*** 2024 Recruiting ***

2 minutes ago, Decked said:

While I don’t disagree one of the largest looming issues is you won’t play a bowl game here. I am hesitant to place lofty expectations but a bowl game in year one feels very key to early success/buy in for recruits/players/fans.

I completely agree. With this roster, the expectation should be a bowl game and the chance to win 7-8 games. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Vince R. said:

I completely agree. With this roster, the expectation should be a bowl game and the chance to win 7-8 games. 

I think if that happens it’s a whole different ballgame. I think almost no matter what the 2025 class seems to be going very well. Much better than the 2024. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Decked said:

I think if that happens it’s a whole different ballgame. I think almost no matter what the 2025 class seems to be going very well. Much better than the 2024. 

In complete agreement here too. Sky is the limit in some cases if they start off hot. 

8 minutes ago, Decked said:

In 2025 we already have good relationships with Saunders and Manske at the QB spot. Mozee and Christian Jones are two highly-rated recruits who have been on campus many times. There are many more relationships being built that we have no clue about. This has potential to be a top 25 class. Top 15 potential if we make a bowl.

7 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

The problem is that when huge chunks of the roster need development, it's a bad omen.

Dozens of other coaches have seen the film and works camp circuits. They chose not to offer.

This recruiting is flat out not good enough. 

Bring that same energy if we start winning games too okay?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
50 minutes ago, Decked said:

Just saying but have you seen the amount of Texas guys in this class? I know you mean high quality guys but right now out of Texas they have 

Buford, Gradney, Flynt, Pyle, & Prude with a chance to add a lot more. There is a ton of Texas flavor. 

5/12 guys are from Texas. 

Yes I check recruiting several times a day and yes as you say there are already a number of Texas kids. I like the thought of making Texas a base for recruiting. I am going to have to hope these coaches can develop the recruits they get and that the coaches are as good at identifying talent as we were sold on. For the last 20 years that has been our hope and we are batting about .150.

9 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Yes I check recruiting several times a day and yes as you say there are already a number of Texas kids. I like the thought of making Texas a base for recruiting. I am going to have to hope these coaches can develop the recruits they get and that the coaches are as good at identifying talent as we were sold on. For the last 20 years that has been our hope and we are batting about .150.

Since Pelini, the coaches chased highly offered recruits only to either strike out and settle for last minute replacements or sign the widely offered kids and fail to coach them up. While I think some of these players could have waited for full ride offers, I can't help but wonder if getting some of these guys on board now will help put some pressure on others to make decisions. Additionally, Cooper handles this position group so he must see the clay enough to develop. 

As for Texas, almost half the class is out of Texas right now where our current plans include exactly zero games in the state. I'm not sure how much of the class you're expecting to come from the state, but should we come out strong this season, we'll see improved interest from Texas along with many other regions of the country. The unfortunate fact of the matter is that until the program can get back to winning enough to make bowl games, we're going to struggle to attract too many of the highly sought after recruits. 

• TBH 1
8 minutes ago, 505 Husker said:

Nate Gerry and Jojo Domann started out about the same ratings and measurables.

Seemed to work out ok for us and the NFL...

Out of how many we took with that same rating? Bo was infamous for his backup guys who never seemed to make it or do much at all. He was a 100% developmental guy. 

6 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Nebraska beat out Missouri Southern State for this one. 

Matt Rhule is going to have to turn Nebraska into the best developmental program in the country with the talent they're bringing in. This is pretty pathetic.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing but I'm not sure that will be the case everywhere.  It seems like they're pretty willing to take elite athletes at defensive back and linebacker.  But I'm not sure that means that will continue to be the case for all positions.

• TBH 1

It would be interesting to know how many commitments there were today.  There were a ton.

I think there were at least three that were supposed to visit Nebraska next weekend.  

And there may be a couple more Husker commits that haven't been announced yet....