The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

You can't tell what he's claiming at all from this. It's just a list of countries and when they hit their peak.

Also, he says in a reply he doesn't agree with controlling for population, but you have to control for either population or population density or some combination. An imaginary country with 2 people per square mile vs. one with 200 per square mile is going to look a lot different even if they both took the virus equally as seriously and both did an equally good job of responding.

He is also starting them off on the same date, even though China is different distances away from and has different connections with different countries.

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Source? 

Just twitter talk stuff.  Some people claiming that a lot of s#!t is being marked Covid right now.  Hopefully it isn't true but one would imagine that some are being marked incorrectly.  

Then there was this article which sort of goes along those lines but seems like it is sort of on the fence

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/feds-classify-all-coronavirus-patient-deaths-as-covid-19-deaths/

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Just twitter talk stuff.  Some people claiming that a lot of s#!t is being marked Covid right now.  Hopefully it isn't true but one would imagine that some are being marked incorrectly.  

Then there was this article which sort of goes along those lines but seems like it is sort of on the fence

https://nypost.com/2020/04/07/feds-classify-all-coronavirus-patient-deaths-as-covid-19-deaths/

I'm not sure what else you want them to do. It's either count presumed cases or vastly underreport the death count because the testing isn't being done. I would be more worried that the number is going to be underreported rather than inflated. Marking down presumed cases and comorbidities as COVID relared deaths is not going to massively and inaccurately inflate the death count, if anything it will get us closer to the real number

• Plus1 1
Just now, Red Five said:

Exactly and its exactly why changing to counting presumed positives is needed. The lack of testing has made that the only course of action that can yield us semi accurate results

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'm not sure what else you want them to do. It's either count presumed cases or vastly underreport the death count because the testing isn't being done. I would be more worried that the number is going to be underreported rather than inflated. Marking down presumed cases and comorbidities as COVID relared deaths is not going to massively and inaccurately inflate the death count, if anything it will get us closer to the real number

I don't know what I want them to do.  I was just passing along stuff.

You don't have to yell at me!!!!  

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't know what I want them to do.  I was just passing along stuff.

Misleading stuff. They aren't marking down *everything* as COVID and I'm not sure why you would hate people for trying to get a more accurate picture of the death count 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Misleading stuff. They aren't marking down everything and I'm not sure why you would hate people for trying to get a more accurate picture of the death count 

I guess I would look at it like this.

Say you have AIDS...and then you die of a respiratory illness.  Do you mark down that the cause of death was AIDS or respiratory illness?

Also, "I hate people" i just a Seinfeld reference.   

I am not a conspiracy dork.  Just seemed sort of odd.   And obviously I don't mean "everything".  

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Say you have AIDS...and then you die of a respiratory illness.  Do you mark down that the cause of death was AIDS or respiratory illness?

I am not a conspiracy dork.  Just seemed sort of odd.   And obviously I don't mean "everything".  

Would you have died from that respiratory illness had you not had AIDS? Probably not, and in most cases the doctor can determine that. In the article you posted Birx said the percentage of people who would have died at the same time regardless because of conditions they already had is very low. Most people are managing their underlying conditions and aren't about to die immediately. Comorbidity is still COVID related because you have to get COVID for the other condition to become fatal. 

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Would you have died from that respiratory illness had you not had AIDS? Probably not, and in most cases the doctor can determine that. In the article you posted Birx said the percentage of people who would have died at the same time regardless because of conditions they already had is very low. Most people are managing their underlying conditions and aren't about to die immediately. Comorbidity is still COVID related because you have to get COVID for the other condition to become fatal. 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

There is no evidence anyone is over estimating Covid-19 deaths, and ample evidence they’re underestimating. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1