Riley’s Creampuff Recruiting

8 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

This team played faster and more physical in the first game of the season than any game since. 

Wouldn't that be evidence they're getting softer under the current coaches not the past?

They pretty much look just like they did last year. Perhaps they blew their whole wad on game one. 

• Plus1 1

I just now opened this thread for the first time and admittedly, haven't read the entire thread.  So, if this is already stated...so be it.

I don't think Riley recruited soft players.  I think he recruited some damn good and very talented players.  Problem is, he lacked the ability to develop them and instill the right attitude and work ethic to have a competitive program.

Now, we have some players like Wilson, Ozigbo, Bootle and Barry who either never lost that driving competitive edge or were quick to pick up on it when Frost got here.

We also have players like Morgan and Spielman who did have a really good assistant through the Riley years that trained them well.

We also have a lot of players that came into or committed to the program (2017 class) that, for whatever reason, weren't developed or weren't taught the work ethic to succeed.

Getting the kids to commit with the physical talent is just the first part and I think Riley did a decent job of that at many positions.  From there on.....meh.

45 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Serious question.  Where did the ice cream after losses thing come from.  Was that an actual thing or is someone just beating that drum about Riley being a soft coach?

image.png.c040d1183d60726b372b0760bfc001e1.png

http://www.klkntv.com/story/31787452/huskers-head-coach-mike-riley-handed-out-ice-cream-today-at-unl

I know he would take Oregon State to In-N-Out after certain wins, and I think TWOS turned it into ice cream here. But I don't really remember.

• Plus1 2
On 9/30/2018 at 1:58 PM, HuskerNBigD said:

You’re right, i did. I have an issue with players that are selfish and celebrate a play that hurts the team. 

Do we really think he was celebrating the flag? I've come to the conclusion he thought it was an interception and was celebrating Dismukes good play. He should have never made the hold but its ridiculous to think he was celebrating because of a play that hurt the team. He was celebrating because at the time he thought we made a good play.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Do we really think he was celebrating the flag? I've come to the conclusion he thought it was an interception and was celebrating Dismukes good play. He should have never made the hold but its ridiculous to think he was celebrating because of a play that hurt the team. He was celebrating because at the time he thought we made a good play.

That makes too much sense for some people on this board to believe

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

There's something to be said about being humble, especially when you're losing.

Just now, HuskerNBigD said:

There's a difference between getting excited and taunting an opposing sideline. How'd that momentum work out for him?

Well considering it's been discussed that the play was a penalty, I think it's been covered.  But if you want to continue missing the point and bagging on a 20 year old kid.  I got nothing else to add

• Plus1 1