Colorado Rewatch

BIG ERN

Well, I had a short conversation in another thread with a guy claiming our run game was not creative and that was the major problem.  The poster (don't remember now) claimed we didn't have pulling guards, misdirection...etc.

After rewatching the posted video above of the game, I have to totally agree.  Oh, we had them.....in the first half....then disappears....and then they showed up again at about the 6 minute mark in the forth quarter.  BTW...guess what parts of the game we moved the ball the best....then stopped....then started again.

I didn't keep track.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if when we had a pulling lineman, we gained an average of 4-5 yards....even up the middle.

Frustrating.

BTW.....the first two plays of OT, don't look as bad as the first time I watched....BUT....2AM should have kept the ball both times.  I think he would have gained at least 4-5 yards each time and we would have been in a 3rd and short at worst.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, I had a short conversation in another thread with a guy claiming our run game was not creative and that was the major problem.  The poster (don't remember now) claimed we didn't have pulling guards, misdirection...etc.

After rewatching the posted video above of the game, I have to totally agree.  Oh, we had them.....in the first half....then disappears....and then they showed up again at about the 6 minute mark in the forth quarter.  BTW...guess what parts of the game we moved the ball the best....then stopped....then started again.

I didn't keep track.  But, I wouldn't be surprised if when we had a pulling lineman, we gained an average of 4-5 yards....even up the middle.

Frustrating.

BTW.....the first two plays of OT, don't look as bad as the first time I watched....BUT....2AM should have kept the ball both times.  I think he would have gained at least 4-5 yards each time and we would have been in a 3rd and short at worst.

He said it was drilled into him to hand it off. Handicapping faculties to make the right read. We call it the Helen Keller. 

• Plus1 2

It's interesting to rewatch this and focus on the OL too. In the first half, they have some really good blocks and the plays pop. However, they also had some pretty poor blocks or got blown up and it either killed the play or Adrian or Mo or one of the other playmakers makes something out of nothing.

Lots of mentions of missed tackles from linebackers and secondary. That's basic, fundamental football. Now, when kids get tired, those fundamentals start to break down, but it was maddening watching them lunge and try to make arm-tackles.

Good high-school coaches teach: 'Chop your feet!' 'Come to balance!' 'Don't lunge!' 'Square up, wrap up, and drive your feet!' 

These kids have to figure that out or we'll be seeing opposing ball-carriers running free all over the place.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

He said it was drilled into him to hand it off. Handicapping faculties to make the right read. We call it the Helen Keller. 

Yeah, and I'm curious why. Like are these plays that they were just expecting Colorado to go for Martinez, and they were trying to give him one less thing to think about? Or they're trying to correct a tendency of Martinez to keep the ball when he should give it? That's directly on the coaching staff either way IMO, if it's a read let him read it. If it's not a read it's a different play and you don't have to tell him to hand it off, that's just the play call.

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, and I'm curious why. Like are these plays that they were just expecting Colorado to go for Martinez, and they were trying to give him one less thing to think about? Or they're trying to correct a tendency of Martinez to keep the ball when he should give it? That's directly on the coaching staff either way IMO, if it's a read let him read it. If it's not a read it's a different play and you don't have to tell him to hand it off, that's just the play call.

Let your best player play.

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I think it's better called "a designed play."

I didn't watch the OT yet, but the first half had Adrian making a lot of reads (he only missed one I think). The 2nd half seemed like Scott took a lot of that away and started moving to power plays.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frustrating.

Def should of at least kept the ball one of the times. I noticed that as well. I feel if you think AM is such a good QB then put OT on his shoulders. 

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Must have thought the edge defender was in his throwing lane? But yeah, I remember that one - he's open enough that you float that around the edge guy if you need to.

He is seeing the field extremely poorly.  Maybe the most alarming things are him stating he's a lot better than last year and Scott saying he had a really good game.

If I've coached Mariota and an undefeated UCF team, I know what good looks like.  

This brand right now is not it; why keep feigning it is?  Practice was great.  Guys are way bigger and faster.  Adrian is miles ahead of last year.

Then Saturdays happen.

The disconnect is very troubling.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Undone said:

Yep. And how about this quick outside pass on the very first play of our next possession? Great first down play:

I think we tried the corner quite often but Martinez seems to often have difficulty with the throw.  I think he had problems with the same throw last year. It's kind of his "Steve Sacs" throw. 

I was there, practically standing on the NU bench.  This game felt very 80s OU to me in the 2nd half...not Sooner magic but Buff magic. I knew with that flea flicker it was probably over.  Not because we weren't capable but because SO many times over the years we just collapse and deflate instead of fighting back. They just completely stole the game and we helplessly watched them do it.  Gut punch of the decade.  

• Plus1 2

Here's where the game officially starts going downhill in my opinion. This starts at 13:36 left in the 3rd quarter and is our second possession of the second half:

1st down play is a great call; Mo picks up five yards on what looked like an outside zone (the edit on the video skipped ahead of the start of the play).

2nd down play is just a total misfire where we should have gotten the ball to Wan'Dale and he probably would have picked up the first down.

3rd down, Martinez seems to miss Mo on the check-down. This has kind of been a bit of a theme. Man that series is hard to watch...