Colorado Rewatch

BIG ERN

4 hours ago, Toe said:

Only one position on offense has a senior starter right now (Noa -or- Williams, both seniors). Out of 29 spots on the offensive depth chart for this week, only 4 are seniors, and 7 juniors. In other words, almost 2/3 of the guys on the offensive depth chart are underclassmen.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but those three seniors anchoring the lines last year were originally Bo's recruits. Now we have zero seniors on the OL depth chart, and a handful of junior Riley recruits, ie guys who were mainly recruited just for pass blocking.

I saw something that said or roster is 66% freshmen and sophomores. Which is like 5th youngest in the B1G. 

19 hours ago, Undone said:

In the Colorado game, you're definitely correct. But he didn't play well against South Alabama.

The right side of the line struggled more against the Buffaloes.

OK, I'm not calling you out on this.  I'm posting this to see what exactly you saw.

I went back and rewatched the offense in the USA game and I can only see one play where his guy made the tackle.  The vast majority of the time the guy he was blocking was taken out of the play.

I don't think he has had a penalty yet.

So, what are you seeing that makes you think he played bad?

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, I'm not calling you out on this.  I'm posting this to see what exactly you saw.

I went back and rewatched the offense in the USA game and I can only see one play where his guy made the tackle.  The vast majority of the time the guy he was blocking was taken out of the play.

I don't think he has had a penalty yet.

So, what are you seeing that makes you think he played bad?

I'm fine with being called out on that one, Buster. You're probably right.

1 minute ago, Undone said:

I'm fine with being called out on that one, Buster. You're probably right.

OK...thanks.

I thought about it again because I saw him being mentioned in another thread (and couldn't remember where or by whom) as evidence that we have issues on the line.  So, I went back and rewatched the first game.

I just can't see why people mention him as an issue.  I think the other poster simply mentioned him because he's a "walk-on" and.....that's a pet peeve of mine.

Oh well.....I hope he keeps playing well.

• Plus1 1

I wish I would have saved the tweet, but it's buried in someone's timeline and I don't recall which reporter even posted it, but I believe it was Sunday, and one of our beat guys was talking to a Colorado official, and quoted him as saying this was a classic "altitude game."

Our players have denied that altitude had anything to do with the game. But the team I saw on the field in the second half looked gassed. They battled valiantly, especially the defense in OT, but I think they're unwilling to admit that no matter how well-conditioned they are, they still played 4,000 feet above the elevation they did their summer workouts in, and it affected them.

I was super pissed Saturday after that loss. Left a family function in a funk, and still feel bad about that. But after thinking about it, I'm not willing to remain all pissed off right now.

But if we struggle with NIU, and/or lose... I'm going to set my hair on fire. :D

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Our players have denied that altitude had anything to do with the game. But the team I saw on the field in the second half looked gassed. They battled valiantly, especially the defense in OT, but I think they're unwilling to admit that no matter how well-conditioned they are, they still played 4,000 feet above the elevation they did their summer workouts in, and it affected them.

I have zero doubt it affected them and ultimately led to us losing the game.

But we can't use that excuse against them last year.  And if altitude was such a major factor, wouldn't they have a better record at home against non altitude teams?  (Assuming here, did no research, just know their record generally sucks).

It's not like the altitude was a surprise, they knew about it going in.  So why didn't they prep for it?   I get it, the best fight strategy goes out the window once you get punched in the mouth.  But 34 points allowed in the 2nd half, 80 some punts IIRC, fumble, interception, nearly a 100 yard score and to top it all off an absolutely dismal OT capped off by a sack for loss and a FG whiff from someone who clearly wasn't ready to shoulder that responsibility.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, Redux said:

But we can't use that excuse against them last year. 

The beginning of the year last year was so screwed up, I personally throw that game totally out the window with evaluating anything.

15 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's not like the altitude was a surprise, they knew about it going in.  So why didn't they prep for it? 

Honest question.  How does someone sitting in Lincoln prep for lower oxygen levels at higher altitudes?  I'm curious for this conversation but also personally.  I do a lot of hiking in the mountains and would love to be able to be ready for altitude when I get there.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Honest question.  How does someone sitting in Lincoln prep for lower oxygen levels at higher altitudes?  I'm curious for this conversation but also personally.  I do a lot of hiking in the mountains and would love to be able to be ready for altitude when I get there.

After some quick research, it looks like it can take anywhere from 3-6 weeks to adjust to altitude.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/446093-how-long-does-it-take-to-acclimate-to-elevation-when-running-a-race/

After all this, I have good news, friends and neighbors. This won't be our last shot at the dreaded CU Puffs. We have them on the schedule again in '23 and '24. 

This is what made the loss to texas in '10 so much worse. We don't know when, if ever, we'll be locking horns (ha) with them again. This means we may never have a chance at revenge for '02 when they tried to plant their stupid freaking longhorn flag at midfield on the 'N,' or for :01. 

Sorry to bring painful texas memories into this, but like I said, we aren't done with CU, not by a long shot. See you in 4 years, Ralphie.

16 minutes ago, NebraskaBison said:

After some quick research, it looks like it can take anywhere from 3-6 weeks to adjust to altitude.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/446093-how-long-does-it-take-to-acclimate-to-elevation-when-running-a-race/

They should have been wearing oxygen deprivation masks since the start of camp.  What the hell were they thinking 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I honestly don't know.  But seeing as Frost has experienced playing there, one would think he would have a bit of knowledge about it.  I'm assuming extra cardio that week would help?  I know MMA fighters do the snorkel on the treadmill to help prep for labored breathing, maybe that's something that would work?

• Haha 1