What did we learn: Ohio State

Branno

Psychologically this team has come so far.  Could have folded a long time ago.  The wins and losses are frustrating, but this team has done what all well coaches teams do. They continue to get better and better as the year goes along.   

Offense will be scary good.   

Defense shows flashes of being a capable B1G unit.

Special teams is just scary... by far the biggest disappointment

27 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I think we learned that Caleb doesn’t have the onside kick down like a scholarship player should. Wonder if he has anything to do next season, save for riding pine (or painted steel) if we’re picking up a kicker? :dunno

No, Caleb isn’t the only problem with special teams. But he has been one of the most consistent problems all season. And after he was replaced, punting was substantially better. 

Also, in the interest of not being wholly negative, I learned that I started getting pissed again when my daughters’ sports conflict with gametime. Been a few years since I felt that...

To be fair, surprise onside kicks aren't quite the same as a regular onside kick

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

To be even more fair, Caleb Lightbourn is a punter handling KO duties because the scholarship kicker isn’t good enough.

Lightbourn was recruited to NU and given a scholarship due to his big leg. That big leg translates to punting and kicking kick offs. I still don’t see how it’s the coaches’ fault for counting on him to pull off a surprise onsides kick, especially if he was doing it successfully in practice. 

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Lightbourn was recruited to NU and given a scholarship due to his big leg. That big leg translates to punting and kicking kick offs. I still don’t see how it’s the coaches’ fault for counting on him to pull off a surprise onsides kick, especially if he was doing it successfully in practice. 

Given what we have seen from him in games I think it is the coaches fault for counting on him to pull off a surprise onside kick in the game on the road. 

Look, I'm all for trying it, but at the same time Lightborne has had a really rough year and this type of play isn't exactly in his wheelhouse. Hindsight is always 20/20 so I'm not that broken up about it. Frost was doing what he thought he needed to do.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand that.  But if he was so proficient in KO’s he would have been doing it sooner.  That’s how bad Pickering must be.

And we’ve heard a ton about how great practices are this season.  We still have major breakdowns.  

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I understand that.  But if he was so proficient in KO’s he would have been doing it sooner.  That’s how bad Pickering must be.

And we’ve heard a ton about how great practices are this season.  We still have major breakdowns.  

Because Brown was better than him the previous 2 years. Yes, Pickering must not have a great leg. Yet another ST miss by Riley and staff. 

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Given what we have seen from him in games I think it is the coaches fault for counting on him to pull off a surprise onside kick in the game on the road. 

Not if he was pulling it off in practices before being asked to do it in games. It was a risk, the player didn’t pull it off. I don’t get the hand-ringing over the call and all the blame on the coaches. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not if he was pulling it off in practices before being asked to do it in games. It was a risk, the player didn’t pull it off. I don’t get the hand-ringing over the call and all the blame on the coaches. 

Read my edit. I'm sure he was punting it to the right spots in practice too but when game time rolled around:dunno Lightborne has shown to be so unreliable in games his major spot was taken by a walkon. I get your point and again I'm not that upset about the call, but you have to admit it was a bit questionable in hindsight

6 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Frost didn’t have to honor the scholarship offer to or commitment from Pickering.

We realize that you expect Frost to get everything done yesterday and know the outcomes of events before they happen but unfortunately that isn't realistic, no matter how many times you try to act like it is.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We realize that you expect Frost to get everything done yesterday and know the outcomes of events before they happen but unfortunately that isn't realistic, no matter how many times you try to act like it is.

Been a while since you made some snarky comment towards me.  Get it out of your system?

Your post makes absolutely zero sense based on what I said.  

A lot of people aren't happy with the outcome and I agree that I'm not.  Tomorrow, we'll have a great practice and a lot of people will say "he always says that".  This is the wrong attitude.  Of course a win would have been better. Obviously.  But, we need to compare ourselves to where we were yesterday, not where another team is today.  We're improving, we're getting there and there will be a bunch of heartbreaks along the way.  I believe in this staff and I believe we will become Nebraska again.  GBR.

• Plus1 1