What did we learn (Ohio State edition)

r06ue1

I'm seeing that Adrian has much better poise when he rolls out because he doesn't have that fear of getting sacked. Throwing on the run is usually lower percentage, but we need to get him rolling out more. 

Frost's changeup with those quick hitter handoffs to Mills were awesome. Mills in general has shaken off his lack of vision and is running pretty well. I expect him to have another couple 100 yard games over this next stretch of four contests.

We're struggling at the safety position, and as I had feared, Alex Davis doesn't really bring us much at all as a pass rusher. This is last season all over again in passing situations as it stands now. Could improve. We need an athlete like Ty Robinson to come in next year and be able to rush the passer.

On offense...what can you even say? We've seen a lack of consistency at the QB position. When the consistency is there, this offensive scheme tallies up 500 yards like it's nothing. When it's not there, drives stall and we turn the ball over.

I learned that I just watched maybe the best Ohio State team I've seen in 15 years.  Their offensive line and defensive lines are even better than the 2015 group which was unholy.  

Frost was still able to scheme openings and potential big plays but 2AM wasn't able to execute.

It appears that Vegas has Nebraska pegged perfectly with a preseason win total of 7.5.

Next 4 games are completely winnable

NW--absolute dumpster fire on offense

Minnesota--fun matchup, should be high scoring.  Minnesota can't run the ball...at all.  Strange given their stable of backs and giant O-Line.  Stud WRs tho

Indiana has a couple nice pieces but their skill guys seem like poor man's versions of NUs with the exception of Stevie Scott who is a thumper.

Purdue--Appear to be an absolute MASH unit--Sindelar/Moore are gonna be done for a while, they lost their best defender earlier this year and Washington, their guard appears to be hurt too.

A 4-0 run puts NU at 7-2 with 2 weeks to prepare for Wisconsin who will be going through a tough run of 4 (well 3, Illinois stinks) with Michigan State, at Ohio State and then Iowa

• Thanks 1

Anyone see Farniok explain that his weakness blocking is on the edge? He was going up against an all-American, but that is a starting tackle saying that is his weakness. 

Seems problematic. 

On facing Ohio State defensive end Chase Young

“It was a hard challenge, he’s a really good player. He’s a guy that his strengths are my kind of weaknesses. He attacked my edges. I’m a better power blocker and a speed rusher.

1 hour ago, VizionNE said:

Anyone see Farniok explain that his weakness blocking is on the edge? He was going up against an all-American, but that is a starting tackle saying that is his weakness. 

Seems problematic. 

On facing Ohio State defensive end Chase Young

“It was a hard challenge, he’s a really good player. He’s a guy that his strengths are my kind of weaknesses. He attacked my edges. I’m a better power blocker and a speed rusher.

What does he mean "speed rusher"?

8 minutes ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

I think he means that he’s more built for the inside and run blocking against DTs rather than being on the outside in pass-pro against an athletic “speed rusher” like Chase Young. That’s how I took it but I could be wrong.

Wouldn't he have said "I'm a better power blocker than a speed rusher (blocker)"?   Since he said "and" maybe he is referring to Chase Young as not a speed rusher and more of a juke around you kind of rusher.  IDK, is he any good as a speed rusher blocker?  He seems kind of slow and un-athletic.

5 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I learned that I just watched maybe the best Ohio State team I've seen in 15 years.  Their offensive line and defensive lines are even better than the 2015 group which was unholy.  

Frost was still able to scheme openings and potential big plays but 2AM wasn't able to execute.

It appears that Vegas has Nebraska pegged perfectly with a preseason win total of 7.5.

Next 4 games are completely winnable

NW--absolute dumpster fire on offense

Minnesota--fun matchup, should be high scoring.  Minnesota can't run the ball...at all.  Strange given their stable of backs and giant O-Line.  Stud WRs tho

Indiana has a couple nice pieces but their skill guys seem like poor man's versions of NUs with the exception of Stevie Scott who is a thumper.

Purdue--Appear to be an absolute MASH unit--Sindelar/Moore are gonna be done for a while, they lost their best defender earlier this year and Washington, their guard appears to be hurt too.

A 4-0 run puts NU at 7-2 with 2 weeks to prepare for Wisconsin who will be going through a tough run of 4 (well 3, Illinois stinks) with Michigan State, at Ohio State and then Iowa

2 weeks to prepare for Wisconsin.  Need more like 2 years if we are being honest. I would really like to take a money bet with you if you are taking Neb. straight up against Wisconsin this year.  And it wouldn't matter if we wiped the schedule and just started working on them today.

6 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Wouldn't he have said "I'm a better power blocker than a speed rusher (blocker)"?   Since he said "and" maybe he is referring to Chase Young as not a speed rusher and more of a juke around you kind of rusher.  IDK, is he any good as a speed rusher blocker?  He seems kind of slow and un-athletic.

Idk, maybe he misspoke? That’s the only other explanation I can think of. Either way it doesn’t make sense as there’s no way to refer to an o-lineman as a speed rusher. Also I do agree that he seems slow and un-athletic. Correct me if I’m wrong but he was brought in as an OG right? That would sort of explain his struggles at OT.

3 minutes ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

Idk, maybe he misspoke? That’s the only other explanation I can think of. Either way it doesn’t make sense as there’s no way to refer to an o-lineman as a speed rusher. Also I do agree that he seems slow and un-athletic. Correct me if I’m wrong but he was brought in as an OG right? That would sort of explain his struggles at OT.

Correction. I went and rewatched the interview and he did say “ I’m a better power blocker than I am a speed rusher” makes a little more sense than saying “and”

• Plus1 1

We have to find better offensive and defensive linemen, full stop. And quickly.

These matchups are so lopsided against us whenever we come up against a good opponent that it doesn't allow anything we want to do offensively to work. There is no plan B and plan C if you are completely unable to block anyone.

Competence and physical dominance on the lines are the only way back.

8 minutes ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

Correction. I went and rewatched the interview and he did say “ I’m a better power blocker than I am a speed rusher” makes a little more sense than saying “and”

So he meant he's not so good at blocking speed rushers.  Makes more sense.  Thanks for looking into it.

• Plus1 1