The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

I put it in the other Covid thread, but probably get more input here:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/17/health/santa-clara-coronavirus-infections-study/index.html

Is this good news or bad news?

"Possible" Bad news: it has spread much further than we've thought.

"Possible" Good news, it makes the mortality rate a lot less scary (still worse than the flu though...)

5 hours ago, ZRod said:

Visual is a good first check. If it looks funny, something probably isn't right.

Go to John Hopkins COVID site; you can look at the data from every other country and the trends will vary but their are groups that look similar to one another. China's matches nobody else's patterns. It's entirely unique and the way it drops to almost nothing so quickly doesn't seem realistic.I would expect that you would still see some transmission as people were locked inside with each other during the quarantine.

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I agree that the China data is fishy. Where we disagree is that that one chart of the cases over times somehow proves the Chinese are lying. I'm saying it's a bunch of different evidence that makes their data untrustworthy (mostly that they have a history of lying) and not a single smoking gun.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I agree that the China data is fishy. Where we disagree is that that one chart of the cases over times somehow proves the Chinese are lying. I'm saying it's a bunch of different evidence that makes their data untrustworthy (mostly that they have a history of lying) and not a single smoking gun.

That's why I'm drawing the conclusion I am. Their history, and the data we see stinks. It looks like they were reporting accurately to begin with, but something probably got massaged and for the last month it hasn't passed the smell test to me.

Pretty good story on the evolving GOP strategy. They know dialing up the criticism on China is the only viable alternative to defending their incompetence so that's going to be the play. If this plays out anything like 2016, Trump's going to crank up the xenophobia and racism eventually to get people riled up.

On interesting blurb in here says a GOP pollster has seen a private GOP poll that has Trump down double-digits in Michigan. That's a really, really bad harbinger for the fall - private polls are generally several points more optimistic than the reality for the party that commissioned them. So a double-digit deficit could be understating his problems there.

On 4/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, BlitzFirst said:

I live here.  This irritates me.

To kill time yesterday I drove around for a while (in Minneapolis and St Paul). Every single park I passed by was packed. The trail looping around a popular lake was a congested nightmare. Basketball courts all had full 3-on-3 or 5-on-5 games happening. I'm not sure that I saw this many people at these locations at any point last year.

I've largely applauded our governor's response to the crisis, closing "non-essential" businesses early (you can't convince me that Cabelas and certain others are essential), but I have been vocal in complaining that the parks are still open. Everyone is going to flock to wherever they are allowed to go. If we are actually going to shut things down let's do it right and not leave pockets for people to flock to.

Trump's miracle drugs - are falling flat in real control tests

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/malaria-drugs-fail-to-help-coronavirus-patients-in-controlled-studies/ar-BB12O60W

The malaria drugs touted by President Donald Trump as potentially “the biggest game changers in the history of medicine” have received a decidedly more sober assessment of their coronavirus-fighting potential from researchers in China, France and Brazil.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1