Sign in to follow this  
cheekygeek

2 QBs on the field?

13 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Does the Flea Kicker count?

I seem to recall Frost having a number of different "gimmicky or tricky plays last year.   I believe we ran some rather nice looking 'statue of liberty' type plays and more than one where the RB was either throwing after the hand off or atleast appeared so inclined.   Some of his bread and butter type plays could arguably have been considered gimmicky not that many years ago.

As for having 2 QBs in the game at the same time, that has happened over many decades.   I recall Crouch catching a pass for a long TD from our 3rd string QB vs. Oklahoma.

It appears McCaffery is actually making a strong push for the QB spot, such that Adrian may actually have some real competition.   This is great news for both those guys and even better for the team.   If I am Frost, I view McCaffery as a vital piece of the puzzle which should allow Frost to use Adrian's running skills much more freely and frequently without being so afraid of losing his one and only QB.   This will make the offense so much more lethal if opponents truly fear the QB run game - this is absolutely essential to a potent offense in my view.  Hopefully we don't need Adrian to be a battering ram but at the same time, this will mean he can run hard and strong and minimize the slides and the runs out of bounds to avoid tackles.  Adrian is big and strong and has some shake and bake so teams will have to make best efforts to bring him down or he'll make big plays out of the medium ones.   This is the key.  His heisman chances will grown exponentially if he plays with the all out fire and guts we know he is capable of.      

15 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I seem to recall Frost having a number of different "gimmicky or tricky plays last year.   I believe we ran some rather nice looking 'statue of liberty' type plays and more than one where the RB was either throwing after the hand off or atleast appeared so inclined.   Some of his bread and butter type plays could arguably have been considered gimmicky not that many years ago.

As for having 2 QBs in the game at the same time, that has happened over many decades.   I recall Crouch catching a pass for a long TD from our 3rd string QB vs. Oklahoma.

It appears McCaffery is actually making a strong push for the QB spot, such that Adrian may actually have some real competition.   This is great news for both those guys and even better for the team.   If I am Frost, I view McCaffery as a vital piece of the puzzle which should allow Frost to use Adrian's running skills much more freely and frequently without being so afraid of losing his one and only QB.   This will make the offense so much more lethal if opponents truly fear the QB run game - this is absolutely essential to a potent offense in my view.  Hopefully we don't need Adrian to be a battering ram but at the same time, this will mean he can run hard and strong and minimize the slides and the runs out of bounds to avoid tackles.  Adrian is big and strong and has some shake and bake so teams will have to make best efforts to bring him down or he'll make big plays out of the medium ones.   This is the key.  His heisman chances will grown exponentially if he plays with the all out fire and guts we know he is capable of.      

I get what your saying in wanting the players to exude toughness at the same time I want Martinez taking as few hits as possible and to pick his spots.  No reason to let defenders tee off on you and get a free hit.

If McCaffery wins the backup job over Vedral then fantastic.  In a perfect world, I'd imagine Frost would prefer that McCaffery gets 4 games in and redshirts to save a year of eligibility and put a gap between he and 2AM. 

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I get what your saying in wanting the players to exude toughness at the same time I want Martinez taking as few hits as possible and to pick his spots.  No reason to let defenders tee off on you and get a free hit.

If McCaffery wins the backup job over Vedral then fantastic.  In a perfect world, I'd imagine Frost would prefer that McCaffery gets 4 games in and redshirts to save a year of eligibility and put a gap between he and 2AM. 

I'm with you.  I want Martinez to be a huge threat in the run game, but I don't want him taking extra hits, just for the sake of taking hits.  He needs to pick his spots and know when it's the right time to use his size and get extra yards.

I think people need to remember that McCaffrey is in his 2nd week of Fall Camp.  Yes, he's athletic, fast, and has a good grasp of the offense, which has enabled him to battle for the backup QB spot.  However, there is still a sizable gap between Martinez (who could be one of the best NU QB's ever) and whomever is the backup QB.

Not suggesting anything, as I would hope they RS him. With that said, I remember as a freshman, Bobby Newcombe was placed as a wingback in 1997 and was very successful. He was designated  to be the next QB after Frost graduated the next year. Sure enough he did start at the beginning of the season and Eric Crouch almost left the team. Then, as we know, Newcombe got injured, and the rest was history. He should had remained at wingback, and he could had been by far the best one at that time since Irving Fryer. But Newcombe was never the same after that and never became a star after moving back to wingback. I don’t remember if he had a bad attitude, or it was poor coaching by Frank Solich.  

Remember how deadly we were for a small moment in 2010 with Rex Burkhead's wildcat packages? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Not suggesting anything, as I would hope they RS him. With that said, I remember as a freshman, Bobby Newcombe was placed as a wingback in 1997 and was very successful. He was designated  to be the next QB after Frost graduated the next year. Sure enough he did start at the beginning of the season and Eric Crouch almost left the team. Then, as we know, Newcombe got injured, and the rest was history. He should had remained at wingback, and he could had been by far the best one at that time since Irving Fryer. But Newcombe was never the same after that and never became a star after moving back to wingback. I don’t remember if he had a bad attitude, or it was poor coaching by Frank Solich.  

The biggest thing that hurt Newcombe's career was getting injured (torn MCL in 1998).  That really took away his quickness and explosiveness as a QB.  I don't know if it's fair to say he should have never started at QB in 1998.  First, he was a super highly regarded recruit with amazing speed and running ability, and probably was a better passer than Crouch.  Second, there weren't many people who thought Crouch would be the QB that he ended up being.  Crouch spent the '97 season being injured (broken foot I think) and battled injuries himself (hip mainly) in 1998.  Newcombe was a better QB in 1998, but after his injury, Newcombe was not the better QB in 1999.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, FTW said:

Does Frost even call gimmicky plays?

It is probably a little early to say. You have to have players conditioned and understanding the whole offense and firing on all cylinders with your bread & butter, before you can afford to even start thinking you can execute a trick play on demand.

5 hours ago, FTW said:

Does Frost even call gimmicky plays? I can't remember any from last year nor his time at UCF, but I could be wrong.

He has stated in an interview or two since coming to Nebraska that they try to create new plays all the time and some of them have been disasters. I imagine some of the disaster ones were gimmicky.

And it depends on how you define gimmicky. Are the statue of liberty or half back pass gimmicky or does it need to be weirder than that? Because he did both of those last year (both against Minnesota, I believe).

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

Are the statue of liberty or half back pass gimmicky or does it need to be weirder than that? Because he did both of those last year (both against Minnesota, I believe).

That statue of liberty play against Minnesota was pretty great.

McCaffrey said NU’s coaches never changed their message to him from the recruiting process to now, and there has never been any talk of him playing a different position. He said they’ve told him he’s here to compete for the starting QB job.

HOL

On 8/13/2019 at 8:36 PM, Moiraine said:

He has stated in an interview or two since coming to Nebraska that they try to create new plays all the time and some of them have been disasters. I imagine some of the disaster ones were gimmicky.

And it depends on how you define gimmicky. Are the statue of liberty or half back pass gimmicky or does it need to be weirder than that? Because he did both of those last year (both against Minnesota, I believe).

In my own opinion, I classify gimmicky plays as plays you rarely run or otherwise don't practice all too much. I'm just hoping the O is firing on all cylinders and don't have to rely on these. The games I hate the most where we relied on trick plays, 2010 OU Big XII title game and 2006 @ Home vs Texas come to mind where it paid off but we still lost due to an inept offense.

I don't see offense being the problem with SF. But from what we've heard about Luke, I don't know how you CAN'T put him on the field this year at minimum within that 4 game rule. At the same time, I don't see when it is ever appropriate to remove your starting QB from taking the snap. Makes me think of Last Chance U when Independence tried a Wildcat formation when their QB was getting hot and it didn't fool anybody.

7 minutes ago, FTW said:

In my own opinion, I classify gimmicky plays as plays you rarely run or otherwise don't practice all too much. I'm just hoping the O is firing on all cylinders and don't have to rely on these. The games I hate the most where we relied on trick plays, 2010 OU Big XII title game and 2006 @ Home vs Texas come to mind where it paid off but we still lost due to an inept offense.

I don't see offense being the problem with SF. But from what we've heard about Luke, I don't know how you CAN'T put him on the field this year at minimum within that 4 game rule. At the same time, I don't see when it is ever appropriate to remove your starting QB from taking the snap. Makes me think of Last Chance U when Independence tried a Wildcat formation when their QB was getting hot and it didn't fool anybody.

I recall there being times when Osborne would bring in the backup QB before the game was over and then bringing the starter back in the 3rd quarter for awhile. Kinda doubt we’re gonna risk that (or have the opportunity very often) in year 2 though.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I recall there being times when Osborne would bring in the backup QB before the game was over and then bringing the starter back in the 3rd quarter for awhile. Kinda doubt we’re gonna risk that (or have the opportunity very often) in year 2 though.

Yep, coincidentally enough, Osborne did this very thing with Scott Frost (inserted Frankie London for a series in the first half of a game). London's drive looked okay, and when Frost was back in the game we struggled for a bit. That resulted in Frost getting booed. I guarantee Frost remembers that moment and that feeling - I doubt he would want to put his current QBs in that situation.

also...the opponent in that game? Central Florida.

8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Yep, coincidentally enough, Osborne did this very thing with Scott Frost (inserted Frankie London for a series in the first half of a game). London's drive looked okay, and when Frost was back in the game we struggled for a bit. That resulted in Frost getting booed. I guarantee Frost remembers that moment and that feeling - I doubt he would want to put his current QBs in that situation.

Ya that’s the main one I remember. 

Been thinking a lot about our back up situation at QB if heaven forbid Martinez went down with an injury.  I think Vedral would do a good job of keeping the offense going despite obv not being the play maker that Martinez is.  From everything we've been reading about McCaffrey he might not do so bad either if he was asked to step in there and have to be the man.  Of course that one might take more time adjustment wise being a true Frosh.  You never know with McCaffrey though as he seems to really be grasping the offense well for a newcomer.

More than anything just hoping we can keep Adrian healthy this year.  This is the most important aspect of our overall QB situation for me this season.  

4 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Been thinking a lot about our back up situation at QB if heaven forbid Martinez went down with an injury.  I think Vedral would do a good job of keeping the offense going despite obv not being the play maker that Martinez is.  From everything we've been reading about McCaffrey he might not do so bad if he was asked to step in there right now also.

More than anything just hoping we can keep Adrian healthy this year.  This is the most important aspect of our overall QB situation for me.

There's a chance McCaffrey could do as well or almost as well as 2AM did in his true freshman year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

There's a chance McCaffrey could do as well or almost as well as 2AM did in his true freshman year.

That's a lot to live up to but anything's possible.  You do get the feeling he could be a gamer definitely.

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, Ulty said:

If I remember correctly, TO did that when the offense wasn't really clicking on all cylinders with Frost, so he put London in and he actually did worse....so he put Frost back in.  He probably was coaching Frost like hell on the side lines.  The fans booed because a lot of them wanted London as the QB to begin with.

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

That's a lot to live up to but anything's possible.  You do get the feeling he could be a gamer definitely.

Yep, and that's the main reason why I added the "almost" part.  

One benefit McCaffrey would have is that everyone around him has been in the system for two years now.  Last year, everyone was learning something new while 2AM was trying to succeed.

It is nice to have this kind of talk - that we have a shed full of quality QBs that enables to discuss the options.  I hope no QB has to be used because one gets hurt but it is nice to know that we are deeper in that area than what we've been in recent years - actually many years.

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If I remember correctly, TO did that when the offense wasn't really clicking on all cylinders with Frost, so he put London in and he actually did worse....so he put Frost back in.  He probably was coaching Frost like hell on the side lines.  The fans booed because a lot of them wanted London as the QB to begin with.

You may be right. It's funny what sort of things stick in the memory. The booing of Scott Frost is much more vivid than the actual game play on the field. I do remember that day being very hot as well, and I think that was the same game when dozens of marching band members contracted a nasty parasite.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Osborne inserted London in the 2nd quarter of the game with NU down 10-7.  The offense wasn't necessarily sputtering, but I think Osborne wanted to get London some reps early in the game.  London led the team to a TD drive, scoring on an 8-yard run.  When Frost came back on the field as the QB the next drive, that's when he was booed.

https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1997-9-13-central-florida

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Osborne inserted London in the 2nd quarter of the game with NU down 10-7.  The offense wasn't necessarily sputtering, but I think Osborne wanted to get London some reps early in the game.  London led the team to a TD drive, scoring on an 8-yard run.  When Frost came back on the field as the QB the next drive, that's when he was booed.

https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1997-9-13-central-florida

I recall this situation very well at the time and was one if the 76000 in the stadium.   I attended nearly every home game Osborne coached.    I remember the boos very well and there were a fairly loud chorus of them at the time.   I recall reading the newspaper reporting afterwards and Osborne responding with some fairly sharp criticism of the fans 'for booing players' .   Tom may have thought that was the case and perhaps a small minority of the fans were actually booing Frost but the fact is MOST of the boos were actually directed at Coach Osborne for benching London.   They would have booed had he inserted the third string QB as well.   London had played well and lead the team and sparked them from a rather lackluster effort from the game outset.  Thew crowd disagreed with Tom taking London out - not with putting Frost in.     This may seem nitpicky I guess but to me it is a very important distinction.     I don't really ever remember the crowd ever booing an individual Husker player.   The team - yes for lack of effort, etc. a few times.  But never a player.   Now the highly paid coaches?    Yes.   They've got it coming if the make boneheaded calls, etc.   

19 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I recall reading the newspaper reporting afterwards and Osborne responding with some fairly sharp criticism of the fans 'for booing players' .   Tom may have thought that was the case and perhaps a small minority of the fans were actually booing Frost but the fact is MOST of the boos were actually directed at Coach Osborne for benching London.   They would have booed had he inserted the third string QB as well.   London had played well and lead the team and sparked them from a rather lackluster effort from the game outset.  Thew crowd disagreed with Tom taking London out - not with putting Frost in.     This may seem nitpicky I guess but to me it is a very important distinction.   

People forget that Coach Osborne has a PhD is psychology. His substitution of London for Frost May have been motivated more to settle Frost down or motivate him, or take a series to coach his starter up and less to “spark the team” or create a QB controversy that could have divided the team. There is no “control universe” to tell us what would have happened to Frost or the team if he had Frost sitting longer, but I have no doubt that Osborne knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it. Kudos to him for not letting the fans take over his Head Coach responsibilities in that situation.

4 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

People forget that Coach Osborne has a PhD is psychology. His substitution of London for Frost May have been motivated more to settle Frost down or motivate him, or take a series to coach his starter up and less to “spark the team” or create a QB controversy that could have divided the team. There is no “control universe” to tell us what would have happened to Frost or the team if he had Frost sitting longer, but I have no doubt that Osborne knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it. Kudos to him for not letting the fans take over his Head Coach responsibilities in that situation.

Do you know what his doctoral thesis was?

Spoiler

The best way to get football players to remember plays

• Plus1 1

On 8/17/2019 at 4:20 PM, huKSer said:

Do you know what his doctoral thesis was?

Reveal hidden contents

The best way to get football players to remember plays

giphy.gif

On 8/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I recall this situation very well at the time and was one if the 76000 in the stadium.   I attended nearly every home game Osborne coached.    I remember the boos very well and there were a fairly loud chorus of them at the time.   I recall reading the newspaper reporting afterwards and Osborne responding with some fairly sharp criticism of the fans 'for booing players' .   Tom may have thought that was the case and perhaps a small minority of the fans were actually booing Frost but the fact is MOST of the boos were actually directed at Coach Osborne for benching London.   They would have booed had he inserted the third string QB as well.   London had played well and lead the team and sparked them from a rather lackluster effort from the game outset.  Thew crowd disagreed with Tom taking London out - not with putting Frost in.     This may seem nitpicky I guess but to me it is a very important distinction.     I don't really ever remember the crowd ever booing an individual Husker player.   The team - yes for lack of effort, etc. a few times.  But never a player.   Now the highly paid coaches?    Yes.   They've got it coming if the make boneheaded calls, etc.   

Did you personally survey most of those 76,000 people to figure out who/what they were booing? What made it obvious to you that should've been obvious to the players and coaches on the field?

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Did you personally survey most of those 76,000 people to figure out who/what they were booing? What made it obvious to you that should've been obvious to the players and coaches on the field?

Normally I don't reply to snide remarks but in this case I will:    No I did not survey the entire crowd.   I did not have to as there were plenty of fans nearby me (a fairly representative 'random' sample I would suggest) that all felt the same way.   In fact several made the comment that it also seemed fairly apparent Osborne was afraid if he left London in for another couple series and they ended up in scoring drives (quite possible vs Central Florida - a not so formidable opponent at the time), a real QB controversy might ensue.   

Most fans, I would also add, are well aware that Osborne, not the individual players, make the decision of who is or is not playing.   The fans were quite happy to see London have success and he clearly was having fun doing it.   

I would also repeat that I still don't ever remember a single case where the crowd booed an individual player.   I have heard many an individual fan cuss the play of individual players - happens quite frequently frankly - but the crowd, as a body, not that I recall.   Boos are directed, it seems to me, at the team as a whole or more often the coach(s) for lacklulster play or dubious decisions or calls.   It doesn't happen often but it does happen.  Sometimes, the fans are unaware of all the facts at the time (injury or whatever), but I think Husker fans have been more than patient and deferential to the 'experts'. 

In my view Husker Nation has welcomed home Scott Frost as much as is theoretically possible and entrusted the very future of the entire program to his leadership.   If he fails, it may well be our last best hope of salvation.  Again, I think - as an eyewitnes to the situation - the fans were more booing Tom than Frost.   London played well and it did appear as though Tom benched London after he showed spark, fire and energy and the entire offensive unit seemed to rally abit for him. Sometimes the fans like to see the 'underdog' (the second string QB is often  seen in a sort of 'forgotten' or unappreciated role) get a chance to show what he can do.      

• Plus1 2