*** 2024 Recruiting ***

10 hours ago, Decked said:

I would figure N will land close to 4 or so 4 star players this summer. If that makes you feel better. 

Who? Buford and Nelson perhaps. I'm not sure who else.

10 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think the staff has a formula for the type of athlete they like. I would bet the types of kids we are bringing in are similar to what he brought in at Baylor and they were very good under Rhule. As soon as the Ws start to pile up the recruiting will take off for what you want to see.

I get that. 

But the most common talking point when a coach starts a job recruiting 3* players is that they are "his" type of player. All coaches get this treatment after being hired. There isn't anything new or unique about recruiting track athletes and trying to make them into football stars. Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

But Nebraska supposedly has a large NIL endowment and it's not leading to any surge in talent the team desperately needs. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
49 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I get that. 

But the most common talking point when a coach starts a job recruiting 3* players is that they are "his" type of player. All coaches get this treatment after being hired. There isn't anything new or unique about recruiting track athletes and trying to make them into football stars. Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

But Nebraska supposedly has a large NIL endowment and it's not leading to any surge in talent the team desperately needs. 

McGahee, Buford, Carter Nelson, and Kaelin probably gets a bump to 4* if he doesn't s#!t the bed at elite 11.  

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I get that. 

To be fair Nebraska was already paying these players under the table. Now it’s just legal. And again as I have said Nebraska is behind this class because they had to finish 23 first. Plus this program has been in the dumps since 2015-2016. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I get that. 

20 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

McGahee, Buford, Carter Nelson, and Kaelin probably gets a bump to 4* if he doesn't s#!t the bed at elite 11.  

We already have Gradney committed too

38 minutes ago, Decked said:

To be fair Nebraska was already paying these players under the table. Now it’s just legal. And again as I have said Nebraska is behind this class because they had to finish 23 first. Plus this program has been in the dumps since 2015-2016. 

As many coaching changes as we have had in the last 20 years, I would think Husker fans would understand that the first class and possibly the second class is affected by the change...just simply based on relationship building, scouting...etc.

But....I guess some people forget the past.

• TBH 1
3 hours ago, Decked said:

I do think this aspect is a bit overblown. I know of my own personal experience in college talking to players - who seemed genuinely nervous about extra benefits - as well as the experience of a friend who owns a memorabilia store. Players were extremely nervous to even talk about signing items for pay until they graduated, and the sums of money weren't large. Was it happening? Sure, but I don't think it was as widespread as people think. 

• TBH 1
On 6/5/2023 at 12:39 PM, Dr. Strangelove said:

I do think this aspect is a bit overblown. I know of my own personal experience in college talking to players - who seemed genuinely nervous about extra benefits - as well as the experience of a friend who owns a memorabilia store. Players were extremely nervous to even talk about signing items for pay until they graduated, and the sums of money weren't large. Was it happening? Sure, but I don't think it was as widespread as people think. 

Now you are just taxed for it 

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Decked said:

Lots of the developmental guys coming up 

Yep. Isn’t that kind of Rhules strength?  Hard to develop a maxed out HS kid without the measureables. Hard to recruit the developed Hs recruit with the measureables.

Good thing is that our coaches have worked with these guys at camps and have seen them in first person move.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Decked said:

Lots of the developmental guys coming up 

The problem is that when huge chunks of the roster need development, it's a bad omen.

1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

Yep. Isn’t that kind of Rhules strength?  Hard to develop a maxed out HS kid without the measureables. Hard to recruit the developed Hs recruit with the measureables.

Good thing is that our coaches have worked with these guys at camps and have seen them in first person move.  

Dozens of other coaches have seen the film and works camp circuits. They chose not to offer.

This recruiting is flat out not good enough. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
8 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The problem is that when huge chunks of the roster need development, it's a bad omen.

Dozens of other coaches have seen the film and works camp circuits. They chose not to offer.

This recruiting is flat out not good enough. 

If we Wanted to recruit right now we would have hired hugh freeze. This is how Rhule works. I will trust their eye until it proves to be wrong.

They mentioned how hands on Rhule is at camps. At a lot of camps the head coach will make an appearance and that is about it. 

• Plus1 4