The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Sure, I get that...but they are making more money than they normally do...so they fit exactly what you said and they're in the grocery business.

So, I'm not sure if there was an article out there or something that you were alluding to...but it would be helpful if you could provide a link to it.  Obviously, being a part of a grocery store conglomerate, I have interest.

I was using them as an example of people who make lower end incomes (over half the store I would imagine) and are asked to work around a ton of foot traffic when peoples are sitting at home collecting larger than normal paychecks 

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I was using them as an example of people who make lower end incomes (over half the store I would imagine) and are asked to work around a ton of foot traffic when peoples are sitting at home collecting larger than normal paychecks 

It's weird people focus on this scratch while ignoring the gunshot wound of corporations lobbying to create tax breaks that result in billions of unpaid taxes year after year after year.

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Waldo said:

Crazy people are making more money being unemployed during this than they made working. Feel bad for the grocery store workers making 12 bucks an hour missing out on free money. 

What do you suggest we do for all of those out of work because of this? Or are you just suggesting those that are working should get more? 

27 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

What do you suggest we do for all of those out of work because of this? Or are you just suggesting those that are working should get more? 

I think those working at The McDonalds, gas stations, and grocery stores are getting the shaft. They are exposed to tons of people and aren’t getting the same compensation as someone who got laid off from the movie theater. Sucks to be them right now. 
For those of them living paycheck to paycheck, I would probably want to be laid off right now. 

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

I think those working at The McDonalds, gas stations, and grocery stores are getting the shaft. They are exposed to tons of people and aren’t getting the same compensation as someone who got laid off from the movie theater. Sucks to be them right now. 
For those of them living paycheck to paycheck, I would probably want to be laid off right now. 

Gotcha. Totally understand where you are coming from. I work food service and while my hours have been cut way down I'm still doing togo service 3 times a week. I applied for partial UI. Wonder how many in that category would qualify for that. I suppose if you are still full time or have more hours you would miss the boat. We should be doing more for those people.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

More please!!!

2,500 a month to every person over 17 for 4 months.

That would be a good workaround. I don't think everyone needs 2500 but means testing the money just means it will go slower so a UBI would probably be best 

15 hours ago, Waldo said:

I've been trying to look, but not having a lot of luck.  So if you know the answer, I'm just going to ask you.

An employee at the grocery store "should" (I know there are some unintended gaps) still get the stimulus check, right?

A person who collects unemployment usually gets about 50-75% of their regular income, right?

So my question, is there something in this stimulus bill that makes unemployment pay out more than it normally does?

If not, a person would make more by working and gettin 100% pay (maybe even overtime) plus the stimulus check. 

EDIT:  nm.  I just found a good explanation.  Holy s#!t, an extra $2400 a month on top of 50-75% of regular pay.  Wow...

The way we're throwing money away without prejudice...there is no real explanation why we can't have free healthcare, college reimbursements, and roads without potholes!

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I've been trying to look, but not having a lot of luck.  So if you know the answer, I'm just going to ask you.

An employee at the grocery store "should" (I know there are some unintended gaps) still get the stimulus check, right?

A person who collects unemployment usually gets about 50-75% of their regular income, right?

So my question, is there something in this stimulus bill that makes unemployment pay out more than it normally does?

If not, a person would make more by working and gettin 100% pay (maybe even overtime) plus the stimulus check. 

EDIT:  nm.  I just found a good explanation.  Holy s#!t, an extra $2400 a month on top of 50-75% of regular pay.  Wow...

The way we're throwing money away without prejudice...there is no real explanation why we can't have free healthcare, college reimbursements, and roads without potholes!

The roads without potholes is a dream that can't be reached...not here in Omaha.  Ha