*** 2024 Recruiting ***

12 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

My take is that it's unreasonable to expect our level of recruiting in year one after 6 losing seasons in a row before Rhule has coached a single quarter to be championship caliber.

Why people are looking at the current recruits and worrying about winning conference championships is insane. It's a process and a build. 

I think the takes on the far end of the spectrum are off the mark yes, but I think the general consensus is we could be getting a more highly rated set of prospects to commit.  I fully support the developmental prospects, the under the radar etc for a certain number of each class, but the question is how many is too many.  We are still Nebraska and can get a certain number of higher rated kids interested regardless if we have sucked or not.   We need a developer of talent, but we do need a mix of more proven talent to go with under the radar guys.   I don't know who is asking for championship caliber today, but simply questioning whether this is even good enough for the foundation to build as you say. 

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't know who is asking for championship caliber today, but simply questioning whether this is even good enough for the foundation to build as you say. 

During the summer and fall people need to remember that the transfer portal is a real and notable thing, even though during those months it's mostly invisible. 

There's no doubt some of our commits and recruits are reaches. But at the same time, only two of our 12 currently committed players don't have offers from other P5 schools, we're in year one, the class is far from full, some of these guys will decommit, none of that has anything to say about the depth and talent and experience we will bring in via the portal, and we're still sitting at #29.

A coach's first full year class is never a playmaker class unless you're elite. The first one is a glue class.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, funhusker said:

True. I think most fans want to believe Rhule will develop players.

Would you rather see him develop 4/5 stars or Div 2 guys?

If he’s truly a developer, I’d wager on the higher recruited guys making a better team. Just based on the statistics of championship teams recruiting more highly touted players.

Very well said.  I mean, it’s not like Saban and Kirby are developing a bunch of 3 star talent into championship teams.   They are developing kids, but those kids are starting at a higher level of talent and developing into great players and teams.  

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Very well said.  I mean, it’s not like Saban and Kirby are developing a bunch of 3 star talent into championship teams.   They are developing kids, but those kids are starting at a higher level of talent and developing into great players and teams.  

See this is where/how I sort of see it.

The idea that you can "develop" players is true BUT there are limits.  We all knew the kid who was the "tall kid" in 5th grade or 8th grade, whatever...and of course, he dominated...then stopped growing and by 16 years old, 5 foot 9 was all of a sudden not so tall.  Or that kid that was shaving at halftime of a middle school game...but 3 years later, everyone caught up and passed him.

Are these guys finished products when they get to college?  Of course not...BUT there is only so much left to squeeze out of them.

If two staffs both "develop" players equally...I would rather have the staff that is starting with highly ranked guys.  The idea that Smart/Saban/Meyer don't develop guys is crazy...they are taking studs and making them better studs.

When you start out with "average" you can probably hope to develop to like an Iowa level...where they jerk off over 7 wins.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, runningblind said:

I think the takes on the far end of the spectrum are off the mark yes, but I think the general consensus is we could be getting a more highly rated set of prospects to commit.  I fully support the developmental prospects, the under the radar etc for a certain number of each class, but the question is how many is too many.  We are still Nebraska and can get a certain number of higher rated kids interested regardless if we have sucked or not.   We need a developer of talent, but we do need a mix of more proven talent to go with under the radar guys.   I don't know who is asking for championship caliber today, but simply questioning whether this is even good enough for the foundation to build as you say. 

Plus I think some had hoped his success at previous stops in college and having just been in the NFL would have elevated recruiting above what Frost was doing. Whether he has played a game here or not. But at the end of the day we win games and recruiting gets easier 

• Plus1 1

We now have Crystal Ball Predictions to add Gatlin Bair, Isaiah McMorris, Dae'Vonn Hall, Landen Davidson, Michael Burt, Jacory Barney, Donovan Jones, Joseph Anderson, Quinn Clark, and Caleb Pyfrom.

We lead for Carter Nelson on On3's RPM

Bair, Nelson, Hall, and Barney are each 4-stars, and McMorris is the highest 3-star rating

5 minutes ago, THROW_DEM_BONES said:

We now have Crystal Ball Predictions to add Gatlin Bair, Isaiah McMorris, Dae'Vonn Hall, Landen Davidson, Michael Burt, Jacory Barney, Donovan Jones, Joseph Anderson, Quinn Clark, and Caleb Pyfrom.

We lead for Carter Nelson on On3's RPM

Bair, Nelson, Hall, and Barney are each 4-stars, and McMorris is the highest 3-star rating

Add Caleb Benning. Where are you seeing Gatlin Bair CBs?

Rhule's philosophy - at least at some positions, and WR, DB and probably LB seem to be some of them - is that they want elite athletes.  If they've seen them make the plays they need to make (on film or in person) they are interested in taking them.   They think they can train them to do it better/more often as long as them seen them do it before.  So they might not be the guys making the great plays all the time (and, thus, not as highly rated), but if they've shown they can do it they think they can help them do it more often.

• Fire 2

23 hours ago, Mavric said:

Michigan State put together six double-digit win seasons in an eight-year span including three Top 10 teams and two conference championships built on recruiting classes mostly in the 30s.

So you do have a point.  But you're being fairly over-dramatic about it.

I'd counter argue that the circumstances which allowed Michigan State to be successful are no longer around. Penn State and Ohio State are no longer programs dealing with sanctions, Michigan has a competent head coach.

Talent consolidation at the top of college football has caused those rosters - already strong - to have fewer weaknesses. 

To be fair, I don't think Nebraska has the ability to win the conference. But I do hope they can turn into a 9-3 program with better recruiting and player development. 

58 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I'd counter argue that the circumstances which allowed Michigan State to be successful are no longer around. Penn State and Ohio State are no longer programs dealing with sanctions, Michigan has a competent head coach.

Talent consolidation at the top of college football has caused those rosters - already strong - to have fewer weaknesses. 

To be fair, I don't think Nebraska has the ability to win the conference. But I do hope they can turn into a 9-3 program with better recruiting and player development. 

Eh ... Ohio State is as good as anyone in the nation.

But Penn State lost to Iowa, Illinois and Michigan State as recently as two years ago.  Michigan barely beat Illinois and Maryland last year.  For that matter, Ohio State was only ahead of 1-11 Northwestern by 7 points with five minutes to play last year.

Those teams are good.  But it's not like no one else in the B1G has any chance to beat them.

• TBH 1