Colorado Week Pressers

Mavric

On 9/2/2019 at 4:58 PM, lo country said:

I also wonder the tweet where Mo stated they need the early games as they don't go "live" a lot in practice.  I thought NU was doing a lot of good vs good this year and getting the physicality going....Maybe I dreamed that.

Yeah! And I thought that we went vanilla against USA to hide our cool stuff against Colorado but then Frost said they put in too much new stuff? That doesn't sound vanilla at all stop destroying my narrative!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Landlord said:

Yeah! And I thought that we went vanilla against USA to hide our cool stuff against Colorado but then Frost said they put in too much new stuff? That doesn't sound vanilla at all stop destroying my narrative!

I think you are misinterpreting what he meant there but go on with your bad self. Frost and other coaches also have said they had a limited playbook going into the game so what does that mean?

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I think you are misinterpreting what he meant there but go on with your bad self. Frost and other coaches also have said they had a limited playbook going into the game so what does that mean?

He used the word too "scheme-ey" to describe the plan against USA.  Maybe schemed to much to counter what they thought they would do? A lot of schemes to run?  I have no idea.  Well I do. IMHO, we simply got outplayed by their D.  A perfect storm, a new center (I mean like he has never been a center before new), 3 new OL, new skill players, an off Martinez, a poor week of practice (WTH?), poor OL blocking and odd play calling.  Maybe Frost planned very little for this game and used fall to install plans for other teams....Ok, I have no idea.  We were flat on O....

32 minutes ago, lo country said:

He used the word too "scheme-ey" to describe the plan against USA.  Maybe schemed to much to counter what they thought they would do? A lot of schemes to run?  I have no idea.  Well I do. IMHO, we simply got outplayed by their D.  A perfect storm, a new center (I mean like he has never been a center before new), 3 new OL, new skill players, an off Martinez, a poor week of practice (WTH?), poor OL blocking and odd play calling.  Maybe Frost planned very little for this game and used fall to install plans for other teams....Ok, I have no idea.  We were flat on O....

He was saying that in the context of USA running different looks in the game then they showed on film. I think he meant they tried doing things to combat what they saw on film, trying to 'predict' their next move when he should have just responded to what they were doing on the field. Just my thoughts though I could be wrong

Even if Jurgens figures out his snaps (they're not that hard to get right...) I'm still concerned about his blocking. And a lot of the O lines blocking for that matter. Dudes were getting blown up by USA. Zero push on a lot of plays. If we can't move the line of scrimmage we have major issues...

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Even if Jurgens figures out his snaps (they're not that hard to get right...) I'm still concerned about his blocking. And a lot of the O lines blocking for that matter. Dudes were getting blown up by USA. Zero push on a lot of plays. If we can't move the line of scrimmage we have major issues...

There has been some talk about whether the lack of push was from play or scheme, as we were able to push them when we really needed to. Also, there has been talk of technique (feet and hand placement) playing a role, possibly negating the strength advantage we should have had. These things can be cleaned up. I agree though, that is my biggest concern after game 1

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Well, now I'm confused. This seems like the opposite of the "vanilla" talk we were hearing.

I struggle with this "excuse". When you are playing South Alabama- your overall talent should win out and blaming it on the playbook seems lame to me. Year 2 in the system shouldnt the kids be able to handle a good portion of the playbook? UCF put down 61 in week 1 in year 2 of Frost as head coach. They played a team probably the same caliber as South Alabama. 

• Plus1 1