Martinez Sets Husker Freshman Passing Record

Mavric

It's weird to be 0-5, and still optimistic about something, but there is a lot to be excited about with our skill positions going forward. Martinez is going to be a multi-year all-conference player at Nebraska. Maybe starting next year. Washington? The same. Spielman? Unbelievable. I also expect the TE group to really become something reliable over the next year or two..... If only the offensive line wasn't woeful....

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

if he stays healthy he's gonna obliterate every single quarterback related record at the school other than maybe some rushing ones

There is almost no doubt about it.

I seriously cannot believe this kid's composure and ability to keep his eyes downfield. Our receivers ran good routes tonight and consistently got open. You give that to Martinez and he will eat babies out there.

Lets be realistic...he's okay but a work in progress.  Think about it...we started a QB true freshman today who had only gotten two actual game snaps in his career against a top 25 team and he went off for 318 yards with four TDs and 84 yards rushing and another TD...and he might not even be starting next week.  Same thing happened last year when our walk on 3rd string QB got stuffed into a playing situation and proceeded to run off wins against three top 25 teams and a trip to a bowl.  

My point?  Life's a crapshoot...and they still have Hamms beer in little town bars....and Iowa is full of little towns.

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Lets be realistic...he's okay but a work in progress.  Think about it...we started a QB true freshman today who had only gotten two actual game snaps in his career against a top 25 team and he went off for 318 yards with four TDs and 84 yards rushing and another TD...and he might not even be starting next week.  Same thing happened last year when our walk on 3rd string QB got stuffed into a playing situation and proceeded to run off wins against three top 25 teams and a trip to a bowl.  

My point?  Life's a crapshoot...and they still have Hamms beer in little town bars....and Iowa is full of little towns.

Congrats on your win today, that was a good game and every time I check in on the 'clones I'm impressed with the progress Campbell has made.

Really, Hamms? 

5 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Big 12 teams don’t play defense. You can’t use Big 12 stats as a comparison. 

• Fire 2
1 minute ago, TheMeanFarmer said:

Do we temper this at all with the fact that Wisconsin played most of the 2nd half with their DL in contain mode?

They were working only to keep AM in the pocket and throwing the ball, not escaping containment.

And he threw 3 intercept-able balls.

Yes, Martinez threw some balls which could/should have been intercepted.  However, I am excited about the future with Martinez.  He is playing his 4th collegiate game, after sitting out his senior year of high school.  He wasn't going to be perfect this year, but he's shown to have a ton of ability.  I think what I like the best about Martinez is that he's willing to be coached during the game.  He and Frost look to have a great relationship and when a mistake does happen, they are standing together on the sideline, talking through that mistake.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I hear ya, but Martinez was pretty darn productive all night, when he was given time.

Also had another massive turnover

5 minutes ago, TheMeanFarmer said:

Do we temper this at all with the fact that Wisconsin played most of the 2nd half with their DL in contain mode?

They were working only to keep AM in the pocket and throwing the ball, not escaping containment.

And he threw 3 intercept-able balls.

Yes we should but most people won't see it like that.