Will our democracy survive Trump?

Will our Democracy survive Trump?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Have you read the link?  As for specific regs impacting businesses appetite to grown and expand, there are a multitude including environmental emissions that slowed down coal and other plants, there have been new worker policies from the NLRB that affected a host of things including overtime pay and which made it more difficult to terminate someone for under-performance for fear of being sued, there was the DOL Fiduciary rule required several financial institutions to make changes to their systems to comply with the policy, and a lack of compliance would result in fees for companies.  My employer spent tens of millions to prepare for the enactment of this rule.  I could go on and on.  I am not saying all regulations are bad, but there definitely was a noticeable increase in regs under Obama that discouraged businesses from growing.  As a side note, my parents are small business owners and were looking to open a third location for their business, but due to the Obamacare fees for small businesses with more than 50 employees, they elected not to open a third store.  That was legislation and not necessarily a regulation, but just another example of why businesses were not growing at the pace they are now.

And which of those has Trump repealed?

10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

And which of those has Trump repealed?

The DOL Fiduciary Rule has been halted, many of the NLRB regs affecting OT and ability to terminate employees has been stopped, the coal regulations and other environmental regulations have been stopped.   Do you feel Obama's regulations helped the economy while he was in office? If so, which ones helped the economy grow?

1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

The DOL Fiduciary Rule has been halted, many of the NLRB regs affecting OT and ability to terminate employees has been stopped, the coal regulations and other environmental regulations have been stopped.   Do you feel Obama's regulations helped the economy while he was in office? If so, which ones helped the economy grow?

Not sure why you think completely eliminating a protection for investors without implementing a more robust one is a good thing...

I asked you the question because you routinely spout off about how regulations are bad but you never actually Delvin to the minutiae. You prefer talking point rather than conversation.

I think overall most regulations are a net positive. They protect citizens, and spur innovation. I think regulations on coal is fine. It's a dying industry that is dirty and unhealthy anyway you try to spin it. There are many better alternatives for energy. I think the cafe regulations, while a little aggressive, we're a good thing for the auto industry. They drove us to be innovative and accelerate our implementation of new technologies. I think regulations on wall street are a must. They've almost ruined this country twice in the last 2 centuries, and they routinely don't pay for their mistakes.

• Plus1 2
On 11/16/2018 at 10:19 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Gotta admit I never expected that ratio on a Nebraska Football fansite, but if you look at the actual political affiliations here and the variety of concerns, it's a pretty thoughtful group with well-supported opinions. 

That ratio is in no way representative of Nebraska fans, or even representative of the number on the site.

Most of the P&R forum is the same dozen ish posters with multiple posts.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

Not sure why you think completely eliminating a protection for investors without implementing a more robust one is a good thing...

I asked you the question because you routinely spout off about how regulations are bad but you never actually Delvin to the minutiae. You prefer talking point rather than conversation.

I think overall most regulations are a net positive. They protect citizens, and spur innovation. I think regulations on coal is fine. It's a dying industry that is dirty and unhealthy anyway you try to spin it. There are many better alternatives for energy. I think the cafe regulations, while a little aggressive, we're a good thing for the auto industry. They drove us to be innovative and accelerate our implementation of new technologies. I think regulations on wall street are a must. They've almost ruined this country twice in the last 2 centuries, and they routinely don't pay for their mistakes.

You still didnt answer the question...how did Obamas regulations help encourage economic growth? 

2 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

You still didnt answer the question...how did Obamas regulations help encourage economic growth? 

In fact I did if you bothered to read. I said that I believe the regulations on fuel economy spurred innovation, and brought new technologies to the forefront. Automakers are making SUVs capable of 30mpg, Full sized trucks that can get over 20mpg, hybrids in all segements, using lighter weight materials, and more efficient designs; all of that has lead the big 3 to come roaring back in the last 10 years.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I am not sure Democrats will handle Trump offering their minority candidates with praise.  After all, it destroys their narrative that he is a partisan racist.

What? No it doesn't. There are at least a dozen very easy and sensical interpretations of this tweet that don't "destroy" any "narratives". What are you talking about?

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, ZRod said:

In fact I did if you bothered to read. I said that I believe the regulations on fuel economy spurred innovation, and brought new technologies to the forefront. Automakers are making SUVs capable of 30mpg, Full sized trucks that can get over 20mpg, hybrids in all segements, using lighter weight materials, and more efficient designs; all of that has lead the big 3 to come roaring back in the last 10 years.

So higher fuel standards led to GDP growth in the US?  I am not discounting that average MPG has risen, but part of this was also driven by market demand given super high gas prices that were occurring. Please explain the correlation between higher CAFE standards and GDP growth.

12 hours ago, TheSker said:

That ratio is in no way representative of Nebraska fans, or even representative of the number on the site.

Maybe, maybe not.  Most of the season ticket holders I know are pretty liberal, or at the very least believe the Republican party isn't representative of their values.  But I live in Omaha and have friends in Lincoln.  The one season ticket holder I know in Kearney was a life-long Republican until around May of 2016....

But it really doesn't matter, I couldn't care less about the political leanings of the person next to me in the stadium.  If they are talking about anything other than football in the stadium during the game, I don't like them ;)

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

What? No it doesn't. There are at least a dozen very easy and sensical interpretations of this tweet that don't "destroy" any "narratives". What are you talking about?

Well if Trump were the racist partisan that you and others claim, how could he ever offer such praise to a Black Democrat?  

12 hours ago, TheSker said:

I agree with you....most Nebraska fans I have ever met lean to the right and do not support what the American Left has become. I have even had some on here send me PMs thanking me for representing their voice as they choose not to wade into the abyss.