Huskers93-97

Assistant Coach Leaving?

I see a tweet from severe out there implying rumors of an assistant leaving potentially. On 1620 this morning Benning said something about Fisher is here now. I didnt hear the whole conversation but he said something like "take that for what its worth". I didnt piece anything together until I saw the severe tweet. Maybe something to it? I guess if anyone leaves Fisher would probably be the easiest to part with. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Is leaving for sure?

It's rumored he's been contacted.  But with the recent history of DB coaches at NU, where there is smoke....

Job security wise, this would be a leap of faith.  Richt's recruiting class this year was uninspiring and the recent history of the 'Canes is flaming out in the second half of the year.  Good news is the ACC is darn mediocre outside of Clemson so lots of room for anyone in the conference to take the next step up.

• Plus1 3

Frost better send the rest of the entire coaching staff to visit Fisher's house if he wants to keep him locked down. 

• Plus1 7

1 hour ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Job security wise, this would be a leap of faith.  Richt's recruiting class this year was uninspiring and the recent history of the 'Canes is flaming out in the second half of the year.  Good news is the ACC is darn mediocre outside of Clemson so lots of room for anyone in the conference to take the next step up.

I kinda wonder if Fisher hates the weather. He was born in Florida, played HS football in Florida, and played at UCF.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I kinda wonder if Fisher hates the weather. He was born in Florida, played HS football in Florida, and played at UCF.

You dont have to be born in Florida to hate this weather..... Just have to be a normal person.

I was born and grew up in MN and live in NE for 7 years and I hate the super cold weather....

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

You dont have to be born in Florida to hate this weather..... Just have to be a normal person.

I was born and grew up in MN and live in NE for 7 years and I hate the super cold weather....

Lived in Duluth.  That sucked.  Nebraska weather sucks too.  Just not as bad.

• Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1

I hate January. But I like the change of seasons.

Ideally winter would only last 3 weeks though. Enough for 1 big snow which melts after 3 days. 

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, man eating mastodon said:

Winter is my favorite season, no bugs, I'm not sweating ,both are good things, ice fishing and snowmobiling to me are fun.

Ice fishing is something I can never see myself enjoying.  I have a some kind of phobia about walking/sitting on lake ice.  We took the kids to see Santa at Cabela's yesterday and they were curious about the ice huts the store had set up.  Just sitting in them and explaining "ice-fishing" made me feel uneasy...:(

Which all kind of stinks because it was one of the things my dad loved to do and I never went with him when younger.  We'll call it even though, he doesn't like being on a boat!

11 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

Unless it's a HC job at a school with the potential for winning, he isn't leaving Lincoln IMO.  (He wouldn't pull a Tony Samuel and go to Las Cruces as an example)

I agree. Take the Scott Frost path. Only go somewhere setup to take off. Dont go somewhere without a good talent base for your first job.

11 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I don’t think weather is Fishers issue.  It’s not like he’s never heard of the state and didn’t know what to expect

I never had anything to point to that he said that made me think he doesnt like it here. I just had a feeling watching his interviews and seeing him in photos he just never seems happy or like he is embracing it. So I am not surprised. 

19 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I never had anything to point to that he said that made me think he doesnt like it here. I just had a feeling watching his interviews and seeing him in photos he just never seems happy or like he is embracing it. So I am not surprised. 

I think he's just a laid back guy - I don't know that we can judge whether he's embracing Nebraska or not based on his liveliness in interviews. Not everyone speaks with Dewitt's energy, and that's fine. IMO Fisher took our weakest position group from last year and really turned them around. A lot of that could just be switching from Diaco's "just them them catch it" style, but I hope Fisher is sticking around.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, man eating mastodon said:

Winter is my favorite season, no bugs, I'm not sweating ,both are good things, ice fishing and snowmobiling to me are fun.

Fall & Winter are my favorite seasons because all of the things I’m allergic to are  DEAD!

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

What are you talking about? He was good

He was also, for all intents and purposes, kind of scummy. 

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'd rather see Walters leave than Fisher....

Based on my mini rant in the recent spring game thread regarding having no new WR emerge, and the fact that our secondary actually IMPROVED this year, I concur with this and thought the same thing.

5 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

Based on my mini rant in the recent spring game thread regarding having no new WR emerge, and the fact that our secondary actually IMPROVED this year, I concur with this and thought the same thing.

We had the 4th ranked passing offense in the B1G with a freshman QB in year 1 of this offense.

I’m not sure why you’re so focused on the 3rd best WR. We almost had 2 1,000 yard receivers. There was no drop off with Walters. He should get another year (at least) before anyone starts thinking about worrying. 

• Plus1 2
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

We had the 4th ranked passing offense in the B1G with a freshman QB in year 1 of this offense.

I’m not sure why you’re so focused on the 3rd best WR. We almost had 2 1,000 yard receivers. There was no drop off with Walters. He should get another year (at least) before anyone starts thinking about worrying. 

I'm not exactly worried about it, but our most productive receivers were the most productive under the last staff as well.  Who would that 3rd receiver be that you're talking about?  That's my point. Just saying that i didn't see improvement in WR's as a whole, and that i did see improvement under Fisher's group.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Dilly Dilly said:

I'm not exactly worried about it, but our most productive receivers were the most productive under the last staff as well.  Who would that 3rd receiver be that you're talking about?  That's my point. Just saying that i didn't see improvement in WR's as a whole, and that i did see improvement under Fisher's group.

The reason you didn't see improvement in the WRs, imo, is there wasn't a lot of room for improvement. The same can't be said for the secondary. We were last in the B1G for opposing QB rating in 2017.

I don’t want anybody to leave! We need some damn consistency in coaching, recruiting, in game trust, voices, and development. 

• Plus1 4
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yes and no.  Those two WRs were also pretty darn good before he got here.  The part where we seemed unable to really get anyone else to step up is at least worth questioning.

I'm not saying I want Walters gone.  But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed in what I thought would be a pretty deep set of options before the season started.  Obviously there are a lot of things that go into into it.  And coaches can't control everything.  But our third-leading WR was only the sixth-leading pass-catcher on the team.  That was surprising to me.

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit disappointed in what I thought would be a pretty deep set of options before the season started. 

I don’t know I would’ve called what we had a deep WR group. Unless I’m missing someone we only had 3 scholarship WRs who had caught a pass in FBS football. Even then only two of those guys were proven commodities. Tyjon Lindsey seemed more hype than anything and bounced before the season started to turn.

• Upvote 1

I agree to a degree, Mav...

but if the oline can make a jump, a tFR at RB can contribute, and a tFR QB can be so good...then just by the system WR should also be better.  At some point, and I don’t know what that is cuz I’m not there...the WR’s should contribute on a better level as well. 

Was it blocking, actually catching passes, knowing the system, trust, work ethic etc etc?

everyone on offense seemed to show good signs, except depth at WR. However, sometimes it’s just the players. I think the WR Coach was probly coaching his a$$ off and if guys can’t take a step up, sometimes it’s on the players (when everyone else seemed to get better)  

For instance, I was actually surprised that Warner played  so much and made plays. He was a walk-on right? So he gained; we had 2 receivers go for nearly 1000 and were very dominate at times within the system. If other guys with “more talent” couldn’t step up sometimes it’s on them, not coaching, considering ‘lesser’ players were on the field and helped make plays. 

Now, a great talent that just never seems to get it or make plays after 2-3 yrs I think you can point to coaching maybe. But when 2 guys break records and a walk-on is getting his, to me personally, I put the onus on the player rather than the coach at this time.  

Hopefully another off season and more coaching helps these guys all reach their potential, that’s why I’m in the camp of keeping the coaches until we see a dramatic DROP in production rather than first yr coaches “underperforming” get tossed. Production was up, players got better, and there is only room for more improvement. 

Yeah I hope coach Walters doesn't leave and like I am I 'I' don't want any one from this staff to leave either!  At some point some of these guys may have that opportunity though and for that I can't fault them.  Hope we can keep this group together for a long while however.

GBR

46 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Yeah I hope coach Walters doesn't leave and like I am I 'I' don't want any one from this staff to leave either!  At some point some of these guys may have that opportunity though and for that I can't fault them.  Hope we can keep this group together for a long while however.

GBR

Agreed. I would like them to keep being paid enough so these guys only would only leave for a perfect opportunity, never money.  Pay them enough so group of 5 jobs aren't even a factor.

Continuity is way more important than people think, especially at Nebraska.