** 2019 Opponent Previews : Minnesota (Game 7) **

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Prediction...they win (with a bowl game) 10 games and PJ dips the f#&% out of that place and is a new school before Feb 1st. 

Let me ask you a question.  If Fleck can win at Minnesota, why would he leave?

• A B1G program, with all the budgetary freedom and earning potential that that implies.
  • Flagship university with a student population of nearly 50,000
  • The only FBS school in a state of 6 million +
  • With one of the newest and nicest stadiums in major college football and a nearly new "athletic village" representing huge investments in the football program in the last 15 years.

I'm not asking as a pollyanna, because I know why one leaves one job for another.  But I am suggesting that we reconsider what we think we know about the Minnesota HC job.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

• A B1G program, with all the budgetary freedom and earning potential that that implies.
  • With one of the newest and nicest stadiums in major college football and a nearly new "athletic village" representing huge investments in the football program in the last 15 years.

I'm not asking as a pollyanna, because I know why one leaves one job for another.  But I am suggesting that we reconsider what we think we know about the Minnesota HC job.

Because coaches are nomads until they get what they think is the dream job.  And because coaches (like most people) want to cash another lotto ticket.

It is not a slam on your school, it is the nature of the beast.  Very few schools are dream schools and very few coaches are at their dream job.  

It is like they say...when you see a hot girl walking down the street...always remember that there is a guy that is tired of f#&%ing her.

• Plus1 2

21 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Dana Holgerson left West Virginia for Houston, Gary Anderson left Wisconsin for Oregon State, Willie Taggert left Oregon for Florida State, Jimbo Fisher left Florida State for Texas A&M I think coaching is just a weird profession.  Fleck very well could stay for the reasons you state or he could go after perceived greener pastures.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Team rank. 

Defense points per game. 

Northwestern - 29

Nebraska - 64

Minnesota - 68

Offense points per game. 

Minnesota - 30

Nebraska - 70

Northwestern - 129

Per ESPN. I’m assuming this weekends games are included. 

What are we supposed to take  from this information? Serious question because I can't make heads or tails of what that means for us

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

What are we supposed to take  from this information? Serious question because I can't make heads or tails of what that means for us

I’m putting it out there for discussion purposes. 

Northwestern has had the toughest schedule and the higher rated defense. That would indicate that their defense is probably pretty dang good and was possibly a major part of why we only scored 13 points. 

Minnesota, on the other hand, hasn’t played anybody good and they have the lowest rated defense. Which, is good for us because we might go into the game with a number of key injuries on our offense.  

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m putting it out there for discussion purposes. 

Northwestern has had the toughest schedule and the higher rated defense. That would indicate that their defense is probably pretty dang good and was possibly a major part of why we only scored 13 points. 

Minnesota, on the other hand, hasn’t played anybody good and they have the lowest rated defense. Which, is good for us because we might go into the game with a number of key injuries on our offense.  

Maybe, but yesterday the Gopher defense was stout. The Illinois offense scored three points. Their two touchdowns were a via a pick six and a scoop and score.

I don't mind that the Gophers have played a soft schedule so far. I'm enjoying the ride.

I’m not confident about this game but I’m also not convinced Minnesota is a lot better than Northwestern or Purdue. They played better against Illinois than we did but the transitive property doesn’t apply. If we can do well on turnovers again (big if) we should have a good chance of winning.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I’m not confident about this game but I’m also not convinced Minnesota is a lot better than Northwestern or Purdue. They played better against Illinois than we did but the transitive property doesn’t apply. If we can do well on turnovers again (big if) we should have a good chance of winning.

Agree with this. The Illinois vs. Neb score would have been much different if we hadn’t turned the ball over so much. I’m thinking Minnesota’s luck should surely run out soon? I think it will be a nail-biter next Saturday.

Let's see here....in 2017 they beat us 54-21 in Minneapolis under Riley.

In 2018 we beat them 53-28 in Lincoln under Frost.

Both of these stats are meaningless this year. We seems to be in some kind of funk that keeps us doing a little of everything wrong. They have more BIG TEN giants who might fall on more of our skill players. So far Minnesota has been a steamroller, we don't handle steamrollers well. They have a quality coach in PJ.  I think we should be overjoyed to squeak out a win in this one. My guess would be 24-21 or 17-14...something like that.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Let's see here....in 2017 they beat us 54-21 in Minneapolis under Riley.

In 2018 we beat them 53-28 in Lincoln under Frost.

Both of these stats are meaningless this year. We seems to be in some kind of funk that keeps us doing a little of everything wrong. They have more BIG TEN giants who might fall on more of our skill players. So far Minnesota has been a steamroller, we don't handle steamrollers well. They have a quality coach in PJ.  I think we should be overjoyed to squeak out a win in this one. My guess would be 24-21 or 17-14...something like that.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Minnesota they're undefeated. However they haven't been steamrollers that I've seen. They've averaged 3.5 yards per carry during the easiest part of their schedule. Also, in the games I've seen I wouldn't call it steam rolling. In fact, their big tackle looked soft and slow to me. They've gotten it done and good for them, but they're are not remotely like Wisconsin who is a real steamroller. 

• Plus1 1