damn good speed.  i forget the name but there was a recruit who played QB in high school who scott said could play qb.  i bet there are others i don't know about.

9 minutes ago, commando said:

we have some other  players who could step into the role if need be.  Wyatt mazzour (sp?) is one.  he was electric in high school and the spring game shows he has some damn good speed.  i forget the name but there was a recruit who played QB in high school who scott said could play qb.  i bet there are others i don't know about.

Cam Taylor-CB now, but played primarily QB in HS

Taylor was recruited as an athlete and played primarily quarterback in high school, totaling 2,496 yards of total offense and accounting for 30 total touchdowns. Taylor threw for 1,466 yards and 16 touchdowns and added 1,030 rushing yards and 14 touchdowns on the ground, but was recruited primarily on defense by most programs. 

Cam Taylor senior season stats: Passing: Completed 77 of 130 attempts for 1,466 yards and 14 touchdowns to only three interceptions; Rushing: 117 carries for 1,030 yards and 16 touchdowns. Taylor helped lead Park Crossing to a 10-2 record last fall.

17-18 Varsity Football
JerseyPos

I have confidence in Bunch. Biggest problem is his lack of reps before Gebbia quit and the fact that Troy will essentially be the start of his season. 

The depth situation is not ideal. Hopefully we get good news about AM's knee. If not, we're going to have to get really creative with our QB room.

Ethan Cox is another possibility.   His speed and running ability is good, although he's slightly slower than Mazour.   He is a capable passer and physically is a better QB candidate.   I think the coaches also look at what is lost with position changes . . so a pro/con list is done.   And whoever it is, does the person learn fast?

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Guys look.  The team has a serious problem at QB.  Trying to convince yourself that a walk on will be fine is not going to change that

the long term out look at the position is fine, recruiting at QB has been very good. The problem is what do we do in the short term. And that is a very good question. I feel the best answer is to work over time on the NCAA to get vedral eligible and then let bunch and vedral fight it out for #1. 

But really thats not ideal, so there is no perfect silver bullet fix to this problem that anyone would really like.

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Guys look.  The team has a serious problem at QB.  Trying to convince yourself that a walk on will be fine is not going to change that

You are correct.  No way to sugar coat the situation.  AB did look good in spring, but there was a reason he was #3.  It's never a good position to go into league play with your 3rd string QB.  Walk-on, scholarship or whatever. 

I'm just optimistic that this staff can somehow make him more than serviceable.  One thing said about AM was that they would stress to distribute to the playmakers and not make him feel like he had to do everything...I'm pretty sure they'll try this with AB.

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

What we don't have to convince ourselves of is that anything can happen.

We saw in the spring game and yesterday that Bunch has good footwork and throws an accurate ball. He also has a serious competitor's attitude and focus towards the game. He'll get blitzed a ton, but that's where Frost & Co. can sweep in to draw up plays to exploit that.

But yes, we do have a quarterback depth problem if Martinez is out for more than just the Troy game. Meaning that after him, there's obviously just Bunch and Masker in the QB room.

• Plus1 1