Pass Rush?

Red_Payne

Colorado probably has the worst OLine that we’ve faced. They had a freshman C playing and Mick just destroyed him over and over, it was really unfair. Having a (mostly) healthy Stoltenberg had a huge impact in that game. Their LT was bad too.

I also think it’s a bit of fatigue at this point in the front 7. You can see how Gifford leaves it all on the field each week, and it looked like he just had nothing left in the tank a few times today. Ferguson was out sick and that didn’t help.

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Not for sure but maybe Purdue OL is much better than CU :dunno But you're right, our pressure was much better on CU. Pretty safe to say Michigan was just plain better than us but I don't recall getting much of a rush on Troy either.

I think a lot of it is our Jimmies and Joe's but I'm not super fond of what I've seen of this scheme either. I like that we're getting more guys to the ball and tackling better (some of the time) but man, when we blow it, we blow it huge. IMO this loss was 90% on the defense.

Agree. Only complaint on offense was we did nothing after first drive until after half. That dug a hole. 

Here's their first play on offense. We saw them line up like this all day. It's not as much of a "Mack Brown at Texas Spread" formation but it's in the same ball park and you know what they're going to do on most plays and that is sit there and let Blough scan through reads:

gLmrjY.gif

One guys motions to the right side of the field and lines up in the slot. You know he's going downfield. Barry sees him and picks him up.

Then their running back goes out as a checkdown man. Well, Young has to pick him up and does. So it's three Husker down linemen plus Gifford as a standup lineman versus five Boilermaker linemen. 

Again, we saw this formation all day. During the game I was upset with Chinander for not blitzing a corner now and then but honestly I think I'm going to go back on that. You can't really do that with a QB that puts the ball on a dime and just pray your safeties help. I mean, you can do it a couple times per game but you can't do it all day or they'd have scored 50+. Translation - we don't have an actual pass rusher and we need one badly.

Our secondary was definitely better in this one and that is a serious comment. Our corners played much better. Our offense should have put up 45 points yesterday...but that's for another thread.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

26 minutes ago, Kernal said:

Why did we look like we had four down linemen all day.  I thought one of the advantages of a 3-4 is that you can change where that fourth pressure comes from.  Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing anything that would cause Purdue's O-line problems.  Terrible defensive game plan.

Lining up in a true 3-4 formation doesn't do much against a spread offense if your outside linebackers aren't fast enough to keep up with slot receivers and fast tight ends that you know are going to be sprinting downfield to get open. And ours definitely aren't fast enough.

So what Chinander did was good. It was really more of a 4-3 where sometimes it was a guy like Gifford acting as a stand-up lineman. Pelini used Eric Martin like that with good success. It's a good tactic. That way, you've got a guy that's still reasonably fast (Gifford) that can drop back into pass coverage if they line up four guys wide.

To your point though, there are still some question marks in my mind surrounding why we looked so different scheme-wise against Purdue than we did against Colorado. It's not like Blough/Moore is any better of a combination than Montez/Shenault. 

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Red_Payne said:

How does a team go about acquiring one?

It's not so much about having one, (we have one), it's about knowing when to use it, (so you don't go all out and get burned by a smart qb). That's where coaching, natural talent, and not getting your signals stolen comes in.
We started the season very aggressive and opposing coaches have planned for that. 
That's why the game is decided on the field and not message boards.

Here's a play from their drive that pretty much put the game out of reach. Really needed to stop them on this one. This play is the epitome of the whole day:

wmJOXg.gif

Again it's Gifford as a stand-up lineman on the edge. He gets completely muscled by their tackle. We blitzed Young. Great call by Chinander to do that, but they block well and Blough stands there with zero pressure as he scans the field.

You can't expect your secondary to just cover everybody perfectly on every play. There was improvement by our secondary in this one IMO. But the lack of a pass rush lets them just methodically toss the ball down the field.

One thing I'll say is that there aren't many teams like Purdue in the West. To get into a place where we're winning our division we need to be good against the run. We saw flashes of actually being really, really good against the run against Colorado. 

To say it just one more time...we didn't have a single guy step up as an individual pass rusher yesterday and it really killed us. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Ok, one more here. You guys, this is the kind of mindless play from Young that is just absolutely KILLING our team. It is so mind boggling:

voGNOM.gif

He HAS TO be aware of what's going on. He has to pick up that tight end. Watch what he does - he seriously gets sucked down towards A FREAKING LINEMAN. He seriously steps down into that space to try to defend...an offense lineman...who can't touch the ball...

Barry does a great job and sees a receiver swinging wide and picks him up. But Young should have stayed in his area to pick up an open man but instead does who the f*** even knows what...

If Young is better than anyone else that can take that ILB spot then I just don't even know what to say except to just drink heavily to pass the time and wait for the next two recruiting classes to hopefully be great on defense.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Undone said:

Ok, one more here. You guys, this is the kind of mindless play from Young that is just absolutely KILLING our team. It is so mind boggling:

voGNOM.gif

He HAS TO be aware of what's going on. He has to pick up that tight end. Watch what he does - he seriously gets sucked down towards A FREAKING LINEMAN. He seriously steps down into that space to try to defend...an offense lineman...who can't touch the ball...

Barry does a great job and sees a receiver swinging wide and picks him up. But Young should have stayed in his area to pick up an open man but instead does who the f*** even knows what...

His situational awareness isn't very good for a 5th year SR. The only thing I can think of is that he was being used a a spy against Blough, but Brohm likely knew this and used DB in rollout action to draw Young away from where that TE was. Brohm used the misdirection, throw back play a bit yesterday to test out discipline. Oherwise its poor awareness by him and/or the safety.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

His situational awareness isn't very good for a 5th year SR. The only thing I can think of is that he was being used a a spy against Blough, otherwise poor awareness by him and/or the safety.

This could definitely be it, but then it's on Chinander to get the guys lined up in more of a true 3-4 so that there are bodies occupying the middle of the field against a spread offense that you know is trying to just hurl eligible receivers downfield.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Straight ahead pass rush on all 3 videos makes it easy to block.  2nd video Young had plenty of time to get to QB but instead blitzes into the loving arms of a guard.  3rd video it looks like that dastardly "B" in Nebraska tripped up our safety keeping him from covering nobody and out of harms way.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

This could definitely be it, but then it's on Chinander to get the guys lined up in more of a true 3-4 so that there are bodies occupying the middle of the field against a spread offense that you know is trying to just hurl eligible receivers downfield.

Definitely agree. I too think it's on Young to ID a potential receiving threat at TE to the safety. That clip showed a lack of communication as well.