House Judiciary Committee Investigation

Step aside, Mueller. There's a new investigation in town.

House Judiciary launches sweeping Trump probe

The House Judiciary Committee launched on Monday a sweeping investigation of President Trump and his inner circle that will focus on 3 broad spheres of interest: allegations of obstruction of justice, public corruption, and other abuses of power.

The panel sent document requests to 81 individuals and entities related to the president and allegations of possible misconduct, giving them a deadline of March 18 to respond. The president's business, charity, campaign, inaugural committee and family are among those to receive document requests.

The full list: (it's 81 people so condensed)

Spoiler

1. Alan Garten 
  2. Alexander Nix
  3. Allen Weisselberg
  4. American Media Inc
  5. Anatoli Samochornov
  6. Andrew Intrater
  7. Annie Donaldson
  8. Brad Parscale
  9. Brittany Kaiser
  10. Cambridge Analytica
  11. Carter Page
  12. Columbus Nova
  13. Concord Management and Consulting
  14. Corey Lewandowski
  15. David Pecker
  16. Department of Justice
  17. Don McGahn
  18. Donald J Trump Revocable Trust
  19. Donald Trump Jr.
  20. Dylan Howard
  21. Eric Trump
  22. Erik Prince
  23. Federal Bureau of Investigation
  24. Felix Sater
  25. Flynn Intel Group
  26. General Services Administration
  27. George Nader
  28. George Papadopoulos
  29. Hope Hicks
  30. Irakly Kaveladze
  31. Jared Kushner
  32. Jason Maloni
  33. Jay Sekulow
  34. Jeff Sessions
  35. Jerome Corsi
  36. John Szobocsan
  37. Julian Assange
  38. Julian David Wheatland
  39. Keith Davidson
  40. KT McFarland
  41. Mark Corallo
  42. Matt Tait
  43. Matthew Calamari
  44. Michael Caputo
  45. Michael Cohen
  46. Michael Flynn
  47. Michael Flynn Jr
  48. Paul Erickson
  49. Paul Manafort
  50. Peter Smith (Estate)
  51. Randy Credico
  52. Reince Priebus
  53. Rhona Graff
  54. Rinat Akhmetshin
  55. Rob Goldstone
  56. Roger Stone
  57. Ronald Lieberman
  58. Sam Nunberg
  59. SCL Group Limited
  60. Sean Spicer
  61. Sheri Dillon
  62. Stefan Passantino
  63. Steve Bannon
  64. Ted Malloch
  65. The White House
  66. Trump Campaign
  67. Trump Foundation
  68. Trump Organization
  69. Trump Transition
  70. Viktor Vekselberg
  71. Wikileaks
  72. 58th Presidential Inaugural Committee
  73. Christopher Bancroft Burnham
  74. Frontier Services Group
  75. J.D. Gordon
  76. Kushner Companies
  77. NRA
  78. Rick Gates
  79. Tom Barrack
  80. Tom Bossert
  81. Tony Fabrizio

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

"The panel sent document requests to 81 individuals and entities related to the president and allegations of possible misconduct, giving them a deadline of March 18 to respond."

What happens if they don't respond?

12 minutes ago, Fru said:

"The panel sent document requests to 81 individuals and entities related to the president and allegations of possible misconduct, giving them a deadline of March 18 to respond."

That’s what I’m wondering. If they don’t, the GOP will be ok with it and do nothing. It won’t move the needle for any Republican voters which might signal to them they can also ignore election results if Trump loses. Just a thought. 

• Plus1 2
22 minutes ago, Fru said:

Looking at that list, there will likely be a great many who do not respond.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I wonder if there's some legal limitation on calling family members to testify against another family member.  Jared isn't a blood relative.

I don't know about that, but the names and requests mentioned in the article only mention document requests, not testimony (not yet, anyway). These requests are not subpoenas, so I wonder if there is any penalty for not responding, or how much authority these requests actually carry.

I suppose if these documents were critical, they could be subpoena'd (I don't know the past tense of subpoena), but I don't know what kind of power this committee has, or how much they are able to overlap with other ongoing investigations. Some of the folks on this list (Roger Stone, Michael Cohen, for example) have already either been arrested, indicted, convicted, etc, and the requested documents may be sealed up as part of Mueller's evidence.

I'm interested to see what this new inquiry expects to uncover and if they will actually get enough of a response to go anywhere with it.

9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I don't know about that, but the names and requests mentioned in the article only mention document requests, not testimony (not yet, anyway). These requests are not subpoenas, so I wonder if there is any penalty for not responding, or how much authority these requests actually carry.

I suppose if these documents were critical, they could be subpoena'd (I don't know the past tense of subpoena), but I don't know what kind of power this committee has, or how much they are able to overlap with other ongoing investigations. Some of the folks on this list (Roger Stone, Michael Cohen, for example) have already either been arrested, indicted, convicted, etc, and the requested documents may be sealed up as part of Mueller's evidence.

I'm interested to see what this new inquiry expects to uncover and if they will actually get enough of a response to go anywhere with it.

The committee also has the power of politics and the media. Anyone who doesn't respond could simply be outed as having failed to respond and let the media and the public reaction put pressure on them.

1 hour ago, Fru said:

I would imagine they would likely be grilled as to why they didn’t respond if they were to eventually get subpoenaed to testify. Their lack of response could also be used to bolster future obstruction of justice charges if they were deemed less than cooperative down the road. 

• Plus1 2
Just now, RedDenver said:

The committee also has the power of politics and the media. Anyone who doesn't respond could simply be outed as having failed to respond and let the media and the public reaction put pressure on them.

Good point, but many of the names on the list might be immune to such public pressure, especially if that pressure is only coming from the left. It could be viewed as nothing but a political stunt by the right. But at the same time it is good to see congress doing something, rather than nothing. The more pressure, no matter what form it comes in, they can apply to the Trump administration, the better.

This isn't good for AMI, who's on that list. They entered into a non-prosecution agreement with federal prosecutors in which they agreed to clean their act up. This is NOT cleaning their act up. From what I heard, the Enquirer did this as a favor to Trump because he hates Bezos.

If they have receipts AMI is screwed. That agreement is going bye bye.