247 Looks at the 2016 and 2017 Recruiting Classes

Mavric

9 hours ago, Hilltop said:

He had good intentions but the system changed making some of his recruits obsolete.  If he had stayed, some of those guys may be "hits" since they were a fit for his system.  Reality is a rebuild every three years with a system change is bad for any class/classes of recruits at any program.  Riley wasn't good for Nebraska but he isn't the sole reason many of those guys aren't here now or aren't preforming.

Eh ... maybe one of the QBs.  Other than that, there's not a good reason why anyone else couldn't have played in a new system.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Fru said:

Wasn’t the 2018 class an attrition disaster too? 

Out of 24 signees:

Hits - Martinez, Jurgens, Tannor, Honas, DWilliams, Taylor-Britt, Pickering

Misses - Washington, CJJones, Smith, Woodyard, Bell, Hunt, MJones, Alston, McGriff, Legrone, MWilliams, Watt, Canty

Jury Still Out - Wildeman, Farinok, Rogers, Clark

7 Hits so far with 4 TBD.  13 Misses.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Out of 24 signees:

Misses - Washington, CJJones, Smith, Woodyard, Bell, Hunt, MJones, Alston, McGriff, Legrone, MWilliams, Watt, Canty

I'd argue Alston belongs in the TBD category, but he does seem to be the longest shot to contribute. Clark and Rogers have gotten their feet wet, Farniok is on the 2-deep, and Wildeman had a lot of guys in front of him but now is his chance.

As long as the TBDs turn into contributors that's not terrible - just not enough to overcome all our other issues. Definitely feels like a high attrition rate, but I think some of that is more guys transfer instead of sticking around as non-contributors which is a good thing.

• Plus1 1

One would reasonably hope and expect that Frost and Co will get better and better in recruiting guys with talent and “fit” and the right

stuff as each year comes as they have mots more time and communication with guys. The first class was just a few weeks so u expect a crap shoot of third and fourth choices.  The second class was still limited some by being behind on lots of guys whose recruiting began two or three yrs earlier.  This third class and going forward should be more indicative of the kinds the staff really wants and knows much more about.  

That being said, today’s recruiting environment is much more fluid and the attitudes and mindset of teenagers today has got to be tougher than ever to read correctly.  

This must be so frustrating for Frost.   Are kids as mature and serious about sports, school, etc as they once were?   Idk but have my doubts to say the least. 

49 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Out of 24 signees:

Personally I would slide Clark into the hit category. I think Farniok will be a career backup. The other 2 are hard to say but if they ended up turning out that's not a bad class all things considered. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Hilltop said:

He had good intentions but the system changed making some of his recruits obsolete.  If he had stayed, some of those guys may be "hits" since they were a fit for his system.  Reality is a rebuild every three years with a system change is bad for any class/classes of recruits at any program.  Riley wasn't good for Nebraska but he isn't the sole reason many of those guys aren't here now or aren't preforming.

At the time he left I also thought he had good intentions.  But then within a few months of Riley being at Oregon State three pretty decent players bailed out to join him ( Tristan Gebbia, WR Tyjon Lindsey and LB Avery Roberts).  It's pretty clear that he actively recruited them to follow him to OSU.  

You might ask, "Did he owe us any allegiance--given we fired him?"  Well, this came at a time when we were paying him a little over $2 million per year in buy-out money.  So, yeah.  For that kind of coin you'd think he could have kept our best interests in mind.  Or at least not screwed us over.    

Riley isn't as nice a guy as what he appears to be in press conferences.  He'l like an evil Mr. Rogers (of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood).

• Thanks 3
6 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

I'm still trying to figure out why I thought 2016 was Frost's first (transition) class, and 2017 was last year...Pacific standard time?

It's understandable Husk.  Actually I'm still trying to figure out what time zone I'm in tbh.....but it seems that whenever I look at the clock it's between 4:20 and 5:00.........  

Judging by your taste in music at least there is someone out there worse off than me though.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NUance said:

At the time he left I also thought he had good intentions.  But then within a few months of Riley being at Oregon State three pretty decent players bailed out to join him ( Tristan Gebbia, WR Tyjon Lindsey and LB Avery Roberts).  It's pretty clear that he actively recruited them to follow him to OSU.  

You might ask, "Did he owe us any allegiance--given we fired him?"  Well, this came at a time when we were paying him a little over $2 million per year in buy-out money.  So, yeah.  For that kind of coin you'd think he could have kept our best interests in mind.  Or at least not screwed us over.    

Riley isn't as nice a guy as what he appears to be in press conferences.  He'l like an evil Mr. Rogers (of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood).

People on the surface, are often not who they are at heart, sometimes better, sometimes worse.  So i get your point.  But not sure we really know Mike well enough to know.  But just cause Mike portrayed a nice image and Bo portayed a d!(k image, doesn't mean Mike is a good dude, or Bo is a bad dude at heart.  Anyways.....now we have Frost and i like him the mostest.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh ... maybe one of the QBs.  Other than that, there's not a good reason why anyone else couldn't have played in a new system.

I believe there is more to the system than actual formations and plays.  Riley's system managed players differently.  I'm definitely not a fan of how he ran things but he recruited certain types of guys that fit his soft management style of the team.  I do think some players respond to that and struggle with a hard nosed culture.   

1 hour ago, BigPeterJ said:

I...  Judging by your taste in music at least there is someone out there worse off than me though.

Funny..I was in 4th grade when that song came out...But I wouldn't discover it until I was 50 and saw a movie about the Runaways...an all girl punk band that covered it.

8 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I believe there is more to the system than actual formations and plays.  Riley's system managed players differently.  I'm definitely not a fan of how he ran things but he recruited certain types of guys that fit his soft management style of the team.  I do think some players respond to that and struggle with a hard nosed culture.   

It would have been nice if we could have kept Bookie and Tyjon, and Avery Roberts.  If those 3 guys dont leave with Mike's firing, last year would have been a completely different story.  Exactly what we needed was the holes filled from where those guys would have been playing.  Why our recruiting rankings from 2016 and 2017 mean nothing, we lost most of our best players from those years.

13 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

It would have been nice if we could have kept Bookie and Tyjon, and Avery Roberts.  If those 3 guys dont leave with Mike's firing, last year would have been a completely different story.  Exactly what we needed was the holes filled from where those guys would have been playing.  Why our recruiting rankings from 2016 and 2017 mean nothing, we lost most of our best players from those years.

Avery Roberts maybe, but not really sure I see it with the other two.  They haven't yet shown to be anywhere near the difference makers we lacked.

• Fire 1