Defensive Play

Undone

6 minutes ago, Undone said:

We're actually doing that a good chunk of the time right now, if we count Alex Davis as the fourth lineman.

I've pointed out several times that what Minnesota did (and then Wisconsin also did, probably looking at film from that game) was run out of a four-wide set that looks like it's going to be a pass play. Then they ran to the side of the field where we had fewer numbers.

Chinander is going to have to figure out how to coach his two linebackers that stay home in that formation how to stay in run fit. That part is key.

Yes I’m sure he will have made adjustments based on the above mentioned games.

Oh wait he doesn’t adjust.

Maryland’s OC is probably doodling.....and with a very mobile QB to boot.  Scary!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

But see I don't count that because as I said previously we would be better off with Davis, Daniels, Daniels, Stille than 3 of those with Alex Davis standing up doing nothing. 

I actually agree with you. Or at least I'd like to try it to see if it works better than what we've seen. And when you said "Davis" I assume you meant:

Khalil Davis | Derrion | Damion | Ben Stille

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I actually agree with you. Or at least I'd like to try it to see if it works better than what we've seen. And when you said "Davis" I assume you meant:

Khalil Davis | Derrion | Damion | Ben Stille

Yes, that is what I would do for this year specifically. Carlos and Dentre solid enough to rotate.We had the DL depth to make this work. Our LBs cant cut it using 4 of them and then hoping we even have depth behind that. 

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Ah, my bad. Can't even tell what's sarcasm with some of the "realists" on here.

I think there's a reason not many people run a 4 man line with all DTs. If you want to slim Stille back down to 270ish, slide Davis down for one of the Daniels, and find another end sure, but now we're just talking about wholesale switching to a 4-man front defense. Which I know a lot of people want. But you think our pass rush is bad now, I shudder thinking about the 4 you mentioned in a passing situation.

Ideally yes that is what you want, but then you look at Alex Davis who has 0 sacks on the year. 4 DL make the OL work more unless you have an effective LB who can get to the QB like Griffin at UCF

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Ah, my bad. Can't even tell what's sarcasm with some of the "realists" on here.

I think there's a reason not many people run a 4 man line with all DTs. If you want to slim Stille back down to 270ish, slide Davis down for one of the Daniels, and find another end sure, but now we're just talking about wholesale switching to a 4-man front defense. Which I know a lot of people want. But you think our pass rush is bad now, I shudder thinking about the 4 you mentioned in a passing situation.

I think ERN is saying to just do this as a stop gap until we get our bigger, more talented OLBs coached up. It's a moot point because it's clear that Chinander wants to have bigger, taller OLBs that are "in-betweener" body types. 

I'm pretty sure Alex Davis is exactly what they're wanting in terms of body type. He's 6'5" and probably weights about 255. Bigger than a typical OLB but just a bit smaller than a true rush end. That's what Chinander seems to want.

The issue is that Dewitt is going to have to learn to coach these guys to actually play in these roles. The staff is asking this position to wear a couple different hats and the only way it works is if they get coached and developed to do it.

An opponents view.

Weakness

Defense. No matter what stat you look at, if it’s on the defensive side of the football, chances are Nebraska rates poorly. The Cornhuskers have given up 29.9 points per game, third-worst in the Big Ten — only ahead of Maryland and Rutgers — and it ranks tied for 83rd out of 130 teams. A similar story is told for total yardage allowed, passing and rushing defense, sacks, turnovers, etc.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-football/2019/11/22/20977028/maryland-football-nebraska-preview-predictions-stats-big-ten-mike-locksley-scott-frost

Frost literally said that as long as we can just hold opponents to 30 or less we will be fine.

Fine for cellar dwellers.

Not in the B10....maybe in the PAC 12 & AAC.  Not the B10

He needs to adjust his ideas about defense.

And stop covering for his best man.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SFW said:

Frost literally said that as long as we can just hold opponents to 30 or less we will be fine.

I'm pretty sure he meant not letting opponents score more than 30 in any given game, not averaging 30 points per game. There's a huge difference.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, SFW said:

An opponents view.

Weakness

Defense. No matter what stat you look at, if it’s on the defensive side of the football, chances are Nebraska rates poorly. The Cornhuskers have given up 29.9 points per game, third-worst in the Big Ten — only ahead of Maryland and Rutgers — and it ranks tied for 83rd out of 130 teams. A similar story is told for total yardage allowed, passing and rushing defense, sacks, turnovers, etc.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-terps-football/2019/11/22/20977028/maryland-football-nebraska-preview-predictions-stats-big-ten-mike-locksley-scott-frost

When Scott was at Oregon they were 62-2 when scoring 31 or more points. Which is where his comment stems from. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, Definitely_Not_EZ-E said:

When Scott was at Oregon they were 62-2 when scoring 31 or more points. Which is where his comment stems from. 

Assuming that stat is accurate, it's an amazing one. Really amazing.

I think we'll be putting up right around a minimum of 31 in almost all of our conference games starting next season with a Junior Adrian Martinez and then returning Mills, Stoll, Spielman, and Wan'Dale. 

Just need to learn to stop the run in this league and we'll be right there contending for the West.

*Edit: Special teams has to stop sucking though. This includes good field goal kicking.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Undone said:

Assuming that stat is accurate, it's an amazing one. Really amazing.

I think we'll be putting up right around a minimum of 31 in almost all of our conference games starting next season with a Junior Adrian Martinez and then returning Mills, Stoll, Spielman, and Wan'Dale. 

Just need to learn to stop the run in this league and we'll be right there contending for the West.

Contend for west next year?  LMAO

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SFW said:

Contend for west next year?  LMAO

Do you see something that proves otherwise? Iowa loses their 4-year starting average qb, Wiscy probably loses Jtaylor, then Minnesota (whom I still don't believe in) Illinois, Indiana and Purdue, all teams we should've beaten this year except for Minny.

Either way we have no idea of the gains the team will make in the off season so to laugh at the thought that we would be contending for the west next year is simply idiotic.

Thanks for playing though.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I write the 'long' posts (in my opinion most of the 'drive by' posts with a few words or a couple sentences are not serious discussion and debate but verbal jabs and often snarky and unworthy of their length.  My comments are typically a response to the entire discussion or because there are far too many different 'topics' when we are all talking about the same basic subject - Nebraska football -- to the broader ideas and so on.   It seems far too many on this board are of the view that there is just a simple solution (i.e. 'run the dam ball' or 'hire a better defensive coordinator, or bench a given player, or its all Steve Pederson's fault).   i just think that statistics and all the other subjects being argued (far too many of the exchanges are not friendly disagreements - they are spitting matches ) have some value and merit and need to be carefully weighed.   I have no problem with expressing a contrary opinion, positive or negative.   But before you dump players, coaches, fans, etc,  you should give a well reasoned and thoughtful basis for it.   

You write some longer comments and I enjoy reading them by the way.       

I do tease you a bit, because those big copy blocks have become a trademark of yours. I appreciate the thought that goes into them, but in all seriousness a little focus and editing makes a stronger case. 

22 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Do you see something that proves otherwise? Iowa loses their 4-year starting average qb, Wiscy probably loses Jtaylor, then Minnesota (whom I still don't believe in) Illinois, Indiana and Purdue, all teams we should've beaten this year except for Minny.

Either way we have no idea of the gains the team will make in the off season so to laugh at the thought that we would be contending for the west next year is simply idiotic.

Thanks for playing though.

I see what we see

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Truly impressive, and a nod to what concentrated coaching can do.

Then look at what Bo did with his own recruits, and all you can do is scratch your head. 

He was a great under-dog coach. Of course those d numbers might be a tad bit inflated because he was gifted a once in a lifetime player that would have been great for any coach.