*** Official Northern Illinois Game Thread ***

Mavric

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

FIRST HALF OBSERVATIONS:

• Scott Frost is out-coaching himself (again)...and in doing so is holding this team back from it's true potential.
  • Adrian Martinez is not the same runner he was a year ago. He's still hesistant and shuffles his feet, instead of commiting to the run when its there and being willing to truck a defender if he needs to.
  • This offense badly needs a more diverse running scheme, and especially a package of Isolation plays.
  • Berry & Domann are the two best Blackshirts on the field, and it's not even close.
  • The defense as a whole have played good football tonight. The linebackers are filling their gaps with pace, and except for maybe two or three plays, the overall team defense pursuit has been solid.
  • Two and half games into the season, and it's fair to say Coach Chinander's side of the ball is a better coached unit than Frost's offense.
  • Maurice Washington is a talent. That is pure speed that you just can't coach.

Things I'd like to see in the 2nd half:

1. Dear Coach Frost...whatever you've learned from Chip Kelly about offensive playing...IGNORE IT. FORGET IT.   BE YOURSELF!                    Stop trying to be "the smartest offensive wiz in town" and just play Smart Football.
  2. Use Wan'dale Robinson's and Maurice Washington's speed on the edge...but without the flare pass. Hand it off on outside zone, or dial up speed option.
  3. Special Teams - The boat isn't sinking yet. All hands on deck, and everyone just keep bailing water to survive this game.

I can't disagree with a thing.  I think Frost is trying to "come out of his own shadow".  Just call solid plays.  Don't be cute.  A big or bust O isn't going to win a NC.  Gotta get a dependable ru game going.  No idea why Martinez is so tentative to tuck and run.  Maybe doesn't want to get injured and lose starting job?  Back ups that close?

1 minute ago, 3rd and long said:

Guess I didn’t convey it very well. Supposed to be a tongue  in cheek comment in reference to our last two second halves. I wouldn’t ever not watch. 

It's okay. It's an emotionless message board and inconvenienced electrons trying to convey more than just words. 

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

Just for you, i'm wearing my magic underwear tonight to assist you getting into heaven;)  Not like i'm getting any, the wife took the kids to the fair alone because the game was on and she's pissed at me.

So your plan to watch the game unencumbered worked.

• Haha 1
  • Mavric changed the title to *** Official Northern Illinois Game Thread ***