The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

14 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Crazy an antibiotic can’t kill a viral infection. So smart of coronavirus to be a virus and not bacteria.

Years ago when my friend broke his leg...I put a small Band-Aid on it...you won't believe this...but the fracture was so smart that the Band-Aid did not help.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I wouldn't worry too much about this, I don't think there has been any cases of REinfection (maybe a false positive, followed by an actual infection, or a return of symptoms after a short period of no symptoms). All the studies I have seen point to immunity , not sure how long that will last, but SARS is a close cousin - and it lasts 8-10 years. Scientists think immunity with COVID could be as low as 2 years - but there is an immune response. And it if it's like any other virus studied, a second infection would be far more mild in most cases. 

I have just heard anecdotal evidence of the reactivation being worse than the original infection. That could be insignificant data wise. I guess the reason the reactivation worries me is we don't know much about it. Does a person become more infectious again? Are they still infectious in the in between period where they feel better for a short time? These things will impact spread 

AND THE BAND PLAYED ON

A very good article on how trump's delays, ignoring the pending crisis has cost America

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2020/04/09/instead-prepping-coronavirus-trump-partied-golfed-held-fundraisers/2941076001/

“Came out of nowhere,” Trump mused of the novel coronavirus as he held up the signed bill for the clicking and flashing cameras, “but we’re taking care of it.”

“The United States is one of the richest countries the world has ever seen,” said Heather Boushey, head of the Washington Center for Equitable Growth, a nonprofit economic research and grantmaking organization. “It has enormous resources. But it needs good management to marshal those resources. What we’ve got is six-year-olds playing soccer. There’s no strategy, no plan.”

The experts said it’s obvious that the U.S. would be best equipped to manage the impact of COVID-19 if the efforts to secure equipment, increase testing and shore up the economy had begun back in January, when Trump was reportedly already receiving warnings from intelligence officials and key advisors that the virus would inevitably spread through the country. And they contended that in the last month, Trump's response remains disorganized and lacking.

But they said that taking significant action during that one week before he declared a national emergency would have made a measurable difference.

Patrick Corbin of Washington Nationals posted an image on Instagram with President Trump on March 8.

Patrick Corbin of Washington Nationals posted an image on Instagram with President Trump on March 8. Instagram

“In an emergency, every day matters,” said Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine and infectious diseases at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. “Every week matters.”

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I have just heard anecdotal evidence of the reactivation being worse than the original infection. That could be insignificant data wise. I guess the reason the reactivation worries me is we don't know much about it. Does a person become more infectious again? Are they still infectious in the in between period where they feel better for a short time? These things will impact spread 

Sounds like there could be any number of reasons for a false positive or negative test. Below is a Time article on it.

https://time.com/5810454/coronavirus-immunity-reinfection/

A study on recovered COVID-19 patients in the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen found that 38 out of 262, or almost 15% of the patients, tested positive after they were discharged. They were confirmed via PCR (polymerase chain reaction) tests, currently the gold standard for coronavirus testing. The study has yet to be peer reviewed, but offers some early insight into the potential for re-infection. The 38 patients were mostly young (below the age of 14) and displayed mild symptoms during their period of infection. The patients generally were not symptomatic at the time of their second positive test.

In Wuhan, China, where the pandemic began, researchers looked at a case study of four medical workers who had three consecutive positive PCR tests after having seemingly recovered. Similar to the study in Shenzhen, the patients were asymptomatic and their family members were not infected.

Outside of China, at least two such cases have also been reported in Japan (including oneDiamond Princess cruise passenger) and one case was reported in South Korea. All three of them reportedly showed symptoms of infection after an initial recovery, and then re-tested as positive.