Wisconsin Week Pressers

Mavric

Let us be honest with ourselves...Wisconsin will be ready to play and they will be at home. They will make no mistakes and they will take it to us very early and very fast. We have to play mistake free football to make it a competitive game...I am not saying win the game, but make it interesting for 4 quarters. Our players need to go to Wisconsin with the right attitude. They need to be razor sharp and cut out the crap they do on the sideline. There is a difference between enjoying football and between getting accustomed to losing. If you are down by two touchdowns or by 50 points and you are laughing or dancing, it shows that you are numb to losing. I am hoping that the players have had a “come to Jesus talk” TOADY and have realized that it is time they worked their butts off to start gaining the respect of their coach and the fans that continue to support them in spite of their poor showing. 

I remain very skeptical about what I hear from the players in press conferences but always hopeful that we can pull a miracle win. Forever a husker...GO BIG RED AND GO FROST.

I sadly and regrettably think we're going to take another severe beating from Wisconsin.  I think they're going to beat us as badly as Michigan did--at the minimum.  Coach Frost's comment about burning down the existing trees to let the new ones grow seems like a pretty ominous foreshadowing.

And could someone provide context for the Solich firing still bleeding?  What is going on with that statement?  Edit: Never mind.  I realized the tweet was from a former player and it makes sense now.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I am not saying win the game, but make it interesting for 4 quarters.

Funny thing that people forget: Riley basically did that every year against Wisconsin. Lost by 2 points one year, took them into overtime the next year, and had them tied in the 4th quarter the year after that.

Wisconsin is not a game we can't win. Never has been since we joined the conference - even last year, somehow. For as bad as our modern history in this series looks, they've never really out-talented us. Out-coached at times, certainly, but not out-talented. But a lot of times, it wasn't really even that - they just plain beat us in a good game. A couple bad losses and a bad overall record make them look a lot scarier in some people's minds than they really are.

Question is, how does Wisconsin look in the minds of the players?

• Plus1 3

Agreed Toe. The mental state of our players seems to be really off. With so many mistakes and penalities and division within the team, are they going to be able to overcome these obstacles. They lost the Michigan game the minute they stepped out of the bus. Are they going with a mentality that they can win or did these players already checked the 0-5 box? I really hope we beat Wisconsin. That will give them the confidence they need to turn things around this season and will give the fans something positive to build on. Go Big Red.

11 hours ago, Toe said:

Funny thing that people forget: Riley basically did that every year against Wisconsin. Lost by 2 points one year, took them into overtime the next year, and had them tied in the 4th quarter the year after that.

What I remember from last year is that they found either a counter or some kind of off tackle running play in the fourth quarter. It worked well once. It worked well for them again. And then they just kept doing it and we couldn't stop it.

That's kind of the theme for our front seven both last year and this year (outside of the Colorado game). If we line up in a more traditional 3-4 against Wisconsin on Saturday and our linebackers stay in a run fit scheme where they stay put, we can keep it fairly close. But against Michigan we looked like guys either couldn't or wouldn't play their assignments on running plays and we got embarrassed in the first half. And Michigan's offensive line isn't even as good as Wisconsin's.

I'm still trying to understand better what Chinander is attempting to do with his linebackers. Against Colorado it looked great and they couldn't run against us at all. 

But in all likelihood it's going to be a painful night with our front seven looking weak and confused. Hopefully I'm wrong because I'm really tired of losing to a team that is absolutely not as good as their record makes them out to be these past few seasons.

58 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Good coach speak from Travis Fisher. Lets be real, Lamar is done. He is poster child for the guy who doesnt love football- he just loves to be a football player and all that comes with it.

I actually really like his "coach speak" from the very top tweet.  If you want to play, come to practice on Monday through Thursday and work your ass off to get better.  AND, then show me you can do it on the field on Saturday.

The ol' "he's just not a practice player" is a worn out statement that just does not produce championship type of a team.  If you play better than you practice, then you can actually be even better if you put the effort in in practice.

This team is not going to get to where we want unless the right things are done on days not starting with S.

Lamar seems to me to be a player that thinks he can just get by with his athleticism and he doesn't need to pay attention to detail.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

He is poster child for the guy who doesnt love football- he just loves to be a football player and all that comes with it.

26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Lamar seems to me to be a player that thinks he can just get by with his athleticism and he doesn't need to pay attention to detail.

We seem to know a lot about this person.  He probably treats the lunch servers like dirt, too.

• Plus1 3