Starting a petition to bring back diamond formation

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think there's nothing Scott Frost would appreciate more than a crowdsourced petition on what offense he should be running. 

You don't remember that magical drive against Ohio State last year, when he finally listened to us and brought back the fullback?! We could've won if he would've stuck with that! 

• Haha 1
52 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You don't remember that magical drive against Ohio State last year, when he finally listened to us and brought back the fullback?! We could've won if he would've stuck with that! 

The next husker coach will be us fans, we just all text in to vote on the play call. We can finally get rid of those pesky coaching interfering with our team. 

5 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The next husker coach will be us fans, we just all text in to vote on the play call. We can finally get rid of those pesky coaching interfering with our team. 

That would be something to see - things like 5 straight fullback traps, a fumblerooski (resulting in a penalty since it's now illegal), and 3-4 Black Flash 41 reverses every game would be hilarious. Also a lot of diamond formation, obviously. Anyone voting for a bubble screen has their number blocked. Can't lose!

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

I kind of think we should run that play in the first quarter against Ohio State, honestly. There is basically nothing to lose; might as well try to stun them with some weird s***.

Right, I agree with that. I'm sure we're trying to catch them off guard, I just don't know if it will be trick plays, personnel, or schematic things that I won't even notice. Probably all of them to a degree. 

And for the record (and more back on topic), I liked the diamond formation and we should have run it until people started to adjust to it. But it really is a wrinkle, and I think defenses would adjust pretty quickly. It gives you 4 running threats in the backfield and you can go either way or up the middle, but it also means you're losing blockers and limiting the area on the field defense have to cover. Especially if you've got the corners to just man up on the outside, I'd stack the box with a single high safety. DE alignment can make it very difficult for the Tackle to set an edge, and 3 LBs + a box safety could pretty effectively chase things down and fill up the middle.

It definitely could be effective if 2 of the backs are duck-R guys - the threat of being able to go 4 wide or diamond is good. But again, then you're asking Wan'Dale and maybe Alante Brown to be lead blockers in the diamond. Or you're asking Rahmir/Ronald to be able to split out wide. So if it's the duck-R personnel and I'm a DC, I can live with defending the 4-wide and asking my hybrid guys to be able to play LB if the offense goes diamond. Worst case they need to get off of a slot receiver block in the box, which I could live with. All RB personnel worries me less, stack the box if it's diamond and make the RBs at WR beat me if they do go 4-wide with that personnel. The main benefit is they have to spend time preparing for it, I think there are other formations/personnel that present more challenges for the defense.