Rhonda Revelle suspended pending review

On 8/26/2019 at 9:19 AM, teachercd said:

I think it is safe to say it went like this...

Player(s) bitched about something and "turned her in" the U has to investigate any and all accusations.  Nothing at all turned up.

Sooooo, now the players need to be held accountable. 

I was right with you until the bolded.

It is possible that a player or some players may be asked to leave if it comes out they did this purposely to lie and hurt the coach.  However, that isn't a definite even though the investigation didn't find anything bad with the coach.

I've been in many situations where an employee or employees come to me complaining about their supervisor.  After studying the situation, it's found out that the supervisor wasn't doing anything wrong.  The employees were unhappy, and coming to me wasn't inappropriate.  Communicate, communicate communicate.  Sometimes it takes a sit down meeting to explain each other's side of the issues and it's taken care of.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Very interesting...but this article raises more questions than it answers.

Players said Revelle asked them to report to her on each other’s love lives and texted players at all hours of the day and night. In one instance, a player said Revelle texted her nearly 100 times over the course of one afternoon.

One recent former player said she suffered an injury during a game, and while lying in bed that night crying in pain, she received harassing text messages from Revelle questioning her injury. According to several players, investigators were told of another former player who was bullied into playing through a thumb injury for much of a season only to be examined by a family doctor after the season, who told her that she should have been in a cast for a month. Her family covered the medical bills out of pocket. Investigators also were told of a player who was in a serious car accident and said she was rushed straight to an away game without receiving a concussion test and later suffered headaches and post-concussion symptoms.

So now we know a little bit more about the complaints, but this article does not share anything about the actual evidence. A lot of the stuff in the quote above can be easily verified via phone records and medical records. If true, these kinds of allegations are serious and have brought down way bigger fish than a softball coach, so I would imagine that if these claims could be proven, she would have been long gone. 

This article doesn't provide any substantive detail about the merits of the allegations, and no one has a copy of the actual findings. But here something I would question as an investigator: regarding the 100 harassing text messages in one day, did the player respond? Was it an actual conversation? If so, how can you show that the messages were unwelcome (depending on the nature of the convo)? Now a player may feel that she must engage in the convo because this is the coach, but the actual context of the conversation is important. And I have also found in these sorts of investigations that when someone says that they have received damning texts/photos/emails, etc, that they have been deleted. This BS happens all the time. Evidence is important, and these things need to be verified. For the players who have transferred out or graduated already, if this stuff has any substance to it, what would stop them from publicly bringing the receipts?

Also I am guessing that since the specific complaints were anonymous, that there was no Complainant of record to give a report to.

“I think Nebraska missed an opportunity to take seriously the athletes’ concerns about the program,” Nevius said. “They essentially disregarded the athletes’ serious complaints.”

This right here is a clown statement. This guy hasn't seen the report, either. There was a 2 month investigation. He has no idea if NU is or isn't taking their complaints seriously, but given that it was such a long investigation, and publicly known, I would wager that NU did what they were supposed to do.

Having said that, athletes, and all students for that matter, do need to be appropriately protected. NU has numerous resources for reporting concerns; they need to make sure the resources and services are well known. 

• Plus1 2

Hmmm.

Not sure what to believe.

I've read the letter above, and a couple of news articles. There are no specifics about what the "fat-shaming" or "bullying" was.  Those are pretty vague terms, and can mean different things to different people.

That a player's parents paid for medical treatment out of their own pocket seems pretty bad. Did they submit medical info/bills to the school?

Did the player in the car accident complain that she felt injured, possibly concussed?

Lots of unanswered questions.

And lots of former players saying that the ones complaining are soft. Hard to say which is true at this point.

• Fire 1
29 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

According to the young women. They were highly discouraged from seeking legal counsel during the investigation and administration told them that the University represented them.

I think I'm gonna call BS on that. Unless NU's administration and investigators are totally inept, there is no way they would have said that.

• Plus1 1