Your Most Fun Time At A Huskers Game

On 2/6/2019 at 10:20 AM, 10_point_buck said:

By most of the comments, you can really tell how young most of those on this board really are.  No offense, but any game over the last 20 years is nothing to get excited about, sorry to say.

old.jpg

Just because you were around for the glory days doesn't mean you get to decide what other people can be excited about. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
On 4/12/2019 at 11:01 AM, runningblind said:

old.jpg

Just because you were around for the glory days doesn't mean you get to decide what other people can be excited about. 

Not only around, but in college and grad school during the 90's.  Hell, even when my dad would take me to games in the 80's at least we were playing for something.  So, no I am not "old" by any means but I also know that most of the 20 something crowd has no clue what it is like to watch the Huskers in a meaningful game.  Fun is fun, but the real fun was being recognized on my honeymoon in 1996 due to my Nebraska hat on and having the cabana boy want to talk football with me every time he saw me.  Fun, playing games knowing that we were one of the best in the country AND....backing it up on the field.  Fun.....being discussed year in and year out as the team to beat.  Fun.....having the stadium totally rocking as two of the top teams in college football were in the middle of a slobber knocker.....Wisconsin comeback....yay, we won but still suck. etc etc etc.  My hope is, Frost and Co can bring it back to life around here so other generations of fans know what the hell fun and excitement really are.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

Not only around, but in college and grad school during the 90's.  Hell, even when my dad would take me to games in the 80's at least we were playing for something.  So, no I am not "old" by any means but I also know that most of the 20 something crowd has no clue what it is like to watch the Huskers in a meaningful game.  Fun is fun, but the real fun was being recognized on my honeymoon in 1996 due to my Nebraska hat on and having the cabana boy want to talk football with me every time he say me.  Fun, playing games knowing that we were one of the best in the country AND....backing it up on the field.  Fun.....being discussed year in and year out as the team to beat.  Fun.....having the stadium totally rocking as two of the top teams in college football were in the middle of a slobber knocker.....Wisconsin comeback....yay, we won but still suck. etc etc etc.  My hope is, Frost and Co can bring it back to life around here so other generations of fans know what the hell fun and excitement really are.

So, in other words, you're a youngster.

Even though we lived through the 90s, doesn't mean there haven't been reasons for people in the last 20 years to have fun watching Husker football.  Are you honestly saying you have not had fun at all watching Husker football for 20 years???  And you're still a fan???

Yes, kids these days don't know what it's like to watch the Husker football team dominate.  But, that doesn't mean it hasn't had its fun moments.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, in other words, you're a youngster.

Even though we lived through the 90s, doesn't mean there haven't been reasons for people in the last 20 years to have fun watching Husker football.  Are you honestly saying you have not had fun at all watching Husker football for 20 years???  And you're still a fan???

Yes, kids these days don't know what it's like to watch the Husker football team dominate.  But, that doesn't mean it hasn't had its fun moments.

I am still a fan and have been a season ticket holder since 1992 so I have some loyalty (skin) in the game.  There is fun and there is FUN !  Just like if I tell my kids we are going on vacation and say it is the Black Hills, yes that is fun and they  know they will have fun.  I also can tell my kids that we are going to Disney World and they know that is FUN FUN FUN, but still bot are just vacations, right?  It has been a LONG time since the hard to describe "buzz" was around the stadium and around town.  We approached it at time with Bo, but he pretty much always fell flat.  The buzz in town prior the the USC game with Clownahan came close, but then again, we were never really going to play with those guys.  Sure, you can have a lot of fun at Husker games, and I still do.  We have been tailgating with the same crew for over 10 years now and that is just as much fun as the games in recent years.  I want it to get back to the FUN with the capital F U N !  Very hard to describe that "it" factor associated with the FUN, but it is very different than what we have had for a long time.

• Plus1 2

I can't remember a time, either being in Lincoln for a game, road game or just at the Omaha bars for a game, where I did not have a fun a$$ time.  Shoot, why bother with a team if you are not going to enjoy it? 

It is the experience of it all.  Either walking to the game and seeing so many thousands of fans in red.  I can remember going to the College Game Day set up when ESPN was in Lincoln, so fun!

The energy in Lincoln for games is amazing, the streets start to fill up, the bars get packed and everyone is having a good time.  You are there with your friends, talking about your lives, rehashing old stories from back in the day, laughing and buying drinks.

We just went to the spring, 4 of us.  Met at place at 8:15 and we were on the road by 8:45.  Even the drive to Lincoln was a blast, tunes, a road beer, shooting the s#!t.  

3 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

I am still a fan and have been a season ticket holder since 1992 so I have some loyalty (skin) in the game.  There is fun and there is FUN !  Just like if I tell my kids we are going on vacation and say it is the Black Hills, yes that is fun and they  know they will have fun.  I also can tell my kids that we are going to Disney World and they know that is FUN FUN FUN, but still bot are just vacations, right?  It has been a LONG time since the hard to describe "buzz" was around the stadium and around town.  We approached it at time with Bo, but he pretty much always fell flat.  The buzz in town prior the the USC game with Clownahan came close, but then again, we were never really going to play with those guys.  Sure, you can have a lot of fun at Husker games, and I still do.  We have been tailgating with the same crew for over 10 years now and that is just as much fun as the games in recent years.  I want it to get back to the FUN with the capital F U N !  Very hard to describe that "it" factor associated with the FUN, but it is very different than what we have had for a long time.

But, there's no need to tell everyone..."You're not having real FUN".

It's all (mostly) fun.  The 80s were damn frustrating actually as a Husker fan.  How many bowl games did we lose in a row along with losing to OU?  But, it was still fun.  That's sports.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
59 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

So, no I am not "old" by any means but I also know that most of the 20 something crowd has no clue what it is like to watch the Huskers in a meaningful game. 

Yes, you are old.

I'm actually more impressed with younger fans. If you are 20something and still love the Huskers, that means that something developed organically without the easy notion of jumping onto a successful bandwagon. For those of us who are near middle-age (and older), it was easy to be a fan, because we were always really good. Hats off to younger fans who have never seen a "meaningful game," because they found plenty of things to love about NU anyway, and now they are about to be rewarded.

• Plus1 2

I know plenty of older Husker fans who say some of their best Husker memories were games played within the last 20 years. Heck, the Henery kick and Suh pick six are talked about by people just as much as the '92 Colorado game.

Speaking of, my most fun time at a Husker game was that '08 Colorado game. Great atmosphere, fantastic ending.

10 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

I'd describe the last 20 as lacking the exhilaration of being in the hunt for a NC.  I remember T. Martinez talking about competing for a NC before season start.  I just shook my head and knew it wasn't possible.  We also don't have the same caliber of players making extraordinary plays which was a lot of fun to watch in the glory days.  The defense in '09 was fun to watch in that regard.  You never knew when TO might run a very creative trick play which was fun.  I hope Frost brings a fun factor to the offense but I think we need some more playmakers before it's really FUN..

• Plus1 2

It’s funny reading holier than thou posts from people who never played for Nebraska and their claim to fame was having been born early enough to watch college kids who were better at football.

Ya, winning championships and blowing most teams out was awesome. But having a bunch of close, exciting games is another kind of fun. I would put the 2008 Colorado game and 2009 Missouri game and 2018 Michigan State game up there with pretty much any regular season games in the 1990s. Except maybe 1997 Missouri. I wouldn’t say I was as excited about those games heading in as I was for playing Colorado or Kansas State during the 90’s, but as far as the actual game, they were great.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

The blowout games in the 90's when I was in school at UNL were boring.

It helps prove that Nebraska did indeed have exciting games in the last 20 years. Very few blowouts are ever mentioned as a fan's most "fun" experience. The games that are mentioned either had massive implications to pair with the result ('96 Fiesta Bowl, '92 Colorado) or they featured some extraordinary element (the tOSU and Wisconsin comebacks, the '08 Colorado game, or '09 Missouri game just to name a few).

It's elitist and absurd to suggest anything in the last 20 years lacked excitement.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It helps prove that Nebraska did indeed have exciting games in the last 20 years. Very few blowouts are ever mentioned as a fan's most "fun" experience. The games that are mentioned either had massive implications to pair with the result ('96 Fiesta Bowl, '92 Colorado) or they featured some extraordinary element (the tOSU and Wisconsin comebacks, the '08 Colorado game, or '09 Missouri game just to name a few).

It's elitist and absurd to suggest anything in the last 20 years lacked excitement.

So true!