The P&R Plague Thread (Covid-19)

Remember when Republicans said they couldn't vote for Hillary because she would peddle access to the office? Pay for play, I think they called it?

Welp, here's how firmly S Dakotan Republicans hold to that standard.

So her big donor is getting the contract to push Trump's debunked drug onto the citizens of her state.

• Thanks 1

I completed the survey requested by Gov Ricketts at testnebraska.com  and it certainly did not take long. 

It is not as in depth as I thought, but possibly because neither of us in my household have exhibited symptoms. I hope the information sets in motion a reasonable path to loosening the DHM standards now in place.

I thought it was interesting that they added these factoids at the end:

image.png.74c1dcf09640749c13f49259f7c24124.png

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's me. I don't know when I'm going to feel comfortable going out like normal again.

This might be a question for the legislation thread, but under the CARES act people who are unemployed because of the virus get extra benefits.  I would assume that once people go back to work, they would lose those unemployment benefits.

So my question: a waiter goes back to work and loses his benefit.  What happens when he/she is let go "again" because people just aren't coming to the restaurant?  

21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

That's me. I don't know when I'm going to feel comfortable going out like normal again.

Well, I've had this question on my mind this week. At some point, I need to travel some for work.  So...let's say I need to travel in one month.  Should I drive where I'll be away from home longer so I'll be staying in more hotels, eating in roadside restaurants that might not be open, filling up with gas, all while traveling through more areas that might be heavier infected than my own town...etc.  Or, fly in a plane that might only have 10 people in it and everyone could spread out?

Comfortability doesn't necessarily mean will or won't, though. It may take a little bit of time, but I think a lot of people will experience a sort of trickle effect with a return to normalcy. Maybe they'll get their hair cut, grab a bit to eat the next day, and then the next thing you know they're rationalizing everything's OK again.

• Fire 1
23 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Comfortability doesn't necessarily mean will or won't, though. It may take a little bit of time, but I think a lot of people will experience a sort of trickle effect with a return to normalcy. Maybe they'll get their hair cut, grab a bit to eat the next day, and then the next thing you know they're rationalizing everything's OK again.

Yeah, the "how will this ever be normal again" people are not being honest with themselves in regards to how quickly we sort of "get over" things.

• Plus1 1

Lawlessness led by our county sheriffs.  Betcha $10 they are tRump supporters too.:cop::smokin

https://www.greenwichtime.com/opinion/article/Constitutionalist-sheriffs-won-t-enforce-15220593.php

In Snohomish County, Washington, Sheriff Adam Fortney is refusing to enforce the governor's stay-at-home order. He claims the order "intrudes on our right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." On April 22, he told constituents via a Facebook post that "along with other elected Sheriffs around our state, the Snohomish County Sheriff's Office will not be enforcing an order preventing religious freedoms or constitutional rights."

These Washington sheriffs are far from alone. They're part of a nationwide group of sheriffs who feel beholden to no one but their voters. As they have on issues such as immigration and gun regulations, they will lead rebellions against higher levels of government - in this case, undermining public health efforts in the name of their interpretation of the U.S. Constitution. Here's how.

- Sheriffs are unlike other elected officials

Unlike police chiefs or commissioners who are generally appointed, sheriffs are law enforcement officials elected by residents of their counties. While research finds that police generally try to carry out their responsibilities in a nonpartisan manner, sheriffs are influenced by the desire to be reelected. Sheriffs run for office in the same way that members of Congress or the president do: they run on campaign platforms they believe will win a majority of votes. Sheriffs' campaign platforms consist of their political and law enforcement records, personal philosophies and policy priorities.

What sheriffs promise to do is quite likely to come true, because they have much more autonomy than do other elected officials. Legislators can't do much without first going through lengthy and involved policymaking efforts that involve collaborating with their fellow legislators. Governors and presidents have to work with the legislative branch of government. Because sheriffs don't have these constraints, their personal attitudes are quite likely to affect how they carry out their jobs.

For example, research finds that sheriffs choose whether and how they cooperate with federal immigration authorities. On one end of the spectrum is a group of sheriffs in North Carolina who campaigned on the promise to cut ties between their offices and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Since their elections, they have refused to honor immigration detainers, which are official ICE requests to take custody of someone who has been arrested; these sheriffs no longer allow ICE into county jails. On the other end of the spectrum was Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Ariz., well known for relentlessly policing immigration status, at the expense of civil rights and neglecting other aspects of his job.

Now combine that popular mandate from being directly elected with law enforcement power. What you get are sheriffs willing and able to lead local rebellions against the government - something that for decades has been happening from a group known as "constitutionalist sheriffs."

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

As of 4/21 NYC had 5,115 hospitalizations for my age group (18-44), and 51,217 positives for my age group. The USC/LA Health Department antibody study estimated the amount of people with Covid was (on the low end) 28x higher than the amount of positives they had at the time. So lets say that NYC is only catching 1/10 (I know they are different cities, but NYC antibody data is not available yet), that's 5,115 hospitalization for 512,170 cases. That's a less than 1% hospitalization rate for the 18-44 age group, including the high risk folks (obesity, heart disease, diabetes).

*Disclaimer - I don't think I fudged up the numbers, but I may have, also I'm not a expert - just a dude that works in healthcare that is fascinated with this.

I say this to make two points. First, my biggest fear is not me or my household - its passing this off to a high risk group, I would not fear for my personal safety leaving the house. Second, if we could develop a strategy to open up the country to low risk groups, develop immunity amongst them, and protect the high risk groups - I think that could be a feasible plan. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I really don't get it.  I mean, I "get it" in the sense that I get crazy gun owners that feel the "right" to have a machine gun so that they can hunt a rabbit...but like...I don't get how hard it is to just sort of follow some pretty basic rules.

I’m guessing a lot of folks similar those hypothetical machine gun toting, rabbit hunting crazies are in that sheriffs county.  They’re the type who are not going to be told what to do and think pretty much any law infringes on their freedom.   He’s just catering to his voters.  Sort of like the sheriff in Virginia who was going to refuse to enforce new state firearm laws. 

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

As of 4/21 NYC had 5,115 hospitalizations for my age group (18-44), and 51,217 positives for my age group. The USC/LA Health Department antibody study estimated the amount of people with Covid was (on the low end) 28x higher than the amount of positives they had at the time. So lets say that NYC is only catching 1/10 (I know they are different cities, but NYC antibody data is not available yet), that's 5,115 hospitalization for 512,170 cases. That's a less than 1% hospitalization rate for the 18-44 age group, including the high risk folks (obesity, heart disease, diabetes).

*Disclaimer - I don't think I fudged up the numbers, but I may have, also I'm not a expert - just a dude that works in healthcare that is fascinated with this.

I say this to make two points. First, my biggest fear is not me or my household - its passing this off to a high risk group, I would not fear for my personal safety leaving the house. Second, if we could develop a strategy to open up the country to low risk groups, develop immunity amongst them, and protect the high risk groups - I think that could be a feasible plan. 

Be aware that there's some experts who are skeptical of the USC/LA antibody study (which I think is the Stanford one).

7 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I’m guessing a lot of folks similar those hypothetical machine gun toting, rabbit hunting crazies are in that sheriffs county.  They’re the type who are not going to be told what to do and think pretty much any law infringes on their freedom.   He’s just catering to his voters.  Sort of like the sheriff in Virginia who was going to refuse to enforce new state firearm laws. 

That would make sense.