Keys to victory vs Indiana

We've got a banged-up team that is likely very short on confidence at the moment, and Indiana who is playing well this year is coming to town as a couple Point favorite in this game.

There are two main ways to win a game.

1) score more points than the other team

2) hold the other team to less points than you score

Aside from those, what are going to be the main keys for victory today in your eyes? I'll start.

1. Run the ball well on offense

2. Stop the run on defense - force predictable 3rd downs

3. Be mentally tough - this will likely be a close game, so the guys must be ready to play a full game with intensity

I think if we do those three things, we will win the game. To add one more point, I would say it would be nice to win the turnover battle as well.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Turnovers are huge in a game like this. Can't give the ball away. Run run run the ball. Mills might struggle a bit downhill bit we need it so we can go wide with Rahmir and Wandale. I think plays to the outside will work as they have a slower front 7, but that can't be the whole game plan. It needs to be sprinkled in to be effective. 

• Plus1 1
53 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

We've got a banged-up team that is likely very short on confidence at the moment, and Indiana who is playing well this year is coming to town as a couple Point favorite in this game.

Aside from those, what are going to be the main keys for victory today in your eyes? I'll start.

3. Be mentally tough - this will likely be a close game, so the guys must be ready to play a full game with intensity

I think if we do those three things, we will win the game. To add one more point, I would say it would be nice to win the turnover battle as well.

I think those are all critical points. The other one is we need to pressure the QB today. They have a good passing attack and our DBs can only cover so long. Find a way to pressure the QB whatever that takes. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, ActualCornHusker said:

We haven’t shown the ability to do those 3 things all year 

Play smart disciplined football and we should always beat 75% of our competitors in conference.  Our 4-year recruiting team rankings put us around 5th in the league, and I believe we are first or near first among the BIG West teams when you average the prior 4 years of recruiting.  I realize we may have had more attrition than other schools with the coaching change, but even with some of that, on paper we have the talent to win most games in this league if we can play smart disciplined ball.

Now enough of my soapbox. :)

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Play smart disciplined football and we should always beat 75% of our competitors in conference.  Our 4-year recruiting team rankings put us around 5th in the league, and I believe we are first or near first among the BIG West teams when you average the prior 4 years of recruiting.  I realize we may have had more attrition than other schools with the coaching change, but even with some of that, on paper we have the talent to win most games in this league if we can play smart disciplined ball.

Now enough of my soapbox. :)

I don't disagree with your take. But i will add also that our veteran players learned losing habits & had sh!t S&C for the first 2-3 yrs of their career

• Fire 1